Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

How would dungeons work in AOC?

ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
edited June 2018 in Ashes of Creation Design
So what kind of dungeons would you guys want to see and how would you like it to be implemented in an open world?

I for once would love an growing dungeon with multiple levels and puzzles were you need to work as a team and by team i mean max 5-6 people.

I hope the dungeons are with epic bosses that drop epic loot like old school mmo’s did and not like guild wars 2 wich had no reward.

By multiple levels i would Love to see another team that got instanced to a different part of the dungeon, but you see them pass by on an higher platform.
Image a dark dungeon and you and youre teammates see a light in the distance and that is the second team that is exploring.
Maybe even join forces in some part of the dungeons or who gets to the boss first.

I would not mind if a dungeon would be instanced and took around 2/3 hours to complete as long as it rewards the party in the end.

An undersea cavern were you first need to swim too or an dungeon high up in the mountains or an haunted mansion/village.

And bossfights should be a big thing were maybe even cinematics should occur were bosses break trough to a different room or the platform below were you and youre party need to go to, to continue the fight.

I see great idea's so iam going to put them here and call it ''Dynamic dungeon system'':

- Long dungeon runs (maybe even days) with huge preparations.

- Strong minibosses and an tactical and hard to kill endboss. (heres in idea maybe there is an hidden chamber that contains an weakness for the endboss that helps out alot)

- Specific classes that can unlock certain hints that could give and advantage or shortcut.

- Parts of the dungeon being bobby trapped.

Comments

• I want a full on TTRPG dungeon where you have to spend weeks planning and getting ready. You have to clear floors which are defended by mobs, and mini-bosses and each area gets harder and harder. You could find safe regions and camp out, but you may have the chance to be ambushed while you sleep or you could have a ranger set traps to defend you or a mage to place wards.

You should also have to explore to find items and gear which may be bobby trapped which may take you away from the primary goal but it may lead to a shortcut. I would also love it if the area and the enemies had lore for why they are there. Say it may be a tomb that you raid, but the tomb was the resting place of dead heroes who defended Verea so you may feel guilty for attacking and not the use all oh its undead kill them.

One feature that I would like to see if it's at all possible is having other parties enter at the same time, and you can join up or fight. I can imagine two groups meet in the tomb and decide to team up the go through hell and kill the final boss, but at the last moment one group turns on another and steals their loot. Not sure if this would ever happen, but it gives a real-world feel to the game.

all in all I just want freedom and lore and not some basic dungeon that can be repeated over and over again. 

• I'd love to see skill based shortcuts. Whether it be gathering, production, or crafting based skill check or a specific class leading to new lore or shortcuts. 

Examples would be hey a necromancer comes across a few unmarked graves, he communes with the corpses and finds out there is a secret lever in the wall that leads to a shortcut to the armory. Or hey a very skilled armorer is running the dungeon. The group comes across some treasure but the armorer notices that most of it is fake... good fakes, but fakes. A farmer might spot some fruit growing that look dangerous but they know it is just a mutation of a normal fruit, and it ends up giving a temporary buff for the party.

I just want a lot of flavor and details to this game. Those are the things that give a game life. No one wants another generic mmorpg. We want a world to play/live in.
  • The last thing I want for dungeon is to be instanced with very rare exceptions for heavily lore based dungeons. In my opinion they ruin the open world experience, because what is the point of open world where people are separated from each other? At that point I could go play Diablo or Path of Exile.

Other then that I would love to see a variety in them. Some could be simply difficult monster wide, but would not require much thinking. Other would require you to solve difficult puzzles in order to progress. Variety of tasks and activities in general in mmos are important, but that variety can also be applied to dungeons themselves.

Last thing about dungeons is that I want to have them unpredictable, or more like I don't want them to follow basic patterns and make them full of surprises.

As an example, I play quite old MMORPG which has a quest which is just like dungeons, but there was literally no obvious hints about it. Players had to literally go around world (well, not entire world, but "state" or "county" like area) and ask NPCs, explore caves and search for clues, as well as reading books, diaries, journals or last words of dead adventurer somewhere in a cave full of monsters to just figure out what happened and how to access that hidden "dungeon" which still is a rough place. Since it is an old quest, it is spoiled on game related wikia and place is used for killing bosses. But that was only one of many examples. Regardless of that, I found it very amazing how the clues were spread out, and how it was possible to deduce the story of that place and entrances from small clues and NPC dialogues.
  • If we are doing hidden doors and puzzles then I also want some that legitimately end in a dissatisfying manor. 

Like you've been grinding through mobs and mini bosses and traps and puzzles...then just come up to an empty room. Then you have to decide on trying to find a way that isn't actually there or accepting a dissatisfying victory and going home. 

Important to satisfy the pessimistic folks too sometimes
  • Althor said:
    If we are doing hidden doors and puzzles then I also want some that legitimately end in a dissatisfying manor. 

Like you've been grinding through mobs and mini bosses and traps and puzzles...then just come up to an empty room. Then you have to decide on trying to find a way that isn't actually there or accepting a dissatisfying victory and going home. 

This says all I want from a dungeon 

"There is a place, beneath those ancient ruins, in the moor, that calls out to the boldest among them... "We are the Flame!" they cry, "And Darkness fears us!" They descend, spurred on by fantasies of riches and redemption, to lay bare whatever blasphemous abnormality may slumber restlessly in that unholy abyss... But Darkness is insidious. Terror and Madness can find cracks in the sturdiest of armors, the most resolute of minds... And below, in that limitless chasm of Chaos, they will realize the truth of it. "We are not the Flame!" they will cry out, "We are but moths and we are DOOMED!" And their screams will echo amidst the pitiless cyclopean stones... Of the Darkest Dungeon."

• I'm pretty torn on instanced vs non-instanced dungeons. ESO had both iirc and the non-instanced were terrible. I don't know if that was just because it was Zeni or if the concept is bad. The bosses were not rewarding, the place was flooded with mobs and groups all spamming abilities and flying through the place. The only people that slowed down were the ones getting all the achievements. It was just a really dissatisfying experience imo.
  • I think dividing it into 2 types the standard dungeons which we see in most mmo's and ones where you seriously need to get your shit together to complete, planning, supplies everything and no respawn and walk back to the team only a ressurection spell should work inside.
  • nagash said:
    Althor said: I
    If we are doing hidden doors and puzzles then I also want some that legitimately end in a dissatisfying manor. 

"There is a place, beneath those ancient ruins, in the moor, that calls out to the boldest among them... "We are the Flame!" they cry, "And Darkness fears us!" They descend, spurred on by fantasies of riches and redemption, to lay bare whatever blasphemous abnormality may slumber restlessly in that unholy abyss... But Darkness is insidious. Terror and Madness can find cracks in the sturdiest of armors, the most resolute of minds... And below, in that limitless chasm of Chaos, they will realize the truth of it. "We are not the Flame!" they will cry out, "We are but moths and we are DOOMED!" And their screams will echo amidst the pitiless cyclopean stones... Of the Darkest Dungeon."

Excellent. And the groups Bard must song of their vanity and defeat and they try to escape
  • I think dividing it into 2 types the standard dungeons which we see in most mmo's and ones where you seriously need to get your shit together to complete, planning, supplies everything and no respawn and walk back to the team only a ressurection spell should work inside.
    Yes maybe like first is a story dungeon and second run is just a harder version with the better loots. 

Maybe even some parts of the dungeon were there are anti magic runes that cancel magic that needs to be found and destroyed.
  • Althor said:
    nagash said:
    Althor said: I

Excellent. And the groups Bard must song of their vanity and defeat and they try to escape

• I think dungeons should be complex and challenging with puzzles throughout the dungeon and raid mechanics that challenge you.
  • I would love to see a dungeon that is extremely deep and the mobs and bosses get harder until it turns into an endgame raid type deal with insane bosses the deeper it gets. Obviously have rest stop in between to repair gear and prepare for mobs that might do different kinds of attacks such as fire or needing to equip stuff that does more dmg to things that would normally be hard to deal with like ghosts and undead.
  • I would love to see a dungeon that is extremely deep and the mobs and bosses get harder until it turns into an endgame raid type deal with insane bosses the deeper it gets. Obviously have rest stop in between to repair gear and prepare for mobs that might do different kinds of attacks such as fire or needing to equip stuff that does more dmg to things that would normally be hard to deal with like ghosts and undead.
    Love the idea apart from hurting the undead and ghosts. how would you like it if I came to your home and killed you again ^^