Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Gear and PvP?

Hey ladies and men,

Background behind the questions: The reason I'm asking these questions is because I'm coming from BDO. The systems there are really screwed right now in bdo and I'm really hoping for AoC to save the genre for me.
In bdo you need to gear for a year or longer if you want to compete in tournaments. You can only participate PvP after youve been grinding PvE for six months or longer.
The game is gear to win, gear gaps in game are huge.

Im basically questioning if theres any info on how the gearing for a mostly PvP focused player will be?
Will I be able to PvP without PvE?
Are there any statements concerning equalized gear in instanced PvP?
Will I be able to gear through PvP?
Do I need to grind dungeons/raids for a year before I can PvP?
Are there any statements concerning equalized gear in instanced PvP?

I only care about instanced PvP and duels.
Open world PvP is mostly people looking for advantage over another player instead of challenge, not my thing.

Comments

• Options
    Dont know if it answers your question but gear will not be divided between PVE and PVP, so far we know that the highest level gear will be gotten through a mix of dungeons/raids and crafting but there will probably be more options than that.

http://www.aocwiki.net/PvP
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited August 2018
    Sooner or later you will run into pve or pvp. So if you are only into instanced pvp I suggest you wait and see how the game takes shapes to see if it fits you. It looks for now that at some point you will have to pve :

"First inclination, no, not pure PvP. Players will naturally come across non-PvP aspects that they will need to deal with. Questing, killing certain monsters, stuff like that." 

source : http://www.aocwiki.net/PvP

there will be arenas, however open world pvp, with the caravans, castle sieges and node wars is a pillar of the game.

you can find more info on pvp here : 

http://www.aocwiki.net/PvP 

and here 

https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Risk_vs_reward

• Options
    edited August 2018

Holy damn the corruption system seems awesome!
    It seems that they are looking at eq PvP for arenas which would suit me perfectly.

In WoW I used to PvP/E but in there I had the choice to do either.
    I did PvE and PvP  for the fun of it. M+EN was fun and required group play, organizing and sociality.
    PvP was fun because it required for me to take objective point of view towards myself. Being able to accept all the faults in myself and work on them.

I don't mind gearing up through PvE when Im not forced to do so.
    I guess Im just trying to say that its important for me to be able to have possibility for purely skill dependent game play.

Will there be any “equalized” PvP in this game? (For example, zone into a battleground, everyone with equalized stats)[47]
    1. Possibly in arena battlegrounds with competitions, with ranks
    2. Not in the open world, “definitely not in open world”
    3. We may find that certain types of battlegrounds/arenas may have it.
    4. We are still talking about it.
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    Open world PvP is mostly people looking for advantage over another player instead of challenge, not my thing.

I understand where you are coming from. Most OWPvP systems in MMOs have failed spectacularly, and as a result OWPvP has come to be dominated by those who enjoy victimizing the weak and unprepared, as well as those who enjoy griefing PvE players.

There are some pretty impressive plans and some pretty good ideas for AoC's OWPvP. Caravans in particular has a lot of potential for impactful PvP in the open world, and sieges promise to be momentous occasions.

I hope that a fair deal of attention is also placed on arenas once IS gets its OWPvP systems fleshed out and polished. I am a big fan of structured PvP between two equal teams. Whether it is instanced or gated off in an open world setting makes little difference to me, so long as I can enjoy challenging PvP matches with good rule-sets in place.  :)

As for Equalized PvP: I'd definitely be for it. I was always behind the gear curve in Rift, and always wonders what difference gear/state equalization would make to the outcomes (I stuck to PvP, and ironically players would progress their PvP gear faster if they did 'x' amount of dungeons per week).
  • Options
    It should also make class balancing easier if an equalized setting was placed.
    Overall the dev team seems to be really smart with thought out decisions.
    Im quite sure some kind of equalized PvP will be up at release to have pure skill dependant activity and to ease class balancing.