Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Holidays in AoC

Hey everyone, 

My first post and I thought it would be about something social. My favorite social times in MMO's (Mostly WoW) is during their version of real world holidays. People get goofy, silly and tend to congregate more and in different places. 

During these times I've met some really great people who I otherwise probably wouldn't of met outside my 'everyday' routine in the game. 

Do you think AoC will have there own version of holidays? 

Do you like the idea of holidays in your games? 

What's you're favorite memory from a holiday? 

Mine would have to be the time five guildies and myself( WoW) decided we'd go trick or treating to every inn together to get the achievement. We decided we'd walk the whole thing or atleast our mounts would. We ended gathering 20 other people who joined us on vent and had a great time. 

Comments

• This has been discussed many times in the threads, so if you wanted a true feel for all previous thoughts you can research there. Overall the consensus is pretty even on rather or not rl holiday's should play into it, but everyone generally agrees holidays should exist.

I am of the thought pattern that wishes all holidays are Verra only holidays and rl holidays should stay in rl. If IS can't come up with original holidays they should exclude them all together, imo.
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited July 2018
    I don't mind holidays, but I'd rather AoC have its own instead of just shoehorning in real world ones.

Sure you can have holidays that would be applicable to the same time frames like  first-thaw/mid-summer/final-harvest/mid-winter  but don't make fantasy christmas and don't copy modern halloween for instance.

Although its going to get weird if you have the holidays on set times throughout the year, but this years summer holiday falls on a day when the server season is fall since the game itself is going to have seasons changing on a much faster scale.  You can even have ones that reflect in game events like First Landing when the portals opened and people started returning to Verra.

• Azathoth said:
    This has been discussed many times in the threads, so if you wanted a true feel for all previous thoughts you can research there. Overall the consensus is pretty even on rather or not rl holiday's should play into it, but everyone generally agrees holidays should exist.

Dang, 

I searched for old threads but I couldn't find any in the search bar. Here I thought I was been somewhat original. 

Sure you can have holidays that would be applicable to the same time frames like  first-thaw/mid-summer/final-harvest/mid-winter  but don't make fantasy christmas and don't copy modern halloween for instance.

Although its going to get weird if you have the holidays on set times throughout the year, but this years summer holiday falls on a day when the server season is fall since the game itself is going to have seasons changing on a much faster scale.  You can even have ones that reflect in game events like First Landing when the portals opened and people started returning to Verra.

I forgot about the seasons and how fast they change. That would make it rather weird to have a holiday during one 'summer' and not the others. 

Maybe dates and seasons don't work exactly like ours. Good points and I agree with not a copy paste of our own. 
  • @canuckadin
    No worries, the search bar hasn't always been reliable. That's why I gave my opinion anyways :wink:

Welcome to the forums, you should have fun!
    edited July 2018
    EQ2 had the best system for this included in the games lore. Thing is, it was rejected in the games lore as well, so it wasn't used for their events and *very* few people even know it exists.

The basics of the calendar were that a week has 10 days, a month has 3 weeks, a season has 4 months, and a year has 3 seasons (the seasons are Decay, Growth and Harvest in the source material).

This puts a Norrathian year (under this system) at 360 days.

In this system, the developers could put the length of a day at 6 hours, meaning that in one of our years, we go through 4 years in game (with a few in game days up their sleeve to allow for downtime and such).

On top of all of this though, this specific Norrathian calendar has something called Quatrains. If a day is a planet turning around it's axis once, and a year is a planet revolving around it's sun once, a Quatrain is like the sun itself - and it's children planets - revolving around a larger celestial body once.

Quatrains can be looked at as year long seasons. There is a cold season followed by a wet season, followed by a hot season, followed by a earthquaky, volcanoy season (odd, I know).

Now, since these Quatrains last a full in game year each, and since an in game year lasts 3 months (if an in game day lasts ~6 hours), that means the game can actually have these Quatrains correspond to our seasons perfectly.

You could look at this almost like the Ashes class system - each season has a base season, but then is augmented by the Quatrain that it is in as well.

This results in the following seasonal flow...

Decay/winter
    Growth/winter
    Harvest/winter
    Decay/spring
    Growth/spring
    Harvest/spring
    Decay/summer
    Growth/summer
    Harvest/summer
    Decay/autumn
    Growth/autumn
    Harvest/autumn

The developers of a world using this system would be able to have the winter Quatrain (Triumvirate in the source material) correspond perfectly to our winter, the wet Quatrain would correspond to spring etc.

This would then give developers the mechanic of making in game festivals celebrated during the appropriate Quatrain. Decay/winter could well fall during December, and seems to me to be an appropriate season for a Christmas type festival to be held in game.

While the game would have three other winters during our year, the next Decay/winter wouldn't fall until the following December, meaning that in game festival, held every Decay/winter, gets held once a year for us - every December.

This also puts October in Growth/Autumn, Growth/summer in July and Growth/Spring in April - all of which seem appropriate for seasonal based events, as far as I am concerned.

I'll actually be disappointed in Intrepid if they add seasonal festivals (or even just seasonal cosmetics) without lining up the seasons to match in some manner.

For those that care, the source material for this is an in-game book in EverQuest 2. The book is called "
    The Norrathian Code of Trade Standards".

edited July 2018
    Yes, I like having the holidays celebrated in game with an in-game twist.  Since many devs have an SOE/DBG background they know all about this.  Having played many games EQ2 does the best job.  I'd love to see Ashes top that.
  • So seasons and seasonal holidays lining up in the game to rl would be fine with me, as long as the holidays in game weren't basic, cheap, clones of rl holidays.
  • keep real life away from my fantasy thank you very much ^^