Verra's Corruption - The reason Verra fell?

Not sure if others have posted this thought yet, will delete if duplicated (in several hours)...

We know there was some cataclysmic event that ended civilization on Verra the 1st(?) time around. Is there a chance the population fled because of the corruption system, or in other words, people killing people? My thought is that the Gods became so angered, we were sent to distant lands for morality schooling. 

I believe it is confirmed that you can only repent for your corruption 1 of 2 ways. 1. You die. 2. You absolve yourself of sin in some sort of religious way in a church/church quests by appeasing the gods. The gods seem pretty tied to the idea of corruption, and could easily have been the reason Verra fell to begin with. 

If correct, what do you guys think the odds are that Verra's 'corruption level' will impact the world in a physical manner? By that I mean once we hit a worldwide corruption of X, we have some plague level event, natural disaster, or instertnamehere monster(s) is unleashed unto the world. I think it would certainly add a fun dynamic to PvP, and be something interesting to pay attention to.

Comments

  • VoidShadowVoidShadow Member ✭✭✭
    I think youre tying a game mechanic to the lore. Not that its impossible but i kinda dont see it. There was a similar thread a while back and the basic ideas were a Rogue god, or some alien force invasion (Like the orcs in WoW).
    Where there is light, there is shadow. I am the shadow without the light. The shadow of nothingness. The VoidShadow
  • nagashnagash Member alpha-0-rank
    Well I'm not not saying it was cooking ^^

    The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead do not fight one another. The dead have no desires, no petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • sunfrogsunfrog Member alpha-0-rank
    Verra only pretended to fall so she could draw the penalty and get a free kick. We aren't really returning to the planet after 1000 years. We come and go for the shopping all the time.
    My signature is the wind.
  • UnknownSystemErrorUnknownSystemError Member alpha-0-rank
    It is more in the neighborhood of 10k years @sunfrog. Gotta give them Tulnar some time to get frisky and morph.
  • nagashnagash Member alpha-0-rank
    It is more in the neighborhood of 10k years @sunfrog. Gotta give them Tulnar some time to get frisky and morph.
    see this is why undead are better, filthy savages 

    The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead do not fight one another. The dead have no desires, no petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Perseus01Perseus01 Member ✭✭
    Depends on how believable the "gods" will be or if any at all, can the gods physically impact the world we live in or do we know our knowledge from scribes and certain questionable naturalistic events. Where did these portals come from? Were they created by the gods to once again extend our existence? Did an alien race create them? If so, why are they still alien to us? Have our forefathers somehow discovered another dimension and we are just re-entering space-time?
  • c0ug4rc0ug4r Member ✭✭
    edited August 10
    Is there a chance the population fled because of the corruption system, or in other words, people killing people?

    They fled from what the corruption did with Verra's creatures. There might have been some lesser souls among the civilized races (pk grievers >:) ) which were affected by the corruption, but so far it looks more like corrupted creatures were the main cause driving the people away from Verra.



    Thus PvP corruption would only be an element of the primal corruption that was brought to Verra (by the Harbingers that again were sent by one or more Gods?) and not vice versa. It's not us who bring back the corruption to Verra. It's Verra that after 10000 years has still corruption left in it. At least that's what I think.

  • UnknownSystemErrorUnknownSystemError Member alpha-0-rank
    Think of it like fallout. Over the last 10k years since the fall the taint of corruption has slowly lowered to the point the "good" gods have decided to try and take Verra back from the "bad" gods. We know there are 6 player gods and 10 gods total, so that gives us 4 baddies. The Tulnar have managed to avoid the effects of corruption by living underground, but there are still plants and creatures that remained on the surface that have been twisted over time by corruptions influence. The avain npc race we have seen modeled so far is a good example. As people commit "bad" actions, they open themselves up to corruptions taint. Murderhoboing and rubbing that monster coin over and over are good examples, after awhile you are swept up by corruption and need your soul cleansed through a good ole death to get back to the right.
  • MaevynnMaevynn Member alpha-0-rank
    edited August 10
    I think corruption may just be what it says on the tin: A corrupting force.

    From things we've seen in past streams it looks like even things like trees can be corrupted.  We also have a few quotes on this:

    "The world in Ashes has been void of civilization for centuries.  Without revealing too much of the lore, it is important to know that long ago, there was a great calamity.  This resulted in a mass exodus of the planet, granted by divine intervention.  A corruption befell the land, twisting and perverting every facet of nature, from the troll-like creature you see below to all the way up to giant behemoths, nothing escaped its touch.  More of our lore and story will be revealed carefully in the future, but for now, know that this corruption is always present."
    ( Source )

    "This race was was once a very beautiful race that existed in the mountains. It flew—you know it had capabilities that were a present of a bird race, like being able to fly and whatnot—and as time progressed the corruption within the world kind of changed this race into what they are today when you encounter them now they are something much more corrupt.  Perverted. Right, their kind of presence in the world has been flipped inside out, and you'll see this happen to a lot of our other races in kind-of discovering the histories and how this change has happened are a big part of the game."
    ( Source )

    "There was a split in the Pantheon of gods early in the creation of the universe. The gods that split do influence the corrupt side of the beings that exist in the universe. It is possible through questing/player decisions to worship those gods instead."
    ( Source )

    "A common theme in ashes of creation is you're going to see creatures that were once these beautiful magnificent things kind of corrupt by this malevolent presence. That dark force."
    ( Source )

    "Corruption tarnishes the character’s spiritual essence. Their ability to utilize the Verra’s magic found within them is diminished."
    ( Source )

    "A glimpse of the powers you will harness in Ashes.  Wonders of the elements, radiance of light and the darkness of corruption."
    ( Source )
    ( Attached Image )

    "We’re going more down the route of corruption/purity as opposed to darkness/light or good/evil."
    ( Source )

    Based on how all-encompassing it is (and that it's mentioned that the "gods that split [off]" influence corruption in some way) I'm willing to bet that the reason that player corruption is tied to it is because that at least one of these gods embody aspects of murder/violence/cruelty—but that it also isn't as simple in-lore as the player corruption makes it.  I don't think just "people killing people" would necessarily be enough to trigger it.  Otherwise every war/conflict in history would have ended up with scores of corruption, and we know that the world once existed without it: "A corruption befell the land."  Something happened, and I doubt that the races would have been able to reach the point of having these huge empires without some wars and conflicts.  We also know there will be things like sieges and wars that will have nothing to do with corruption at all, so from that respect as well I don't think killing = corruption from a lore standpoint.  Otherwise there would be this fear surrounding the idea of conflict from NPCs, and we know they'll fight enemy players too.

    It seems like more of an external force, and as @VoidShadow had said, I don't think player corruption is necessarily how it works in-lore (Though it very well could!  Who knows?).  And, as @UnknownSystemError had said, it could be more along the lines of giving in to some particular force.  However, a thought I've had:

    We also know with the latest newsletter that corruption is a force we'll be able to wield against enemies—so from that respect I doubt it's something as simple as a Universal Sin Meter or necessarily a force we're giving in to in order to become corrupt since we can use it for (seemingly) regular attacks.
  • xLangatanGxxLangatanGx Member ✭✭
    I get all your points. My original thinking was that 'humanity' was the reason Verra fell; the reason it was corrupted. The only way to reverse the corruption was for our exodus. But doesn't seem like the idea is popular among the village people! I digress.
  • lexmaxlexmax Moderator mod
    Corruption seems to be an ever present environmental hazard that is ready to seep into those who's souls are conducive to it. The mechanic of removing corruption via death and via religious rituals could be possible due to the relatively low levels of corruption still remaining on Verra compared to the time of the "fall".

    One quote I found interesting is this:

    "Corruption tarnishes the character’s spiritual essence. Their ability to utilize the Verra’s magic found within them is diminished" 

    [Speculation] This to me indicates that the opposite of corruption is magic. This could be some kind of spiritual "yin and yang" between magic and corruption, in that on Verra we may have an amount of both essences in each of us.

    And maybe we need a little bit of both to survive!

  • MaevynnMaevynn Member alpha-0-rank
    lexmax said:
    Corruption seems to be an ever present environmental hazard that is ready to seep into those who's souls are conducive to it. The mechanic of removing corruption via death and via religious rituals could be possible due to the relatively low levels of corruption still remaining on Verra compared to the time of the "fall".

    One quote I found interesting is this:

    "Corruption tarnishes the character’s spiritual essence. Their ability to utilize the Verra’s magic found within them is diminished" 

    [Speculation] This to me indicates that the opposite of corruption is magic. This could be some kind of spiritual "yin and yang" between magic and corruption, in that on Verra we may have an amount of both essences in each of us.

    And maybe we need a little bit of both to survive!
    If you look at my list of quotes above it does actually mention that some force of "Purity" is likely the opposite of corruption (or at least purity vs. corruption is more of they want to go for than good vs. evil and dark vs. light)—and based on the latest newsletter we can also cast using corruption "A glimpse of the powers you will harness in Ashes.  Wonders of the elements, radiance of light and the darkness of corruption.".  So I wonder if it's more that it's a foreign/alien energy that cancels out the planet's energy, a weird sort of anti-energy.

    It would also entirely explain why having more corruption would prevent us from being as effective—though it doesn't explain the powers-that-utilize-corruption that was mentioned in the latest newsletter getting weaker in PvP, as I'd assume they would.  But that might just be a gameplay element.

    I do think you're maybe onto something with the "needing a balance of both", but that begs the question: If needing both to survive is true—what happens to a being without any corruption at all?  What sort of negative effects would one experience from being Entirely Purified.
  • lexmaxlexmax Moderator mod
    edited August 10
    Maevynn said:
    lexmax said:
    Corruption seems to be an ever present environmental hazard that is ready to seep into those who's souls are conducive to it. The mechanic of removing corruption via death and via religious rituals could be possible due to the relatively low levels of corruption still remaining on Verra compared to the time of the "fall".

    One quote I found interesting is this:

    "Corruption tarnishes the character’s spiritual essence. Their ability to utilize the Verra’s magic found within them is diminished" 

    [Speculation] This to me indicates that the opposite of corruption is magic. This could be some kind of spiritual "yin and yang" between magic and corruption, in that on Verra we may have an amount of both essences in each of us.

    And maybe we need a little bit of both to survive!
    If you look at my list of quotes above it does actually mention that some force of "Purity" is likely the opposite of corruption (or at least purity vs. corruption is more of they want to go for than good vs. evil and dark vs. light)—and based on the latest newsletter we can also cast using corruption "A glimpse of the powers you will harness in Ashes.  Wonders of the elements, radiance of light and the darkness of corruption.".  So I wonder if it's more that it's a foreign/alien energy that cancels out the planet's energy, a weird sort of anti-energy.

    It would also entirely explain why having more corruption would prevent us from being as effective—though it doesn't explain the powers-that-utilize-corruption that was mentioned in the latest newsletter getting weaker in PvP, as I'd assume they would.  But that might just be a gameplay element.

    I do think you're maybe onto something with the "needing a balance of both", but that begs the question: If needing both to survive is true—what happens to a being without any corruption at all?  What sort of negative effects would one experience from being Entirely Purified.
    The answer to that might come from Sanctus. We fled to Sanctus to escape the corruption. The absence of corruption may come at the price of no magic.

    This might be similar in concept to traditional "good and evil", although perhaps more sophisticated within the world of Ashes.


  • nagashnagash Member alpha-0-rank
    The question is who will you join in the end times 

    The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead do not fight one another. The dead have no desires, no petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Perseus01Perseus01 Member ✭✭
    nagash said:
    The question is who will you join in the end times 
    Steven and Mr. Bard :p
Sign In or Register to comment.