Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Cities Castles Fortresses and... Hideouts? Ownership and pride

Most good mmorpgs have Castles fortresses and guild halls that players compete to own.

The common thing about all these buildings is that players had to be part of a strong guild in a strong alliance to manage to enjoy them.
I am certain that many players have formed strong friendships over the years and there are small groups... small teams of up to 10-15 players that are orginized and some times more arrogant in a good way than big guilds, going against everyone, sidding with no alliance.

What if in AoC we could provide these small groups with HIDDEN Hideouts across the map.
Small caves (behind waterfalls), ruins, abandoned cottages. A  base that they can port back when they die, a base from which to go out and pillage, a base were they can craft and install a dummy for dps practise, or a crafting station or a storage chest. Banners of the group etc etc.

A place in which a single player, NON guild player can claim, and assign priviliges and permissions to players from /friendlist.

And here's something interesting.
These Hideouts can be discovered and trespassed by other players that ARE NOT part of a guild. These players would have to destroy any structures that are inside the Hideout in order to claim it for themselves and become the new bandit group of the area.

These Hideouts could be a usefull base for intepended player groups that want to go against big guilds.
Offer them something that they can claim, build upon, protect and be attached to.
More things for players to explore on the map.

Comments

• A  base that they can port back when they die

Before getting on to anything else, I feel it's worth pointing out that there won't be porting in AoC - with the rare exception of economic metropoles. As far as we have been told, guilds with castles won't get ports to them.

As for the idea, it seems to me to be little more than a way to encourage players to segregate themselves into smaller groups, in a game that is all about encouraging groups of players to band together to take on larger guilds.

That small guild in your post shouldn't be looking to take on a larger guild by what would amount to little more than gorilla tactics, they should be looking for other groups that they can band together with.
  • Gorilla tactics......
    Image result for gorilla tactics gif
  • Sitting in a cave, feeding on berries.
  • stay out of my underground tombs
  • Nobody wants to go inside those unwashed, smelly tombs. Unless you got shinies.
  • To an extent, I feel Freeholds kind of satisfy this role.  I think a small guild (and my guild would be considered a small guild too) could work together on a freehold (or small group of freeholds) for that kind of environmental gameplay.  

Though, it would be nice if guild members could have the option to move freeholds closer together.   But I suppose large guilds could take that aspect out of hand.  
  • ......go play Ark? 

AOC has a motto or sorts......"putting the mmo, back in mmorpg" or something near thar.

Anyone can have a freehold I believe. But to give it benefits akin to a castle, that takes so much more effort and coordination to attain, seems belittling.

Single player and small group content will exist, however it has been repeated many times that this is not the primary playstyle the game will be geared towards. 
  • ......go play Ark? 

AOC has a motto or sorts......"putting the mmo, back in mmorpg" or something near thar.

Anyone can have a freehold I believe. But to give it benefits akin to a castle, that takes so much more effort and coordination to attain, seems belittling.

Single player and small group content will exist, however it has been repeated many times that this is not the primary playstyle the game will be geared towards. 
    The game is not 'geared' towards anything, people will be allowed to play however they see fit as long as the game allows it.
  • ......go play Ark? 

Wouldn't putting the MMO back into MMORPG just mean the game has more content and diversity than anything else?  

• Wouldn't putting the MMO back into MMORPG just mean the game has more content and diversity than anything else?  
    No, the RPG would mean that. The MMO part would be lots of people. Massive Multi-player Online vs Role Playing Game. There will be content for players to consume, just not your traditional themepark go from point to point. You will need to decide what to focus on, rather than being told "You are level 20, better run Rockcandy Mountain dungeon 10 times till the next one opens!"
  • ......go play Ark? 

Wouldn't putting the MMO back into MMORPG just mean the game has more content and diversity than anything else?  
    And freedom to dominate the environment, as opposed to most themepark mmorpgs out there with meaningless housing and isolated PvP
  • ......go play Ark? 

And freedom to dominate the environment, as opposed to most themepark mmorpgs out there with meaningless housing and isolated PvP
    Well we already know housing in Ashes won't be meaningless - it will be second only to Archeage in terms of it's uses and I expect it will overtake that game before long.

PvP also won't be isolated. There are twice as many systems to assist in PvP initiation than any other MMO has, and far more at stake for the winners of that PvP.

The problem here is that where Intrepid want players to think big, some insist on continuing to think small.
  • ......go play Ark? 

The housing is already not meaningless, and if done as they said it will be, has far more freedom and function then any mmo yet has done. However these do not have the same type of function that a castle or similar structure that has to be won and defended.

Th OP suggested that these hideouts function like a castle or clan hall, only for a solo to small group of players. 
  • As long as I can have a gothic house near a graveyard im happy ^^
  • nagash said:
    As long as I can have a gothic house near a graveyard im happy ^^
    I like the way you think!
  • Trafalk said:
    nagash said:
    As long as I can have a gothic house near a graveyard im happy ^^
    I like the way you think!
    You should enjoy the good things in unlife ^^
  • Castles should be the ultimate symbol of wealth and domination.

I'd just like to see gangs and bandits in a game with caravans. 
    Something like Hideouts (that by no means would offer benefits more that a brick of a Castle) would make bandits a new mmorpg experience 

Freeholds seem to be visible to the naked eye and similar to each other.
    Do they have set known to everybody (like castles) date and times of siege?
  • Castles should be the ultimate symbol of wealth and domination.

I'd just like to see gangs and bandits in a game with caravans. 
    Something like Hideouts (that by no means would offer benefits more that a brick of a Castle) would make bandits a new mmorpg experience 

Freeholds seem to be visible to the naked eye and similar to each other.
    Do they have set known to everybody (like castles) date and times of siege?
    Freeholds are only able to be attacked and destroyed if the parent node loses a siege for a two hour window following the siege loss. So "known to everybody" would be a yes, if the siege is lost by the parent node, everyone will basically then beat feet to defend their freehold. Roaming gangs of those that were on the opposing side may sweep through the countryside razing and pillaging.

• I'd just like to see gangs and bandits in a game with caravans. 
    Just because it would be a "new MMO experience", doesn't mean it is one that the game needs.

It would be bad for the game overall to have locations all over the world where people have easier access to raiding caravans. It would stifle the economy of all nearby nodes to a far greater than desired degree.