Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Will Ashes of Creation have its own novel?

I am not sure whether there already is a novel/novella in the works for Ashes of Creation and haven't found anything online about it. Does anyone know if it's at all upcoming? Thanks

Comments

• Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited July 2018
    The short answer is no not yet. 

As ashes is not yet out, we have no solid lore as off now. Once the game is out and we have all the lore, I would love to see some books from the world of Verra. I know steven (Blessed be his name) wants ashes to have its own pen and paper RP game, so I would guess books would come soon after that. My dream would be to ask some of the black library writers to write the books as they are amazing at world building. 

• Options
    I think Steven has mentioned the possibility of it happening in the past too, hasn't he @nagash ?  I seem to recall us talking about the possibility before.

Because it was my hope that a few writers from the Forgotten Realms novels would contribute as well.
    Writers like R.A. Salvatore, Troy Denning, Elaine Cunningham, and Douglas Niles.

I feel like the potential is there for a successful line of shared world novels.
    Of course, EverQuest had the potential as well.... it had a table top RPG and a few novels, but never really took off anywhere. 
  • Options
    I can think of so many authours that would fit ashes so well. I just hope Steven  (Blessed be his name)  make the lore incredible. From a fellow RPer, I need good lore for a MMOs as lore in most MMOs is just lacking so please intrepid make the lore good!
  • Options
    It's been a long time since I got into the lore of a game... Most MMOs I've played the lore is either really badly translated or just uninteresting and not enjoyable to read. I'm hoping AoC will be at a different level :)
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    I would kind of like any novels to be from the world everyone went to and keep Verra's lore buried and mysterious for us players.

There would still be plenty of room to explore a setting where people came to a new world that didn't have a lot of magic and splitting of the races, the establishment of civilization and exploration, etc.

I just don't want to know too much about Verra until we have really started exploring it ourselves and the game has been out for at least a year or two before anything involving Verra's past gets published on a larger scale.
  • Options
    You bring up a good point @GrimHarlequin
    There are many potential settings or eras for Ashes novels to take place.   

• Pre-mass exodus Verra stories. (Way in the past)
    • Stories on the exiled world, leading up to the return to Verra.
    • Post-game launch Verra stories.  

Opens up a lot of possibilities
  • Options
    Officially licensed fiction in any form would be welcome.
  • Options
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away...
  • Options
    sunfrog said:
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away...
    In the grim darkness of the far future! 
  • Options
    I would kind of like any novels to be from the world everyone went to and keep Verra's lore buried and mysterious for us players.

There would still be plenty of room to explore a setting where people came to a new world that didn't have a lot of magic and splitting of the races, the establishment of civilization and exploration, etc.

I just don't want to know too much about Verra until we have really started exploring it ourselves and the game has been out for at least a year or two before anything involving Verra's past gets published on a larger scale.
    I would like for the books to give out secrets in game, or at least give clues to hidden in-game material that may or may not have already been unlocked/discovered.
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    I'd love it. I love reading the fantasy genre and am currently in the process of writing my own book. (No i am not advertising my book and definitely will not mention this again in december when i plan to have it finished for some free advertisement). 

For real though any readers here that would like to my prologue and chapter one and tell me what they think? It's actually much harder than i imagined and i'd love some feedback
  • Options

I would like for the books to give out secrets in game, or at least give clues to hidden in-game material that may or may not have already been unlocked/discovered.

That's a really interesting idea as it would give players, who don't read much, a reason to read! ( including myself tbh). 
  • Options
    I would love to see books based on before the fall of Verra and the run up to the exodus
  • Options
    Azrael007 said:

That's a really interesting idea as it would give players, who don't read much, a reason to read! ( including myself tbh). 
    Sea of Thieves actually did this with a book, put in little subtle hints and clues about things to find in the game.  And I think not just for what was currently in the game, but for things that were on the development roadmap too.  So it kind of keeps the book relevant as the game progresses in the future (outside of the book's primary entertainment aspect.)
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    I think it will wind up in either an official Novel, or some fan fiction based ones.

Either way, it should be a Verra good read!
  • Options
    I thought about this some and I think there will be a graphic novel, and t-shirts, and Funko Pops, and all manner of merch. If it isn't going to be pay to win they will need additional income streams and merch fits right in. 
  • Options
    dmgavin said:

You may have been here for awhile @dmgavin but now you're really one of us.  ;)
  • Options
    dmgavin said:

haha yes that's true. "one of us one of us"
  • Options
    nagash said:
    dmgavin said:

haha yes that's true. "one of us one of us"