Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

pvp game balance vs creativity and pvp gear.

So lets say Ashes of Creation pulls it off and the game is pretty close to being balanced.

So lets say a dev has a great cool idea for lets a say a bard that would be really fun  well cannot really do that cause that would upset game balance unless you did it for every class.

Think it would be better if you  just had abilities that could be used in pve and others pvp and some in  both.  

I mean you could have legendary abilities for mages that are on a 3 day cool down that consume some crafting item.  Instead of just having legendary weapons for every class.
But obviosly  would not be allowed  in pvp.  

But in wow I heard a dev actually say that they could not implement cool ideas cause of pvp game balance.  WTF  just have different rules for pvp and pve.  Since mobility is a huge advantage in pvp then items that buff that should not be allowed (if op that is) in pvp but allowed in pve.   Not just entirely removed from game for balance.

Jeff said  no pvp gear but I would like to see pvp gear.  Having pvp gear does not mean the game has to be really grindy it could be made more easy to get.  The main thing is having standardize gear for pvp guess you could also go for all gear scales down in pvp but there will still be certain items that make a class to OP.  Those items should be banned from pvp.

Just to sum it up the pvp community is huge out there.  There are tons of people that for the most part play pvp games  like sports games car games mobas and so on.   So when they play this game they will be looking for game balance.  If they do not see that then they will just play another game that does.

Jeff said that if pvp get good enough that there would be tournaments.  Well if you have tournaments they will come.  And would also like to add that  you have to actually make it that good not just hope it gets that good.   I mean  it does not cost a lot of money to get pvp game balance and  make arenas fun and battlegrounds fun and game balanced cause you already have all  the infrastructure from the pve part of the game.  Just have to be really smart about it.

Comments

• The whole point is that people can engage in both pve and pvp content without having to hunt for separate gear or possibly dedicating themselves to only 1 side of the game, the process of actually getting equipemnt is also part of the game so if there is a player with a legendary weapon and he shits on other players in terms of damage that does not mean the weapon should only be allowed in pve.
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited July 2018
    PvP Gear sucks. While out in the Open-World, while you're doing some PvE Content ... here comes someone with their PvP Gear prepared to attack
    • You can't change your PvE Gear to PvP Gear *while in combat* ... so thats already pissy considering that you'll be at a disadvantage
    • There is the" weight mechanic " ... having another Set of Gear is going to push that Threshold ... meaning that you'll (likely) not be able to carry anything else.  Its already odd how you can "carry" a another Set of Gear in your pocket without visually showing the other Armor on the Character Model 
    • via ... How do you have* another set of Armor if i can't see it ?
    •  PvP Gear makes things annoying & unnecessary 
    There's nothing tactical about having PvP Gear in a PvX MMORPG - there is no use in having it. Therefore it shouldn't be implemented
  • Jeff said  no pvp gear but I would like to see pvp gear. 

Well....lol, dad already said no.

Besides if they "pull it off", and the game is balanced, why would you need PvP gear?
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited July 2018
    I'm 100% completely against pvp only gear.  I've played too many games now where that was a core design philosophy, and it does absolutely nothing other than create a bigger barrier for new players to effectively get into pvp.  And it only serves to widen the gulf between pvp'ers and the pve'ers who would have potentially even considered pvp. 

The less restrictions pvp has, the better, for overall participation and enjoyment.  Ashes already has a lot of restrictions for it, so lets not add another pointless layer to it.
  • The main thing is having standardize gear for pvp guess you could also go for all gear scales down in pvp but there will still be certain items that make a class to OP.  Those items should be banned from pvp.
    You need to stop looking at other (shit) games and thinking Ashes will have the same problems.

This is more true of WoW that any other MMO - WoW as a MMO is produced so poorly, with so little thought in to what the future of the game could be, that you can't take their mistakes and expect other developers to make them as well. Blizzard are so bad at MMO development that they have their own category of fuck ups.

Many MMO's (read: WoW) had PvP as an afterthought. They designed and coded their PvE combat, which resulted in mobs and player characters having different stat curves - and at times different stats.

Then they tried to overlay PvP combat on top of that and found that - since player characters were geared towards dealing damage to mobs, when they instead started dealing damage to other players, things were broken. Some attacks were mitigated down to literally nothing, and some attacks had no player based mitigation, resistance or other defense for at all, and so they would deal even more damage to players than they would to PvE encounters.

In Ashes though, PvE and PvP are simply just "combat".

Both are being developed as one.

This means that players and mobs will use the same stats throughout. 

It then follows that if combat is designed around both PvE and PvP, then itemization for each would have to be the same. Rather than having mitigation for PvE and then a different mitigation for PvP, players simply have mitigation.

It isn't a case of the developers not wanting to produce PvP gear, it is a case of the stats a player wants for PvP and the stats are player wants for PvE will be the same.