Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Deep Crafting and what follows

Something I've wished for when playing certain types of MMORPGS is that crafting could and WOULD reach a next level, not just that you went from 75 skill to 100 or similar, but that the depth of it reached so much further. Say I take up blacksmithing in AoC, living near a mine where my gamerbuddy, brother or some new friend from within the game ends up being my little miner-slave and perhaps bodyguard. He slaves hard bringing me all the materials and minerals needed to craft armor and swords, maybe I focus on crafting weapons, swords especially, maybe i get really good at getting just the right temperature of the mineral, maybe i know just how and when to hit the sword so that it becomes quite durable and stays sharp. Maybe someone comes to my blacksmith shop, buys a sword I've been working on for hours ingame, getting all the right finishes just right. Maybe this guy goes on an adventure taking down big foes, leaving his friends and surroundings in awe of his amazing weapon. "Who crafted such a beauty for you if i may ask?"  "Oh that will be the blacksmith Andsi up near Awesomeville, a blacksmith true to the craft indeed!"  And so my reputation spreads, the demand for my craft rises, the need for an apprentice and more miners grow, perhaps now I start my own guild to recruit for such. Then as my blacksmith shop grows, so does the population around it. Now the local mob of goblins start to get annoyed by my/our presence and starts raiding our mining carts, aaaand so now i need to hire bodyguards, setting up watchposts etc etc... You see how all this can so quickly unfold into quite an adventure of its own? :D 

I really really hope something like this is what you guys at Intrepid would take up! It seems like JUST the game to have such happen in! 

Comments

• Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited August 2018
    That i like to see :smile: it will make blacksmith look epic and on the weapon add a description like "Made in the burning forge of the mighty Andsi the blacksmith"  (for example)
  • Options
    I really like this idea.  Possibly a choice in style or colour to add a certain craftsman's look to it.
  • Options
    Ye exactly, stuff like that too!
    I was recently looking for a more advanced and proper blacksmithing games(been getting really into blacksmithing lately) and found something called Jacksmith, pretty simple procedure to crafting stuff, simple flash game. If something along those lines could happen in a game of this magnitude.. gosh!
     I imagine they won't implement a deep and advanced super techy crafting system, but something inbetween that and just clicking "craft" and plop, out comes Epic Sword of Destruction, you know? 
  • Options
    Should Intrepid come upon this little thread of mine and think to themselves: well we dont know anything about blacksmithing, how would we go about such a thing?

This guy got all that covered(and then some)
    https://www.gamedev.net/blogs/entry/2256317-game-crafting-activities-in-real-life-blacksmithing-part-1/

https://www.gamedev.net/articles/game-design/game-design-and-theory/game-crafting-activities-in-real-life-blacksmithing-part-2-r3057/
  • Options
    Man you like youre crafting :smile:
  • Options
    Well, if it were to reach something close to what im wetting my pants over atm, i sure as hell would love it!  But the feeling of gathering all the right gems and materials to then just click "craft" is such a terribly MEH feeling, if it were to take longer than that and have the reward be equally big, it would be so much more worth it! 
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    sorry but did anyone else think of love craft from the title or was that just me?
  • Options
    Im sorry what? did the word anticipate get cut from your sentence or? Not sure i understand :D 
  • Options
    well deep is deep ones. crafting is lovecraft and what follows is madness ^^
  • Options
    Insanity-crafting
  • Options
    Well in a game of the magnitude that the developers seem to have ambitions towards, i think something like proper crafting would go very well hand in hand with that. Naturally it can be simplified(a lot) from what im suggesting and still be rewarding and worthwhile, but simply having the option to put lots of time into the crafting of each item would be awesome. Lets say you could have a fully functional and decent sword in 5 minutes of crafting. But to have a truly epic sword of amazing proportions, one would have to spend some extra time in the forge, hammer it out longer to cure it for imperfections. Spend longer time with the grinding stone to have it be super sharp, maybe visit the leatherworker and/or carpenter in the nearby town for a specially made handle or handle-wrap etc. 

Maybe at the start when everyone is poor one could simply be crafting wooden shields, simple swords and maybe horseshoes to improve the stamina of peoples' mounts. I have a ton of ideas, clearly :D 
  • Options
    @Andsi if you become a blacksmith i am going to be you're favorite customer then, seeing so hype you are i can see were you intend to go
  • Options
    Noted my good sir, I will be looking forward to finishing your first order! 
  • Options
    My passion may or may not be inspired by Alec Steele on youtube :D 
  • Options
    Looking forward to play whit you B)
  • Options
    I seem to remember in Star Wars Galaxies before they ruined the game there were crafters who were renowned for making armor or weapons and had shops set up on planets where you could go buy their wares. i bought a really high end set of armor off the best crafter and it had "made by so and so" on the description of the pieces i thought it was pretty cool and it sounds like a good idea
  • Options
    And rightfully so, having spent time and resources on crafting something not everyone has, credit should be given where credit's due! :) 
  • Options
    The title made me think of the movie Ghost. Guy liked pottery then he got dead on him.
  • Options
    I liked how the Skyrim blacksmithing was done, actually using the forge.. Except to include skill into it, like maybe the rotating of the mouse and pressing the right keys at the appropriate times, with different levels like lower level blacksmithing appropriate times are harder to get right and higher levels make it easier to get appropriate ones
  • Options
    Fortunately, it has already been confirmed that the crafter's name will be on their products.
  • Options
    Yeah that much is true T-elf! Looking forward to learning more about their idea of crafting, quite vague description atm! :p
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    Not sure where this guy found this out, maybe i missed a panel or something! 
    Caravan system:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=267LfQgNv-E
    Crafting:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cTYzZLnl40
    Crafting (corrections):
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9h73ABkAnOY
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    @Andsi
    @DeathsProxy has been around for a long time and was a moderator.