Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

How do walls work?

I was listening to the Twitch livecast again yesterday and the guys were talking about nodes gobbling each other up like soap bubbles. If a node 4's sphere of influence overlaps a node 2 the node 2 will be gobbled up. That's cool. I like that, but then I started thinking about it.

If the node 4 is military and node 2 is religious will all the churches turn into armories? Will the buildings change? What role does the city wall play in the whole thing? Is there a way to strengthen the wall to prolong the gobbling? Like, if you fortify the wall maybe you won't get gobbled up so easily, or at all?

Comments

• Also, if a town does get gobbled up can it just move 10 feet to the left? Like everyone in town just says "We're moving 10 feet over. Go to the new camp," and then everyone just moves to the new camp 10 feet over.
  • I think its more like the cultural borders in civilization where if one nation has a higher influence then the can take over other cities tiles. As for wall, I would say a city or a node would have the wall and not the whole border as that makes more strategic sense
  • Also, will it make a bloop sound when it happens?
  • You will see a huge amount of smoke and boom everything is different.
  • The node continues to be a node inside that ZOI.

Take for instance Chicago Illinois.   It is the major Metropolis of the Area.  There are several nearby major cities (Naperville, Aurora) that are cities in their own right, however, they are "enslaved" to the Chicago Metropolis.

Naperville continues to exist as a Node inside its ZOI, it just so happens that its ZOI was enslaved by Chicago.

Should Chicago ever fall and degrade to a level lower than a city, Naperville would then regain control of its own destiny.  It might stay stagnant if there is no room for growth.  It might be in a position to fill in the vacuum and enslave Chicago.  It might now free of enslavement pop over in a different direction.

So if a Level 5 Economic enslaves a Level 4 Religious Node, the the Level 4 Node remains true to itself but it becomes a child.   After it has reached maxed xp/level since it can't pop to Level 5 since its enslaved to a 5, it begins feeding XP to the Level 5.  If the level 5 were to go to Level 6, then the Level 4 could grow again to Level 5.   

Clear as mud?
  • Something kind of like this mock up.  All non green Nodes are part of the ZOI of the central highest node.  There are other configurations possible, but just did this to show the basic's of nodes.   

• That simple, you cant cross a wall exept if there is a door, but dont ask what a door is it's hard af to explain :'(
  • What? I don't get it. If the Economic node eats the Religous node the Religous node loses it's zoi doesn't it? All your efforts go to making the Economic node grow and the Religous node is stuck with no way to grow.
  • "And we will get the Tulnar to pay for it!"
  • I was under the impression all nodes could make it to level 3, they just couldn't hit 4 or higher if there was one already influencing a collective ZOI.

I doubt the node type would change, specifically instantly, that wouldn't help encourage citizens of that node to take out the bigger one. It would make them find another node of the same type.

Also, I was under the impression all node types were predetermined and unchangeable. Built noticeably at level 0 or 1 so you would know if you wanted to invest or not.
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited July 2018
    @Azathoth Nope, was clarified last livestream, node level locking can occur at level 0 if a surrounding node has advanced enough that its zoi encompasses it. All node types are predetermined. At level one camp you can determine the type based off of the npcs populating the camp. Soldiers-military Scholars-scientific Merchants-economic Priests-religious
  • I think many people will have different ideas of what the node system is right up until the day we see it in action.

The description above about Chicago seemed to almost fit my understnding of the system, but not quite.

I look at each node as if it were a zone in a game like Archeage - slightly smaller, but that is the general idea.

Each node has a pre-determined location within it's area that forms the hub of the node. This is the camp/village/town/city/metropolis, as node level dictates.

As this node levels up, it takes over nodes (zone sized areas, not just the hub) adjoining it. The ZoI doesn't creep incrementally, but rather jumps a whole zone over with each level up of the node.

These additional nodes then effectively become secondary and tertiary hubs within the "nation" of the largest node. Each hub still retains it's identity and is still it's own unique camp/village/town/city, and is still the hub of it's own node (zone), but it is now a part of a larger whole.

This is why I can see many players not necessarily wanting to level their own node to metropolis. I can see players wanting to belong to a military node, but want the perks of a scientific or economic metropolis over the perk of a military one. These players would then want to be in a military town or city, that is a part of the nation of a scientific or economic metropolis.
  • That makes more sense to me.

• ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited July 2018
    "And we will get the Tulnar to pay for it!"
    "I think it's their fault too, for being on our land before we got here."-Mel Gibson as Maverick

haha kidding aside I think @Noaani said it best I understand the system as being closest to that. I also concur that everyone will have their own ideas about what it is until we see something fully implemented into the game. Here's hoping that "Nodes 3" will be coming really soon haha.