Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Mount from A to B vs Adventures on foot

(Apoligies for double posting but my previous topic is not accessible)

I've come to dislike Mounts in mmorpgs.

I feel like they take away any sense of adventuring with the ease that you skip any encounters. Just hop on a mount and from A to B with your only consern that you may need to go around lakes or mountains.

Just skip all those monsters that are supposed to be there to challenge you and make travelling an adventure on it's own. 
Will I have to slash my way through this forrest and prevent possible item loss upon death? Nope! Hop on a mountain and get to point B without even noticing the beautiful environment around you.

Then again it feels good ridding out with a group. 

Idea: mounts can only be summoned in communities with stables and can be unsummoned only in communities with stables.
Mounts can only travel fast on roads and slow down a bit off road.
If a player gets dismounted they have a very short time to get back on the mount, or it dissapears, for good.

Comments

• Options
    Whelp, you are SooL. They sold me a bunch of mount skins, so there are going to be mounts. There are some great f2p retro games out there with 1990 graphics that may have the mechanics you are looking for. Most of them come with great things like always on full loot pvp and mindless grinding to 8 bit soundtracks. Have fun.
  • Options
    I don't think you have thought this through.

Barring specific a metropolis type, individual nodes have non-connected markets. This means that the market for your node will only have the items that were put up for sale in that node. If you want something that was not put up for sale in that node, you need to travel to the next node over, or the one after that.

Further, again barring a specific metropolis type, there is no fast travel. This means that you can't just port to that town, you need to actually *go* there.

If players have no mounts, or if players are expected to kill each encounter between the points they are traveling to, then the game itself would grind to a halt, starting with the economy.

The monsters between two points in the game are not meant as content to be tackled every time someone wants to travel between those two points. If that were the case, it would take longer to get to some dungeons that it would take to clear them (remember, no fast travel, so you and your group are running to your dungeons).

As to your idea, I'm not personally a fan. Being attacked in PvP is out of an individuals hands, and as such there should be no punishment for simply being attacked (the outcome of the PvP is all that is needed).

If I am on my horse going from one node to another and I get jumped by a corrupt player, even if I win, I am still left in the middle of nowhere without a mount. That is a bad system.
  • Options
    Given that the world is so massive and the lack of fast travel, I personally feel that mounts should be made as accessible and useful as possible as opposed to reducing their utility and increasing the inconvenience for them like you've suggested.
  • Options
    couple of things to take note
    • How fast are these mounts 
    • NPCs' A.I. ?
    • Will the NPCs ... "lose interest" after a certain parameter/ distance of chasing you ? ( think of WoW ) 
    • OR ... Will the NPCs' A.I. be like DarkFall - to where the NPCs could attac you first 
    • How many hits will it take for the Player to knocked-off their Mount 
    • Will Movement-Speed be slowed-down once entered in Combat 
    • What if there's a tactical disadvantage for on the Mount ... such as having your NamePlate be seen from further way , as opposed to your nameplate not being seeing at the same distance ?
    probably other things i'm missing
  • Options
    Narys said:
    Given that the world is so massive and the lack of fast travel, I personally feel that mounts should be made as accessible and useful as possible as opposed to reducing their utility and increasing the inconvenience for them like you've suggested.
    +1! Who would want to travel for hours only to lose their horsey and have to crawl back home? If I'm travelling 3 Skyrims (1 SR= 37.1 km². Google it, it's a unit of measure!) to the East, I want an ignoble steed that I can mount and dismount on a whim. I might even be ok with the typical 'mount in your pocket' that can be pulled out whenever necessary. For as much travelling as will be in this game, convenient travel is a must! 
  • Options
     I might even be ok with the typical 'mount in your pocket' that can be pulled out whenever necessary. 
    Good news for you then, because "mount in your pocket" is indeed the confirmed mechanic.