Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Alpha 1 Combat Trailer!!

First Look Into Ashes of Creations Alpha 1's Combat.
https://youtu.be/F3ywQc5gVys

Comments

• Options
    Imagine......

I rly wish that AoC will not go with Eso combat mechanics.
    Those animations are beautiful and the Classes move gracefully
  • Options
    Imagine......

They are going to be mixing action combat with tab targetting.

We've now seen the early tab-targetting stuff, now the more up to date action combat. 

• Options
    Was it just me or did the dark magic look very eldritch

• Options
    It looks really good, I couldn't cath the stream and didn't see this.
  • Options
    Really excited about getting to see this first hand next month!
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited August 2018
    Imagine......

When it comes to combat, there's not a lot of choices to go with. It's either action combat or tab targeting or both. So I don't know what you mean by ESO combat mechanic, it seems that ESO is more oriented on action but Ashes wants to have a balanced mechanic with tab targeting. I personally am happy to see roll dodge and hopefully active blocking too like ESO but I'm also happy that Ashes is giving us the choice to use tab targeting too.
  • Options
    This kind of looks like ESO, but not in a good way. It's too floaty. 

I would never play a melee character in this sort of game. The animations are the same whether you are 5 feet from someone or 6 inches. There's no spatial awareness, which is why the combat animations look weird and feel like you are swinging through air. 

The GW2 combat system is the best implementation of combat that is inspired both by action and tab targetting, IMO. 
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited August 2018

I would never play a melee character in this sort of game. The animations are the same whether you are 5 feet from someone or 6 inches. There's no spatial awareness, which is why the combat animations look weird and feel like you are swinging through air. 

The GW2 combat system is the best implementation of combat that is inspired both by action and tab targetting, IMO. 

You do realize that the recent combat they showed is pre-alpha and yet it still looks good. There will be a lot of improvements to be made until a possible 2020 release. 

I mean if your going to base your opinion cause the combat is "floaty" and then say that look GW2 is better?? GW2 has been out for God knows how long and AOC is still in pre-alpha.

• Options
    @Valerian look up Tera Online combat.
    Active with roll dodge and block and much more.

When a character attacks with an ability but decides to block the ability is cancelled, no dmg is dealt and the character blocks instead.
    In eso you can normal atk, use ability and block/bash/dodge/swapWeapons in 0.7s
    That is not action combat. That is mindless rotations
  • Options
    nagash said:

Purple Eldritch storm ;)
  • Options
    They hope to have the combat done right in 7 months or so i think they said. If this is their first pass, i can't wait to see the full system next year
  • Options
    Flameh0t said:
    nagash said:

Purple Eldritch storm ;)
    Its a warp storm ^^
  • Options
    nagash said:

Evard's Black Tentacles!

Intrepid is much farther along than I expected. I wonder how they're going to make their hybrid action-tab target system.

Also the music is fantastic.
  • Options
    Impressive movements, tons of magic radiance and colors, love it!
  • Options
    I'm glad we are getting a "target lock" tabbing system.  Whether you realize it or not, the AI uses target lock on your character, so we should have the same ability. 

Very much so looking forward to testing some of these abilities out in September. 
  • Options
    After catching a good look at it, I find it to be very promising and going in the right direction. I am anticipating the game even more with every stream. 
  • Options
    nagash said:
    Flameh0t said:
    nagash said:

Purple Eldritch storm ;)
    Its a warp storm ^^
    Haha oh yeah that makes much more sense, fucking chaos scum.
  • Options
    Rough around the edges, some animations need work. However to be expected of alpha footage. 

Its really nice to see dodge-rolls. And the pacing of the combat seems great, not too slow, and not too fast from my interpretation the combat seems really reactive and skill-based. 

I'm hoping we will be able to bait enemies into dodge-rolling by cancelling skills. 

I'm quite excited and curious to see further development and testing of the system. 

• Options
    I'm excited by this hybrid system.

As a healer I'm all for tab targeting. To see how they mix it for 1 on 1 healing vs AOE healing is going to be interesting especially  with all this moving and dodging.
  • Options
    Zackallic said:
    I'm excited by this hybrid system.

As a healer I'm all for tab targeting. To see how they mix it for 1 on 1 healing vs AOE healing is going to be interesting especially  with all this moving and dodging.
    Same! I'm thinking it's another matter of risk vs reward and focused vs broad attacks. Things such as augmented healing bow projectiles for example could give even larger payouts but require skill shots. 
  • Options
    @Elliot

Good example interesting to see how they mix a cleric and ranger.

Myself I'm hoping Apostle -cleric/tank

With all the classes and there mixes I have a feeling shields maybe a great use in certain situations. Maybe leaving bubble shields for people to duck into with meteors coming from the sky. Or shielding against siege weapons.
  • Options
    Great stuff!
  • Options
    It looks very much like ESO but faster paced. You can also see some Warframe elements in the combat (the bow zoom) and we know they are taking inspiration from GW2. It's a very promising first pass for sure and we have to remember we're about to hit Alpha 1 and they are going to work 7 months on the action combat.
  • Options
    I never ever saw a game with worse combat than gw2 has. I spent a few months trying the game, but that's terrible, no wonder why it ended up being f2p....
    Also the fact that the PvP is pretty much dead there, shows how enjoyable the combat is in overall.
  • Options
    Valerian said:

You do realize that the recent combat they showed is pre-alpha and yet it still looks good. There will be a lot of improvements to be made until a possible 2020 release. 

I mean if your going to base your opinion cause the combat is "floaty" and then say that look GW2 is better?? GW2 has been out for God knows how long and AOC is still in pre-alpha.

Fair enough, but better to say it now than not say it and be too late for the devs to do anything about it.  It does look floaty, too.
  • Options
    I don't know what floaty means, do you mean that the toons are floating in the air. As if your trying to walk on the moon !! God sake if that's the case, it's not what I saw. Again lots of refinement time with regards to animation and immersion mechanics.

If you go to a dev and say you need to change the floaty aspect of combat, he would probably laugh at you because either he won't know what your talking about and wants more specificity or he'll answer something like well we still have lots of improvement  to do with regards to graphics/animation part as were still in a testing phase.
  • Options
    It did remind me of ESO combat (which I do pretty good at).  I personally don't know how the faster pace will affect me.  If mobs move as fast as these players were I might be in trouble.  I tend to suck at kiting and my usual strategy is to run up to the mob and hit it in the face repeatedly with my weapon until it dies.  I'm ok with dodge rolling to "stay out of the red" but full speed constant kiting might be too much.  This also explains why a lot of my characters tend to be heavy armor tank\off-tank types.  ;)
  • Options
    akmaa said:
    I never ever saw a game with worse combat than gw2 has. I spent a few months trying the game, but that's terrible, no wonder why it ended up being f2p....
    Also the fact that the PvP is pretty much dead there, shows how enjoyable the combat is in overall.
     GW2 is not exactly free to play tho. The f2p aspect of it is just a very limited demo. That game without the paid expansions is really bad. Of course, even with them, it has a lot of limitations compared to what Ashes wants to be. Especially the PvP part of it and the diversity of classes/spells/builds available.