Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Gear improvements/enhancements

An adventurer need weapons armor, skills and to lv up.
A strong adventurer needs to improve this gear in order to get an advantage over enemies.

Game1. When using sword you deal 1k dmg. When using sword +3 you deal 1.2k dmg.
When using sword +6 (at the risk of destroying the weapon at +4 +5 +6) you deal 1.8k dmg.
Weapon enchant Scroll is rare. Weapon requires a bit of effort to craft. 

Game2. When using sword you deal 1k dmg.
When using sword +9 you deal 1.1k dmg
There is a risk of destroying the weapon after +9 if you over enchang.
When using sword +12 you deal 1.2k dmg
When using sword +16 you deal 2k dmg.
Weapon enchant scroll is not rare. Weapon can be farmed in 20mins.

Game1. Take this quest. Organize a large group. Kill 3 Raid Bosses, whilst looking out for enemy players. If you devote time and efort to complete this quest, you can enchant your armor. Your armor can be enchanted to give you 3k HP extra or 3k MP extra or whatever.

Game2. Run DarkTower dungeon. Complete dungeon. Congratz. You can enchant your armor for extra HP MP or whatever. 
Your armor is +150 HP. To further incease your enchantment run the DarkTower dungeon again. Max enchant +4.5k HP.

In which game would you feel like it was enjoyable perfecting your gear?
The one in which you get considerable strength from putting effort to increase your Tier or the one at which gets you there with repetition?

Comments

• Options
    Effort, repetition gets boring and stale at some point, I'd rather rarely do upgrades and only on the best gear but make it meaningful :3
  • Options
    Personally I never understood the point of 1k damage. To me it's just pointlessly adding zeroes to something to make players feel more cool. From levels 1-50 dmg could range from 100-10,000 or 10 - 1,000 or 1 - 100 and the results would be the same. Imo over inflating the damage for no reason makes the game cheesy. Hopefully since Ashes is not an Eastern MMO we can avoid such silly things.

As for gear leveling, you should have to be an artisan. Otherwise if players can level their gear without the need for artisans the dynamic IS is aiming for would be, imo, tilted away from player crafted/modified items towards quest oriented gear leveling.

I would vote against allowing players to grind or quest to level gear. Sure, you can find better gear, but artisans should be the ones making the gear better. Artisans should be able to design the same quality of goods that can be farmed too.
  • Options
    If its going to be either I wont even touch gearing and only play equalized arenas or skip the game if there wont be eq pvp.

I would much more prefer a system that rewards skill, team play and requires you to face challenge instead of repetitive, boring, brainless grind that rewards merely time played.
    Had enough of boring time sinks only to be able to even participate in pvp when playing bdo. 550+ gear score if you even wanted to stand a chance.

The gearing is supposed to be an experience, something you can be proud of.
    Not something that will tell others you use all of ur free time in game doing repetitive actions and the game is ur only job. Second job for some...

You should have advantage over others being good at the game and having situational experience. Not because u dont value ur real life time and have wasted ur waking seconds grinding.

I would prefer Game3 Gear ench +5 max, each upgrade attempt requires you to obtain a scroll from endgame raid or dung. 
    +1 45% chance to succeed, +2 35%, +3 25%, +4 18%, +5 12%.
    Failing will degrade ur gear to previous enhancement level.
    The damage bonus at +5 would be 1,2x and would be only applied in PvE and open world PvP.

This way there would be a reason to go towards the endless gearing and never running out of objectives but at the same time preventing gear victories in PvP.
    Normal softcap in PvP and endless grind for PvE.

But afterall fun is subjective.
    I cant know if someone actually has fun playing the game for endless repetitive grind for gear instead of sieges, caravans, battlegrounds, guild battles, arenas, rank1 in PvP, raids, dungeons, rank 1 in PvE, role-playing.
    Although following Stevens comments and the Intrepid team it seems theyre quite smart and wise enough to pull good choices and I doubt neither of the examples in OP will be even taken to consideration.
    They probably know that games have huge potential to improve cognitive functions and repetition doesnt do that.

Sorry for being triggered but soon to be dead bdo left a really ****ty taste in the mouths of players. Bad communication, lying to player base, constant bad decisions to point where only rational explanation is that they want to kill the game, including increasing gear gaps.
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited August 2018
    If its going to be either I wont even touch gearing and only play equalized arenas or skip the game if there wont be eq pvp.

I would much more prefer a system that rewards skill, team play and requires you to face challenge instead of repetitive, boring, brainless grind that rewards merely time played.
    Had enough of boring time sinks only to be able to even participate in pvp when playing bdo. 550+ gear score if you even wanted to stand a chance.

Not something that will tell others you use all of ur free time in game doing repetitive actions and the game is ur only job. Second job for some...

You should have advantage over others being good at the game and having situational experience. Not because u dont value ur real life time and have wasted ur waking seconds grinding.

I would prefer Game3 Gear ench +5 max, each upgrade attempt requires you to obtain a scroll from endgame raid or dung. 
    The damage bonus at +5 would be 1,2x and would be only applied in PvE and open world PvP.

This way there would be a reason to go towards the endless gearing and never running out of objectives but at the same time preventing gear victories in PvP.

I cant know if someone actually has fun playing the game for endless repetitive grind for gear instead of sieges, caravans, battlegrounds, guild battles, arenas, rank1 in PvP, raids, dungeons, rank 1 in PvE, role-playing.
    Although following Stevens comments and the Intrepid team it seems theyre quite smart and wise enough to pull good choices and I doubt neither of the examples in OP will be even taken to consideration.
    They probably know that games have huge potential to improve cognitive functions and repetition doesnt do that.

Sorry for being triggered but soon to be dead bdo left a really ****ty taste in the mouths of players. Bad communication, lying to player base, constant bad decisions to point where only rational explanation is that they want to kill the game, including increasing gear gaps.
    AGREE!

The gearing in this game should be based on artisan crafters. Like in d&d you slay a dragon or some other boss for parts. You adventure the world for pieces that you bring to a crafter who can make new gear with it or make your current gear better. That would be awesome! I also like the idea similar to SWG where crafters don't make the same item with the same status. Depending on quality and scarcity of the mats used. Also custom naming would be nice rather than +1,+2, +crappy number system that has no meaning or customization. And finally I feel that tool tips should have the creator's name on it so you know who makes server best armor, or weapons. Like you can be a famous sword smith where people know you far and wide for your skills.
  • Options

• Options
    remember that items in Ashes decay over time and break. Eventually, you will need not only the materials required to make it but also a crafter able to make it in order to repair it (basically remake the item). On top of that, you need to upgrade it to + X destroying it yourself. Which makes the item rotation quite intense. Adding a difficult system to upgrade them on top of that would make the item sinks too harsh IMO.
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited August 2018

I feel like gearing should be based on crafters. Like D&D you adventure and find mats far and wide to bring to a crafter to improve your gear or make a new one. and like SWG the crafter's name should appear in the tool tips so people can know the names of the best sword smiths and armor smiths and search them out far and wide. It should have customization in name and style and not simply +1,+2,+ lazy number system for lack of a better name. How awesome would it be to know that no two crafters make the same weapon the same way? That the scarcity and quality of the mats used change it's properties. To be known as the server best swordsmith or what ever crafter would be amazing and breath life into a repetitive system seen in other mmos where every one makes the same old same. 
  • Options
    Azathoth said:
    Personally I never understood the point of 1k damage. To me it's just pointlessly adding zeroes to something to make players feel more cool. From levels 1-50 dmg could range from 100-10,000 or 10 - 1,000 or 1 - 100 and the results would be the same. Imo over inflating the damage for no reason makes the game cheesy. Hopefully since Ashes is not an Eastern MMO we can avoid such silly things.
    I can't emphasize this too much, please for the love of the gods have numbers start in the single digits and don't over inflate; and any numbers with 4 places or more, please use commas.  B)
  • Options
    I hate those horrible x% upgrade chances. Better make it cost more materials with 100% chance to upgrade.
  • Options

I hate to be the bearer of bad news. Games should require a time investment. Just being good reflex wise, and having muscle memory, already gives someone an edge.. However investing a year of time in a game should also give an edge. Someone just starting out shouldnt really compare to someone with a large amount of time spent building something. 

This isnt COD... this isnt a first person shooter. 

Levels and gear SHOULD matter.

That said, im not a massive fan of RNG, and RNG based destruction or degradation of gear because of RNG based enhancements. 

However most people playing MMOS that have played them for the last 10 to 20 years, play them because investment means something. 

• Options
    YuccaPalm said:
    I hate those horrible x% upgrade chances. Better make it cost more materials with 100% chance to upgrade.
    100% to upgrade is not a good idea either, it would be waaaay too easy since materials can be gotten in a lot of ways
  • Options
    Torment said:

I hate to be the bearer of bad news. Games should require a time investment. Just being good reflex wise, and having muscle memory, already gives someone an edge.. However investing a year of time in a game should also give an edge. Someone just starting out shouldnt really compare to someone with a large amount of time spent building something.

That said, im not a massive fan of RNG, and RNG based destruction or degradation of gear because of RNG based enhancements. 

However most people playing MMOS that have played them for the last 10 to 20 years, play them because investment means something. 

Why should unhealthy amount of time playing a game be rewarded?
    The edge youve gained through fightning in the game should suffice along with capped gear.
    Whats the point of fighting others if u most always win without challenging urself?

• Options
    Torment said:

I agree, but I mean the crafting in such gear should be hard to obtain just not in RNG. It should be in the quality and scarcity of resources. As I have said. 

"I feel like gearing should be based on crafters. Like D&D you adventure and find mats far and wide to bring to a crafter to improve your gear or make a new one. and like SWG the crafter's name should appear in the tool tips so people can know the names of the best sword smiths and armor smiths and search them out far and wide. It should have customization in name and style and not simply +1,+2,+ lazy number system for lack of a better name. How awesome would it be to know that no two crafters make the same weapon the same way? That the scarcity and quality of the mats used change it's properties. To be known as the server best swordsmith or what ever crafter would be amazing and breath life into a repetitive system seen in other mmos where every one makes the same old same. "
  • Options
    Torment said:

The edge youve gained through fightning in the game should suffice along with capped gear.
    Whats the point of fighting others if u most always win without challenging urself?

It shouldn't mean that you win every time because you have gear. It should give you an edge yes, but a better player should be able to out play him in PVP if his gear and level is with in reason not like a 20 level difference or something. 
  • Options
    Torment said:

Define unhealthy? More hours than you play?

You dont get to dictate whats healthy or not. Whats unhealthy? 12h a day ingame, enjoying ones self... or 12h a day in a cubicle working.. 

Some people dont have to work anymore, some dont work at all.. some work alittle.. Some have more time to invest than others. 

That investment shouldnt be disregarded. 
    Games that flat out ignore the idea that you build based on time... tend to fail. 

People want progression. This isnt just based on skill, or their present "level" which is nothing more than an artificial cap. Gear progression is a thing. There will always be a gap between players that play less and those that play a good deal more. 

This isnt going to be a heavily casual game. The vastness of the things to do in this game shows that. However the plus side is most of it isnt solo gameplay. 

The point of this was that someone with the time investment will reach these steps faster. Gear capping too early, causes the game to lose appeal. Just like levels capping too early. Players, including those hardcore gamers that play a good deal more than most, need things to do. As long as the game provides that, and what they do is progression based, it should be ok 

• Options
    Torment said:

It shouldn't mean that you win every time because you have gear. It should give you an edge yes, but a better player should be able to out play him in PVP if his gear and level is with in reason not like a 20 level difference or something. 
    Ive seen many undergeared players beat overgeared players in games, because of legit skill. 
    Most games work out that way :)
  • Options
    Personlly Id like gear to be involved crafters (each 50member guild should have 3 of them-example to hightlight the importance)
    When it comes to enchantment Id like it to be a once off per set (weapons, armor, jewelry), meaningful choice of enchantment, that requires fun but tough group activities and then that's it. This gear can carry you for the next 20 lvs.

Not small % improvements on repetitive grinding.

As for gear needing repairs I have mixed feelings.
    I like the realism and importance it places on being part of a guild(with crafters) but there has been bad examples. Eg ESO and BDO in which it is just amnoying.
  • Options
    I'll agree maintenance can get really bad, but I am hoping it's part of the testing phase and they listen to feed back.

Simple basic weapons should be sturdy, because early on it's hard to manage repairing your armor/weapon every 2-3 battles.

Strong weapons with higher level reqs could be more fragile, requiring more expensive repairs slightly more often.

I know this sounds somewhat backwards, simple/cheap weapons should fall apart quicker and magic/powerful weapons should last longer. Imo however, at the earlier levels it can really put players off constantly repairing equipment. At higher levels it can be used as a currency/resource drain.
  • Options
    In my favourite mmorpg a group of let's say 9 players would xp in the open world for about 20 mins due to how buffs worked in the game. Then the group would rest for 2-3 minutes due to combat MP mechanics, rebuff and go for another 20mins.

Maybe in AoC every 30 mins of xp weapons need to be repaired by a crafter in the group and maybe armors need to be repaired in the event of death.

PvP combat should not affect the durability of gear.
    My 2 cents in order to make repairing part of the game but not annoying.
  • Options
    As you get older you will find that the time duration gets shorter. If you maintain your buff for longer than 4 hours, consult a doctor or hospital.
  • Options
    Torment said:
    Define unhealthy? More hours than you play?

You dont get to dictate whats healthy or not. Whats unhealthy? 12h a day ingame, enjoying ones self... or 12h a day in a cubicle working.. 

Some people dont have to work anymore, some dont work at all.. some work alittle.. Some have more time to invest than others. 

That investment shouldnt be disregarded. 
    Games that flat out ignore the idea that you build based on time... tend to fail. 

People want progression. This isnt just based on skill, or their present "level" which is nothing more than an artificial cap. Gear progression is a thing. There will always be a gap between players that play less and those that play a good deal more. 

This isnt going to be a heavily casual game. The vastness of the things to do in this game shows that. However the plus side is most of it isnt solo gameplay. 

The point of this was that someone with the time investment will reach these steps faster. Gear capping too early, causes the game to lose appeal. Just like levels capping too early. Players, including those hardcore gamers that play a good deal more than most, need things to do. As long as the game provides that, and what they do is progression based, it should be ok 

Unhealthy means ure addicted to gaming and it surpasses activities in real world in priority.
    Cleanning ur house, regular meals, sleeping, exercising and going to work are healthy activities for average person and even though theyre simple tasks they take time.
    I can not give you time in hours because my own opinion is that its individualised.
    There are health professionals opinions on it if u prefer that type of approach.
    If you give huge advantage to those that disregard these activities to play a game it encourages unhealthy life habits.

It seems nice to the nolifers, sick people and others to have a game to play to get lost and use their time not being miserable. It should anyhow be type that does not completely devalue the play time of others with healthy habits can input.
    Meaning 20% damage bonus for nolifer is unreasonable.
    I wouldnt mind there being that larger gaps for PvE content as long as they werent mandatory to run the content.
    In PvP a nolifer going god mode with insane gear? Does that honestly sound like a good concept to you?
    Im not saying there shouldnt be any progression. Im simply stating that the amount required to play to keep up should not be unreasonable. The progression after unhealthy should be diminishing but could still be there.

You can look up definitions of unhealthy also if u want to go through universal facts.
    You cant argue that its good for average person to sit at a computer playing 12 hours a day if you even attempt to look at it rationally.
    You cant have an valid argument that it should be encouraged either.
  • Options
    @gb1990gaming
    Having to craft/repair weapons after 30 minutes of combat could go either way for me. Again, at the low levels if every 30 minutes you had to sink all of your collected resources into maintenance, you would never gain traction. Where as at upper levels some of the more intense quest could require more than 30 minutes of combat and if your character is not in a group or capable of repairs it might mean being unable to complete a quest.

I think different power levels of items should degrade at different rates. I don't know what that perfect blend would be though.
  • Options
    Azathoth said:
    @gb1990gaming
    Having to craft/repair weapons after 30 minutes of combat could go either way for me. Again, at the low levels if every 30 minutes you had to sink all of your collected resources into maintenance, you would never gain traction. Where as at upper levels some of the more intense quest could require more than 30 minutes of combat and if your character is not in a group or capable of repairs it might mean being unable to complete a quest.

I think different power levels of items should degrade at different rates. I don't know what that perfect blend would be though.
    Repair must not be tied to a cost. Id prefer it if it was something that crafters can perfom as an additional combat role to groups, like bards and healers.

If that is the case the weapons should last a week before they get damage. Then Ill spend gold/resources for it.
    Not every 2-3 hours if I am to spend time/gold on them. That is tedious.