Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Please stick with action combat

I understand that there are some old school players that want a traditional tab-targeting option for Ashes of Creation, but what i saw in the latest trailer was really impressive, fresh and a step forward for the genre IMHO.

The gameplay felt alive, fast paced and seems to require full attention of what you are doing, unlike the old tab-targeting system that allows automatic, slow and boring gameplay.

I honestly think that this kind of action-combat gameplay can reach newer generations of players while appeling at the same time to old gamers that would be more interested in the whole package that Ashes offers with the node system for example.

Comments

• Options
    I prefer tab-targeting for PvE, and since this game is both PvE and PvP, both is a good decision.. I really don't understand what this post is trying to accomplish.. No point begging for them not to add in tab-targeting, we are getting both, regardless of either of our opinions.
  • Options
    It was a lot of older generation MMO veterans the funded the game.

Some of still have attention spans longer than a gold fish, who still enjoy the (slow,methodical,planned) aspect of traditional MMO genre combat systems. I don't want to be forced into 100% full focused attention gameplay all the time.
    Sure appeal to newer gamers but don't disregard on rest of the old hands that got you there in the first place.

how they intend to merge both systems is the crux.
  • Options
    I bet this person and the one who made the thread on keeping the camera in a fixed position have coffee together.
  • Options
    Whocando said:

Some of still have attention spans longer than a gold fish, who still enjoy the (slow,methodical,planned) aspect of traditional MMO genre combat systems. I don't want to be forced into 100% full focused attention gameplay all the time.

Well if the older generation funded the game lets ask the devs to make combat turn based. I can hear all the screaming now.
  • Options
    Whocando said:

Well if the older generation funded the game lets ask the devs to make combat turn based. I can hear all the screaming now.

Don't think he/she meant "that" old! :D
  • Options
    Look I had issues and reservations with the PAX quick time event combat system then and voiced my concern about it....the Tab traget system then was poor but it provided valuable feedback, which thankfully was listened to.

there are pros and cons to both, and neither is perfect because you have to cater to the majority of players/subscribers.

Fact is TAB target/action combat hybrid system was the sales pitch. I have seen attempts at both now with positive and negative aspects  also.

So when the hybrid system is shown I will also be critical of that too.

turn based animation locked is going a bit far back, however the team at intrepid know thier way around a D20

trying to convince me that "this is the future" without respecting the values of history is a weak sentiment.

• Options
    I am an older player, and part of the 'whole package' I funded was the options to pick tab-target or action while leveling my PC.
  • Options
    What is this thread trying to achieve? all i am seeing is drama. In me opinion the battle trailer that was out look amazing.
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited August 2018
    I'd rather see both combat systems in the game. There are advantages to both. Tab targeting is very good for healing for example and as long as you can pick between both I can't see any downside to it. It just gives everyone the option to combat how they want to.
  • Options
    I think its important to note that some Tab-targetting abilities can have Action-Combat characteristics. On the  other hand though ... tough to say vice versa

Action-combat having tab-targetting characteristics only seems like it'll limit what can be done with Action-combat. Which is ... kinda the reason i feel as though the Overall-combat should be mostly action-combat ( but not too big of a gap )

But i do believe its already been confirmed that its up to the players' choice of which preference they like ... but the peak of both spectrums being 75% , while the latter being 25% .. err ... whichever the player choose.

Who knows, something is bound to change. Not sure how much though
  • Options
    We will get "both". No no reason to cry. 😊
    But you are right, if you say, what we "saw in the latest trailer was really impressive, fresh and a step forward", I agree that complete.
    Because the biggest problem in past, in other titles with action combat was: there was no action. :D It was often sluggish, lame, not fast enough! etc. - but AOC it seems "comes in a new guise". And that is sooo fine. I am really so curious, how it will feel to play.
    I am sure, AOC will be the next best MMORPG on the throne. With right.

• Options
    I want to see tab target abilities perform well in open world PvE, and very bad in PvP.

I like the idea of tab targeting in PvE because it makes hunting sessions with the group easier. No need to mash buttons like crazy for open world normal mobs.

Obviously for Bosses with mechanics action combat would be so much more enjoyable.

• Options
    SaintJ said:

"And go the direction of action combat when it comes to damage skills. I feel like doing damage should take skill, not be a given."

^ SO much this. I think that skillful gameplay should be rewarded. They way they show the action combat gameplay look like you actually have to aim to land your attacks, and you have the option to dodge enemy attacks aswell. Tab targeting its so easy in my eyes, just target the enemy and press X ability to hit them without any skill involved.
  • Options
    Oh yeah... cause those so great "wowkiller" action based combat games was so big success...
    oh...
    wait...

They all failed and are dead/dying and most went to f2p in just few years....

Deal with it. Action based combat have no place in mmorpgs.

Also the combat that I see on that video is garbage, nothing impressive there, I would certainly not buy the game after it.
    Ofc a small, but loud minority will praise it... as the dumb, easily manipulable and not so smart players go with the hype... but don't be delusional... they will be the first who will leave to hype a another mmo. They aren't loyal, and a mmorpg can't be build upon hyping kids for a year or two...
  • Options
    You do realize there's no point in shouting 'Your combat system sucks!' - 'No, your combat system sucks!' at each other. It's already set in stone there's gonna be a hybrid system and that's it. Chill out, everyone gets what they want B)
  • Options
    Well I'm 23 so don't know if that counts as young or old, but I agree with @Azathoth. When I bought a Kickstarter package, I funded the option of being able to pick tab-targeting (which I prefer), not being forced into one or the other. 
  • Options
    well gw2 has an action camera mode and news flash nobody uses it.

It has quite possibly the best target lock combat system to date without a heavy reliance on telegraphs like Wildstar. it's dynamic enough to accommodate novice to high tier competitive skill play. I am using it as an example as there appear to be some similarities.

When I see action combat in MMO's all I see is AOE and cleave spam with aim assist. I think it its a case of mistaking combat pace with skill.
    I see people comparing it to warframe, i don't have a huge amount of experience with it to compare, but i will say that i don't feel it totally appropriate to the MMO RPG genre.

So if skill is an irrelevant metric regarding both methods equally. then when it comes down to is how you look at your environment and your target and the rate of ability engagment/TTK

I am with the program...it's a hybrid system in Ashes  so hopefully the best elements of both and not he worst.

maybe I am a 70 year old granny.

• Options
    edited August 2018
    So long as our characters don't look like a bunch of bad LARPers swinging air I think I can adjust. 
  • Options
    I agree with a few other rational people in this thread, if you like one more than the other good for you! You can build your character to play the way you want, customization is amazing in that way.

If you are trying to tell us that Action only is the best/only route because "skillz" that's okay. Use your mad skills to kill tab-target oriented players.

If you think Tab-target is the only way that's okay too. Build your character to be a Tab-target powerhouse.

Hopefully I want Ashes game play to require both, the 75/25% split that has been mentioned would be nice. My character will probably be closer to 50/50%.

I don't think this argument should be made on the PvP vs PvE front. If your PvP skills are good you have nothing to worry about from a PvE oriented player.
  • Options
    Plain camera view isnt what makes action combat. Especially when its implemented like action camera mode in gw2.

When ure thinking gw2 action camera mode being action combat mmo I get the feeling that u dont know what ure talking about...

When someone swings a guy in front of him with a sword. Does it not make sense that a person in front or right next to him gets hit because hes on the path of the blade? 
    Only good argument is that too effective aim assist can ruin the experience of rewarding good aim.

Intrepid probably has already a vision of this and I hope they go with a fact based vision before considering subjective feedback from players.
  • Options
    edited August 2018

The gameplay felt alive, fast paced and seems to require full attention of what you are doing, unlike the old tab-targeting system that allows automatic, slow and boring gameplay.

The pace of combat has absolutely no relation to the combat system being used. You can have slow and clunky action combat just as you can have fast-faced and dynamic tab-target combat.

I have played a multitude of games that featured either action combat or tab-target. Most of them had fun combat regardless of the system in place. I'm fairly sure that this goes for most of those populating these forums.

Understandably, some people have developed a preference for one over the other. And that is perfectly okay.

What is not okay is trying to impose one's preference over the entirety of the AoC fan base.

AoC is to have a hybrid system that will hopefully incorporate the best of both action and tab-target. Ruffling feathers by calling for the abandonment of one of these two pillars will accomplish nothing of value. However... if you want AoC to have an engaging and dynamic combat system, the stick around for the Alpha 1 and 2 phases and give some quality constructive criticism on both aspects of the combat system.
  • Options
    Neverwinter had the best combat system in my opinion. I hope Ashes will be similiar when played in retical mode.