Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Secondary Weapons (not weapon swapping)

Ok for my first topic I'd like to see what you think of the concept of secondary weapons.
I'd like to apologize in advance, I tend to write a fair bit. I'll try to make it enjoyable.

Before I paint the picture to you I want to say that I do not like weapon swapping at all. That is because the mmorpgs I have played have made characters pop up weapons out of nowhere in a split of a second and that is ridiculous.
In addition weapon swapping promotes a mentality of slotting BiS abilities and totally destroys the concept of class/play style.

To those familiar with           Line][Age         you can remember gladiators in the early chronicles. Gladiators were dualsword warriors. But with the click of an ingame macro you could make your swords disappear and equip from your inventory a big axe and cast stun all in a split of a second and with the next macro you could equip dualswords and cast a double slash.

In        ESO         you would have 1 ability bar with 5 spaces and an ultimate for 1 weapon and by swapping in less than a second you would have a second ability and with 5 spaces and an uiltimate.
Since people could freely use abilities from 2 weapons and their class specific abilities, this resulted in the 3 following meta + healers.

Brawlers:
Sword/Shield for damage,stun,debuffs and blocking
Two Handed weapon for self buffs, healing and execution(increased dmg ability to targets under certain HP)

Roques1:
Dual Wield for damage, Dot and AoE
Bow for selfbuffs and debuffs and Dot
Roques2:
Two handed for execution and Classes abilities
Bow  for selfbuffs debuffs and DoT

Nukers:
Magic staff for staff abilities and class abilities
Healing staff for self buffs, barriers, heal.

Then in games like           Tera Online, FFXIV and Black Desert          I was disappointed to see that I couldn't even equip a weapon except for the very specific weapon that my class was destined for.

Here is something from my point of view as a warrior.

My character has 2 blades on my hip hangers and one long sword on his back.

As I am using my abilities that are basically slashes and punctures and blade dancing I have activated a combo, perhaps a kick and my opponent is on the ground on his back. My character sheathes the blades as he walks slowly to my fallen opponent, draws the long sword and performs the last blow of the combo.

Another scenario has a ranger in it.

My ranger is firing arrows at an enemy. The enemy catches up and at close distance the ranger pulls a knife and stabs the enemy on the foot, rooting him and jumps backwards drawing an arrow again
As the enemy screams and removes the knife the ranger walks up to the rooted enemy. If it wasn't for the hood I am sure that we still would not see any remorse on the rangers face as the stands ready to release the arrow to the opponents face.

Something with a mage...

Imagine a scene in which your party is surrounded by demons all around and beneath.
As your mage is firing spells with the staff, the realization that you will be overwhelmed within seconds is sinking in.
There is an old tome chains to the hip of your mage. He plunges the staff to the ground creating a barrier that will not last for long. He grabs the tome and starts flicking through the pages. He has found what he needed. 
As the demons smash the barrier the mage chants from the tome and then with an explosive light the ground shatters and the demons have been vanquished. The words unknown.
What is know to the party is that they witnessed a miracle.

TLDR

I think it would be nice and unique if our characters could display 2 weapons on them at all times.
The secondary weapon can only be drawn if a combo has been executed.

Knights Sword/shield and spear on the back
Warriors Twin Swords and Great sword on the back
Mages Staff and orbiting.... orbs or tomes chained on their hip
Rangers Bow and rappier
Rogues Sword/dagger and Bow on their back

I understand that such implementations might be a bit too much. Just food for though and if possible why not. Something new.

Comments

• Options
    Jeffrey addressed this in a livestream. At a certain point they have to make systems and display decisions about what they want to have shown on the character. Secondary weapons did not make the cut due to the workload of making sure that nothing would clip through armor and trying to avoid "clutter". They did say, have no worries, there will be plenty of extras on display that have a priority over others like belts and cloaks.
  • Options
    I did read the whole post, but all I have to add is an anecdote from a bygone era of gaming.  I don't know if you are familiar with a game called Rune, but the weapon system in it was very unique.  You could pick up and equip shields and weapon system of all sorts.  Everything you picked up was visibly stored on your body somewhere. The combat system allowed you to throw any of these items, so you could completely unload your arsenal on a opponent and have all your gear laying on the ground and you could run around and pick the items up again. 

Not it that I'm saying this would be appropriate for Ashes but it was a very natural feeling for combat. It also gave a strong feeling of urgency in tense scenarios. 
  • Options
    Image result for the hunter with 7 weapons

This is gonna be me in game so i can use all abilities at once and just face roll the keyboard to pk
  • Options

TLDR

I think it would be nice and unique if our characters could display 2 weapons on them at all times.
    The secondary weapon can only be drawn if a combo has been executed.

Knights Sword/shield and spear on the back
    Warriors Twin Swords and Great sword on the back
    Mages Staff and orbiting.... orbs or tomes chained on their hip
    Rangers Bow and rappier
    Rogues Sword/dagger and Bow on their back

I understand that such implementations might be a bit too much. Just food for though and if possible why not. Something new.
    Part of the reason this wouldn't work in *this* game is that there are no class restrictions on items.

This means that in order for this to work in this game, the developers would need to find a way to render a character with a bow and a staff, with a bow and another bow, with a warhammer and a sword and shield, or any other combination of weapons that exist.

The lack of class restrictions on weapons will not see the same issue that ESO had. In ESO, rather than having a healer class, they made it so anyone could equip a healer staff and become a healer. This meant that everyone did that.

In Ashes, there will be healer classes. A fighter equipping a healers weapon does not make that warrior a pseudo healer, it just makes him a less effective fighter.