Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Question about player housing

Comments

• Options
    If player housing also involves furniture and item storage, will we lose those props in our house if our city is destroyed?
    Also what measures will be taken to prevent the world from being overly cluttered with freeholds (people blocking pathways, quest npcs, other peoples homes)?

The game is looking fantastic by the way :)
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited July 2018
    If player housing also involves furniture and item storage, will we lose those props in our house if our city is destroyed?

If your freehold is destroyed you will still have the layout saved with all your possessions.  You will have to find a spot to lay it down and I think there will probably be some materials needed for "repair".  You won't lose anything.
  • Options
    As T-elf explained, you won't lose anything but your spot. 

I'd also like to expand on a bit of speculation on my own part as well based on snippets of info and things said on stream.

It may be possible to keep your home through a siege given certain conditions. Namely the attackers don't destroy your house. This is based on the guess that there's a finite period of time that buidings can be knocked down after a siege. And this is assuming there's no "raze city" options.

• Options
    Unless a Dwarf burns down your freehold as Dwarf fire is everlasting and you will never be able to log in again! EVER... BOOOYAAAAA
  • Options
    Unless a Dwarf burns down your freehold as Dwarf fire is everlasting and you will never be able to log in again! EVER... BOOOYAAAAA
    Only balefire can wipe out the soul of a place
  • Options
    Karthos said:
    As T-elf explained, you won't lose anything but your spot. 

I'd also like to expand on a bit of speculation on my own part as well based on snippets of info and things said on stream.

It may be possible to keep your home through a siege given certain conditions. Namely the attackers don't destroy your house. This is based on the guess that there's a finite period of time that buidings can be knocked down after a siege. And this is assuming there's no "raze city" options.

Covered in a Kickstarter Livestream last year - I think with Aggelos:
    There is a window of time during which siegers can try to destroy your freehold - 1 to 2 hours.
    The freehold can be defended by hired NPCs if you're offline during the attack.

https://youtu.be/LUJugtqTBxw?t=29m36s

• Options
    Yep, there is a 2 hour window after losing a siege.  The area will include the whole zone of influence and that's a lot of territory to cover in 2 hours.  
  • Options
    Yep, and it also points towards siege loss deleveling mechanics. If the city were razed from say 5 to 0 by a single siege action, they would not need to worry about mechanics for freehold looting after a siege. People would automatically have their stuff packed up and the template sent to their account for future placement if it was to go below 3 if previous quotes are to be believed. Losing a siege may free up other nodes to level in the immediate area, but will not wipe out months and possibly years of development of a metropolis by simply losing a 2 hour siege event. Will be interesting to see how their stated "algorithm" determines what happens. From todays livestream and Jeffrey's reaction to node/zoi statements it seems they have a concrete plan on how they envision things happening in certain situations.
  • Options
    A successful siege only de-levels the node to one Stage lower.
  • Options
    @Dygz

Are freeholds going to have upgrades that are dependent on node level? and will we drop those upgrades from our freehold if the node "de-levels"?
  • Options
    Possibly.
    I could see the number of items/structures you can place on a freehold being limited by the Stage of the Node.
    And, it seems likely that the level of tavern, in terms of tasks and quests, would also be limited by the Stage of the Node.

But, I'm not aware of the devs sharing details like that.
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    @Dygz

Are freeholds going to have upgrades that are dependent on node level? and will we drop those upgrades from our freehold if the node "de-levels"?
    Haven't thought about that.  In my mind I was thinking you could level your Freehold independently from node level; you just needed the blueprints to upgrade; and when the node deleveled it wouldn't have an effect on the level of your Freehold. <pure speculation on my part.

Not sure what happens if the node goes below level 3.  Might be a good question for the next Live Stream if I can remember to ask it.
  • Options
    T-Elf said:
    @Dygz

Haven't thought about that.  In my mind I was thinking you could level your Freehold independently from node level; you just needed the blueprints to upgrade; and when the node deleveled it wouldn't have an effect on the level of your Freehold. <pure speculation on my part.

Not sure what happens if the node goes below level 3.  Might be a good question for the next Live Stream if I can remember to ask it.
    It is packed up and you can place it somewhere else again. Was asked and answered last year. <Speculation> Freehold building levels will be independent of node levels. You could very well have a level 3 inn in a level 5 node. Things start to go wrong, pack it up, either voluntarily or as result of a siege, and move it to a new level 3 node. You won't lose your building level or the resources spent to get it to that level. You are going to have a set amount of "plots" in a grid system where you can place buildings. This is where the "not minecraft, like tetris" quote comes in. If you are a KS backer, look at the summer freehold skins, shows a building going from level 1 to 3 and getting bigger each time. So at level 1 it would take 1 plot, level 2 it would take 2 side by side plots and level 3 it would take 4, 3 in a line with one connected to the middle plot making a short T. Depending on how you mix and match your desired buildings and placement will determine how much bang you get for your effort. Piss poor planning and fitting puzzle pieces will make for wasted plots.<speculation ended>
  • Options
    Ok this sounds like what I was thinking.  Thanks, @UnknownSystemError
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    I think the question, though, is whether we can have a "Level 6" tavern in a Stage 3 node.
    As far as I know, we have no details on that.
    It may be that a "Level 6" tavern is not possible in a Stage 3 node.
    I don't think we've been told what criteria need to be met in a node for taverns to advance to higher levels.

We also don't know that about other forms of blueprints.
    The blueprints won't be lost, but that doesn't inherently mean we can automatically build a "high level" blueprint in a Stage 3 node.
  • Options
    Dygz said:
    I think the question, though, is whether we can have a "Level 6" tavern in a Stage 3 node.
    As far as I know, we have no details on that.
    It may be that a "Level 6" tavern is not possible in a Stage 3 node.
    I don't think we've been told what criteria need to be met in a node for taverns to advance to higher levels.

We also don't know that about other forms of blueprints.
    The blueprints won't be lost, but that doesn't inherently mean we can automatically build a "high level" blueprint in a Stage 3 node.
    I remember them stating that buildings would have a max level of 3. Could be wrong. The building levels do not "match" node levels.
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    I didn't suggest that they have to match.
    We can't even own property until Stage 3, so a Level 3 building would automatically be possible at Stage 3... making matching moot.

It may be that we can have a max level tavern at Stage 3.
    Seems likely the node will have to be higher than Stage 3 for a max level tavern, but...
    We need dev confirmation on that, as far as I know.

• Options
    I am sorry if I wasn't clear. I sometimes type these between teaching classes so they are a bit short. Your initial buildings once built will be level 1. Then you will need to acquire blueprints through various means to upgrade them. Get the blueprint, either gather the materials needed or have them on hand already, craft the building upgrade (may be time sink) and poof...level 2. If the higher level building is going to "pop" to a bigger size, you may have to play a bit of tetris to get it to fit into your freehold plot grid. Max level of freehold buildings is 3 if I remember correctly. So say you have the setup you want. You are placed in a level 5 node and are fairly high "level" in the artisan society so you have been able to upgrade all your buildings to level 3. The node undergoes a series of sieges over a couple months. The node is delevel all the way to 2. Your freehold if not looted during that time is packed up and the template is given to you. You move to a new home, find a new place, put down your freehold in a new level 3 node. Your buildings are all level 3 (max freehold level) even though the node is only level 3 out of 6. And yes, we need more dev clarification.
  • Options
    edited July 2018

The looting of your freehold during a siege.  Is that game generated loot, or actual items/resources taken from your freehold?
  • Options
    They haven't clarified 100% yet, but it will most likely be stuff you have stored there. WIll most likely be the same stuff that can drop during pvp. What they haven't said it percentages. All or partial loss sort of thing. Also whether it would be under the caravan system loot certificate system. Would be hilarious if people showed up to pillage your freehold and are salivating over the 50,000 wood you have store there, and they can only carry like 800 of it away due to weight limitations.
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    They haven't clarified 100% yet, but it will most likely be stuff you have stored there. WIll most likely be the same stuff that can drop during pvp. What they haven't said it percentages. All or partial loss sort of thing. Also whether it would be under the caravan system loot certificate system. Would be hilarious if people showed up to pillage your freehold and are salivating over the 50,000 wood you have store there, and they can only carry like 800 of it away due to weight limitations.
    That would be super funny, unless they could have a caravan at the ready.  So what's to keep someone from keeping their good stuff in an instanced apartment in a npc city, and just use the freehold to farm, or sales.
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    Warkov said:

That would be super funny, unless they could have a caravan at the ready.  So what's to keep someone from keeping their good stuff in an instanced apartment in a npc city, and just use the freehold to farm, or sales.
    Unknown. Will have to wait and see. And there are no npc cities. Everything beyond the initial mobs inhabiting the pvp castles, and the starting areas comes from player node development.
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    I am sorry if I wasn't clear. I sometimes type these between teaching classes so they are a bit short. Your initial buildings once built will be level 1. Then you will need to acquire blueprints through various means to upgrade them. Get the blueprint, either gather the materials needed or have them on hand already, craft the building upgrade (may be time sink) and poof...level 2. If the higher level building is going to "pop" to a bigger size, you may have to play a bit of tetris to get it to fit into your freehold plot grid. Max level of freehold buildings is 3 if I remember correctly. So say you have the setup you want. You are placed in a level 5 node and are fairly high "level" in the artisan society so you have been able to upgrade all your buildings to level 3. The node undergoes a series of sieges over a couple months. The node is delevel all the way to 2. Your freehold if not looted during that time is packed up and the template is given to you. You move to a new home, find a new place, put down your freehold in a new level 3 node. Your buildings are all level 3 (max freehold level) even though the node is only level 3 out of 6. And yes, we need more dev clarification.
    But, we don't know if there are other restrictions to building upgrades besides gathering materials. There may be other criteria to reach max building level - like reaching the City or Metropolis Stage or even having specific node buildings or services built first.

We know that it can't be a "match" system because we can't own buildings before Stage 3, so we automatically start with Stage 3/Building Level 1.
    I don't think we've been told that we can have Stage 3/Building Level 3. Especially if Building Level 3 is max.

I have a feeling that a Tavern has to be able to upgrade higher than "Building Level 3".
    And I'm unconvinced that a max level Tavern will be handing out Level 50 tasks and quests in a Stage 3 node.
    Maybe, but it's not confirmed as far as I know.
  • Options
    So it's Unknown  ;)
  • Options
    It's all USE!!
  • Options
    I know nothing you know nothing we all know nothing