Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Question about Tank's Ultimate Skill

According to this, the tanks ultimate skill: 'ultimate defense skill' immobilizes you at rank 1. So why is it that at rank 3 does it break cc on cast and give you cc immunity if you cant even move once you cast it anyways?

Comments

• Options
    My guess would be that the CC immunity would still apply to other CC such as stun, sleep, silence etc perhaps.
  • Options
    The rank 3 affect allows you to use this defensive skill when you are CCed else you would have to wait for the CC to end before you could pop it. Just because it immobilizes you, there is still value in breaking any current CC on you, increasing your resistance, and increasing your incoming healing.

A common tactic in pvp is to use CC to initiate a burst, this allows you to instantly get out of that CC and reduce the incoming damage from your opponents.

There is also the easy to see pve application. Tanking a boss, pop this, take less damage and get healed up.
  • Options
    The sole ability to remove any CC is quite good especially combine this ability with a taunt and there you have someone trying to hit a wall.
  • Options
    It's worth noting that everything in the link in the OP is from a time before the developers had even started working on the games combat.

Literally everything there is just a placeholder.

Afaik, we don't even know if Ashes even has "ultimate" skills.
  • Options
    Weapon use abilities and ultimates have been cited by the developers as recently as 4 June 2018.
  • Options
    Weapon abilities sure - though I must have missed any mention of ultimates.

However, since the OP is referring to something from a live stream in October last year, my point stands that it is placeholder until confirmed otherwise.
  • Options
    Information they release to us is part of the open spirit of development that Intrepid are fostering. They release information like this to engage discussions about the game systems and mechanics (like those on this forum and discord) so that they can obtain valuable feedback from the community. 

And sure the information might change based on testing and based on our feedback and that is great!

From the latest information Intrepid have given, ultimates are in the game and the weapon use ability drives the focus to power these ultimates. Until they provide different information, what they have said last must stand as the most accurate representation of the game as they see it.

This transparent sharing of information with us during development is one of the things I admire the most about the devs <3
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited July 2018
    lexmax said:

And sure the information might change based on testing and based on our feedback and that is great!

Sure.

But as I said, the info in the OP is from October last year.

Even just in response to the PAX demo that was months after that, Steven emphasized many times that all combat so far is placeholder.

Ergo, the "content" the OP is talking about has to be assumed to be placeholder (the most recent info we have on that specific content), until Steven says otherwise.

I mean, sure, maybe we know we have ultimate abilities. Thing is, the question isn't about if we have ultimates. The question is about the specific mechanic (and the usefulness of that mechanic) of a specific ultimate - one that is from a time when we have been outright TOLD by Steven that all combat is placeholder.

My point - the point that still stands - is that such questions are premature at this point in time. Unless of course someone wants to say that combat from October last year isn't placeholder despite us being told it was.

Come Alpha 1, questions like this become worth asking. Right now, they aren't.
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited July 2018
    Opinion noted, however this forum was set up for the express purposes of discussing information Intrepid have released to us.

Intrepid does read these forums and are wanting everyone to engage in active and open discussion. No constructive discussion should ever be suppressed.

Keep the great theroycrafting and those awesome ideas flowing!