Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Trade Route Environmentals

As we know there will be Trade Routes via Land and Sea. My thoughts here are putting an emphasis on Environmental changes and interaction during each trade route, outside of the scope of just weather effects. For example, for sea trade routes,  could there be a % chance of certain creatures following and jumping behind Trade ships, (similar to how we see dolphins in RL follow ships), Along with flying creatures landing on the masts, or even having random generation of floating supplies in the water around that route. For Land, I'd like to see interaction with the land animals. For instance, if a herd of creatures are on or very close to the trade route road, they would become spooked and run off (or stampede off). Having Roads show wear after amount of time, and similarly to what i said previously, have some empty supply boxes or containers near the routes adding to the environment.  These are just a few ideas, however I think there are numerous amount of other ideas that can be added during trade routes

What do you guys think about this idea?

Comments

• While i was reading your post @Shadowven i was all ready seen all the action you was mention in me mind, was quite epic, the best on i like was the ship one, was all ready imagining a big Kracken coming out of the water and puling down the ship .. uff "Pirates of Caribbean"
  • @beyond89 Thank you for your input. lol well Kraken wasn't exactly what i was thinking but that's definitely something that could pose a threat. Although, that could also be something related, I wasn't talking much about the environment hindering or attacking the ships/caravans.  But more on the side of adding visual depth and amazement of the surroundings. (Primarily because we know that Trading will be very important and will need to be protected and time consuming) So during the route why not really enjoy what Verra offers environmentally. 

Now on a side note, similar to the size of kraken, I was pondering that there could also be a possibility of adding a % chance of a specific mob spawning on a trade route (dependent upon Trade variables) which would be exclusive to trade routes only.
  • sound good to me
  • I think terrain is meant  to have an effect but i haven't heard much on the environment impacting. While its something nice to have and certainly polishes the game more, it's most likely not a priority for them. So possible in the future i'd say but might not see something like this at launch
  • probably,  yea, still whant to see a bloody Kracken in the game, or some sirens 😁😁😁
  • I'd love to see a decent amount of complexity when it comes to caravans and trade routes, there's plenty of cool aspects to caravans and trade routes that they could take advantage of to make each route unique and the experiences each time a bit different.

• Terrain/weather and it's effect on caravans: snow, flooded areas, sand, etc. could hinder caravans and could add a different dynamic to customisation as different wheels, caravan animals and equipment could suit certain terrains, seasons and biomes more than others.
    • Flora could affect the various routes: overgrown terrain as trade routes are rarely used and could make things initially slower but as the trade routes are further established and become more popular it becomes less of an issue.
    • Nearby fauna could also effect caravans: different fauna and threats could necessitate certain equipment being used on certain routes to protect from threats, perhaps a route with some angry fire throwing demons would require some fire retardant coverings or a route with nearby trolls would require a heavier caravan capable of withstanding attack.
    All of these would make the caravan system more interesting, would make the journeys more unique and the terrain and surroundings could play a bigger part in making the world feel a lot more alive and the environment being more than just a colour palette swap.