Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Is upgrading worth it?

Hello everybody! I backed AoC with the "Braver of Worlds" package last year. I just found out that you can upgrade your package if you already bought one. 

As the game is slowly picking up steam, and we are drawing ever closer to Q4, I am seriously considering upgrading to "Leader of Men". I am generally extremely frugal, but because i really believe in this game more than any other, I was excited to jump on board and chuck savings at it. One of the main reasons i went with "BoW" is for the life-time sub. Assuming I play the game for along time, and it doesn't die, I will more than recover the cash I spent for the lifetime sub. And by recover, I mean spend less than if I didn't buy it, I know I still spent the cash lol. 

But now, more than ever, I am actually falling in love with the concepts and plans of the devs. I am thinking less practically about spending money on it, and more emotionally. SO finally getting to my question, do you guys think that I will regret losing my chance to get the extras in LoM? I really am pumped on most of them, but I am not thinking clearly, 500 bucks is a butt-load of money. What are your guy's thoughts on them?

I bolded the things that I would be really excited about, still not sure if its worth it though.

The first one is honestly the biggest pull for me, as I want my character to be a necromancer.
Leader of Men: $1,000.00
  • Kickstarter Backer Exclusive - Demonic / Angelic Character racial skin 
  • Kickstarter Backer Exclusive - Guildhall appearance
  • Kickstarter Backer Exclusive - Receive Guild themed character cloaks and mount barding - 10 of each!
  • Name an NPC within Ashes of Creation*
  • Receive 5 Additional Closed Beta Keys - Phase 2 (6 Total)
  • Monster Token x 1 - Epic Tier
  • Receive an invitation to the Ashes of Creation Launch party!*
  • Unique "Leader of Men" forum badge
  • Unique in-game character title "Leader of Men"
  • Plus all previous rewards!!
ESTIMATED DELIVERY Dec 2018

Comments

• Options
    For me, the thing that makes the leader of men worth it is the launch party invite. I haven't upgraded yet but planning on doing it in the future. 
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited July 2018
    At glance, here's what i think:
    • If you have Friends who may be interested in playing, but don't want to spend any money on the game due to " reasons™ " ... those Closed Beta Keys will come in handy - as that's how i personally felt about the Higher-Packages ; being generous & buying stuff for your friends
    • The Necromancer should be able to convey the uhh ... " Dark-feel " via playstyle - you shouldn't need Skins to help convey that IMHO . Nor do i think its a good reason to buy it tbh. But hey ... " reasons™ " 
    • Monster Tokens is something that every Player will eventually get ( after defeating a World Boss ) So its nothing "too-grand" about it tbh. 
    • Guild Perks never really mattered to me - its about the Atmosphere of the Guild imo. But its just appearances
    Naming an NPC does sound kinda cool <~< ... but short-lived  :'(

As i said in a previous Thread:
    • At end of the day when all things are said & done ... I think i won't be using any of my Rewards that i got 
    • I want to experience Ashes of Creation like most other Players will in the Future - they aren't going to have that "cool" mount ... or that "sweet" pet ... they're going to start from Zero and work their way to the Top ( most likely ). So they won't have a mount to move faster (?) either. Nor will they have the Unique Skins/ Costumes/ Gear ... to see things from a different perspective
    • The way i see it ... if want to give my absolute 100% legit feedback ... i think it'll be best if i don't use any of the Rewards for awhile - and try my best to experience Ashes of Creation like most/ all Future-Players would - because i think " THIS " will be the best FeedBack

I'm just glad to have the Lifetime Sub ... I'm sure that'll be enough  o:)
  • Options
    Eragale said:
    At glance, here's what i think:
    • If you have Friends who may be interested in playing, but don't want to spend any money on the game due to " reasons™ " ... those Closed Beta Keys will come in handy - as that's how i personally felt about the Higher-Packages ; being generous & buying stuff for your friends
    • The Necromancer should be able to convey the uhh ... " Dark-feel " via playstyle - you shouldn't need Skins to help convey that IMHO . Nor do i think its a good reason to buy it tbh. But hey ... " reasons™ " 
    • Monster Tokens is something that every Player will eventually get ( after defeating a World Boss ) So its nothing "too-grand" about it tbh. 
    • Guild Perks never really mattered to me - its about the Atmosphere of the Guild imo. But its just appearances
    Naming an NPC does sound kinda cool <~< ... but short-lived  :'(

As i said in a previous Thread:
    • At end of the day when all things are said & done ... I think i won't be using any of my Rewards that i got 
    • I want to experience Ashes of Creation like most other Players will in the Future - they aren't going to have that "cool" mount ... or that "sweet" pet ... they're going to start from Zero and work their way to the Top ( most likely ). So they won't have a mount to move faster (?) either. Nor will they have the Unique Skins/ Costumes/ Gear ... to see things from a different perspective
    • The way i see it ... if want to give my absolute 100% legit feedback ... i think it'll be best if i don't use any of the Rewards for awhile - and try my best to experience Ashes of Creation like most/ all Future-Players would - because i think " THIS " will be the best FeedBack

I'm just glad to have the Lifetime Sub ... I'm sure that'll be enough  o:)
    Thank you so much for this in-depth reply, this actually settles the whole issue for me. I needed a good reality check! Honestly when I set out to kickstart, it was that life-time sub which made so much sense to me, so ill stick with that.
    When you think about it, 3 years at $15 a month is already $540. If this game is what it says it will be, than I am looking at a lot longer than 3 years. Plus I never have to worry about canceling or re-subbing. Just stress free play.

I totally agree that in the end, if the game is good, a few extra items arn't going to be make or break. I have also never played an MMO from day one. (Except "Bless Online", which was farther from a "blessing" than anyone could have imagined). So I am actually so pumped to be part of an MMO from day one. 

Thank you once again for saving me the stress. In the end we are here to have fun! 
  • Options
    I always saw the leader of men as guild pack and the braver of worlds (still a stupid name) as a pack for one person. I could be wrong in my opinion, but that's just me.  As for playing a necromancer the may items would have been perfect for you as the angle and deamon packs don't really scream undead 
  • Options
    nagash said:
    I always saw the leader of men as guild pack and the braver of worlds (still a stupid name) as a pack for one person. I could be wrong in my opinion, but that's just me.  As for playing a necromancer the may items would have been perfect for you as the angle and deamon packs don't really scream undead 
    Too bad I missed the may items. Either way though, I have to remember that half the fun is building your normal looking char, into the monster that it will become over time. I played necro in Gw2, I realize now, that the reason I loved it so much was the slow creep into a chaotic powerful monster that it became as my skill with it also increased.

Jumping ahead of myself has always ruined the fun. I have to stick to the wisdom of Eragale on this one.
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    Looks like you were already given great advice and even more to ponder. I actually am in the same boat as far as trying to decide if I want to upgrade or not to Leader of Men. 

@nagash kicking myself for stepping away from the forums for a few months a missing the Undead items.  :'(
  • Options
    @Sintu You and me both man, pretty much the only thing I would have bought.
  • Options

Yes. Leader of Men is the draw. A cut above the milk man - Braver of Worlds. Brutal as it seems.  

• Options

Yes. Leader of Men is the draw. A cut above the milk man - Braver of Worlds. Brutal as it seems.  

Haha I love this, and it sure is tempting, but I think I have decided to stay a milk man for now!
  • Options
    Nothing wrong being a milkman. My father was a milkman. He was a pretty cool guy. Didn't mind letting my mom's husband raise me so I had 2 dads. Pretty neat. 
  • Options
    @karthos. I suckle from thy milkman breasts.
  • Options
    @karthos. I suckle from thy milkman breasts.
    No thanks
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    Love you bro. Hang in there.
  • Options
    This thread took a strange turn
  • Options

As it should. and only I know why.

• Options
    I think I'm glad to be in the dark on this one
  • Options
    And you lost me 
  • Options

Yeeeees. Nagash, we lost you.

• Options
    Hell yes....upgrade! My grocery budget dropped a few hundred bucks a month for a few months (amongst other budgeting), so I could afford the Hero of the People package. Coincidentally I lost 20 pounds in 45 days.....win/win......I get to create a monster and have a smaller version as an exclusive personal pet. I know exactly what it's going to be!!!!! Effing awesome, that's what!!!!! And my characters are going to glow! God knows why, but I'm going to look like a pretty, pretty princess with my golden aura!!!!! Who wants some beta access? I certainly dont need 20 keys.....and I get my own special custom freehold!!!! What!?!?!?!? I'm going to shit myself from all this excitement!!!!!
  • Options
    Holy-Shiv said:
    Hell yes....upgrade! My grocery budget dropped a few hundred bucks a month for a few months (amongst other budgeting), so I could afford the Hero of the People package. Coincidentally I lost 20 pounds in 45 days.....win/win......I get to create a monster and have a smaller version as an exclusive personal pet. I know exactly what it's going to be!!!!! Effing awesome, that's what!!!!! And my characters are going to glow! God knows why, but I'm going to look like a pretty, pretty princess with my golden aura!!!!! Who wants some beta access? I certainly dont need 20 keys.....and I get my own special custom freehold!!!! What!?!?!?!? I'm going to shit myself from all this excitement!!!!!
    LOL, we must be friends in-game so I can see all the stuff that I missed out on! Don't forget me Mr Hero of the people. But seriously, Hero of the People is much better than Leader of Men, and there is no way I can ever afford HoP, so I dont think its worth getting LoM.
  • Options
    @StarFoxWasHere
    This video is more in depth of Monster Tokens, just in case you didn't see it 
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1At83ext_b8
  • Options
    Eragale said:
    @StarFoxWasHere
    This video is more in depth of Monster Tokens, just in case you didn't see it 
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1At83ext_b8
    I can't wait to crush my enemies with this!
  • Options
    Till when can you upgrade your kickstarter package?
  • Options
    Im gonna say it will probably be till the first alpha  at the earliest. It might go beyond that.
  • Options
    Im gonna say it will probably be till the first alpha  at the earliest. It might go beyond that.
    I'd assume you are probably right, but I went ahead and upgraded myself just in case that end of July deadline does include the upgrades.  This is question that really needs to be answered in the live stream, but in case it isn't I would err on the side of caution if someone hasn't upgraded yet.
  • Options
    Yes it is.
  • Options
    @BCGiant

How did you make that sig...
  • Options
    @BCGiant

How did you make that sig...
    Hitfilm Express
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    You inspire us all...

Holy-Shiv said:
    Hell yes....upgrade! My grocery budget dropped a few hundred bucks a month for a few months (amongst other budgeting), so I could afford the Hero of the People package. Coincidentally I lost 20 pounds in 45 days.....win/win.....

In all honesty, I hope you keep up the good budgeting. I could use some help in that department......
    Must upgrade😈