Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Questions regarding the new EU publishing deal.

I've recently heard about the upcoming publishing deal to bring AoC to Europe with MY.com. I have a few questions and a few concerns about this.

From my experience My.com has been associated with poor quality, highly P2W MMOs that essentially die soon after release. This is concerning at best, especially given the promised anti-P2W nature of the game. Has the P2W direction of the game changed?

I was under the impression from earlier Q&As that AoC was going to be self-published. What has changed?

Public perception of MY.com is heavily negative. Some quotes I have read equivicate My.com to 'cancer' and 'as bad as EA'. This sentiment appears to be pretty much universal. In fact i'm yet to hear one person defend My.com or paint them in a positive light. Why would AoC decide to partner with someone so heavily dispised in the gaming world, despite their job being marketing the release of the game? It all sounds fairly counterintuitive, especially with some communities already having concerns with AoC being able to deliver on their promises.

Is this being blown out of proportion or are there legitimate red flags here? I cannot believe Intrepid wou

Comments

• Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited August 2018
    I have no personal experiences with either my.com or mail.ru, other than knowing they took on Revalation Online and Archeage respectively. 

I do have expirence with both these games. And both are a P2w nightmare.

So to answer your question on both accounts, yes. It is probably blown out of proportion AND it is a red flag.

These companies tend to latch into projects that are leaning P2W or microtransaction heavy. This is concerning and honestly should concern anyone whose attracted to AoC because of the anti-P2W aspect.

However, we do not know the terms of the deal yet. Maybe they are just providing server and customer support locally. Maybe Intrepid kept all creative and financial control? Maybe the only other options were worse?

Either way, I'd like to wait and see what details emerge and let Intrepid explain the deal before I make a judgment.
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited August 2018
    Everyone acting like they know the outcome already, I would just wait for Steven to respond in more detail. Not every contract is the same. 
  • Options
    Dragnon said:
    Everyone acting like they know the outcome already, I would just wait for Steven to respond in more detail. Not every contract is the same. 
    They ruined Revelation Online, Skyforge, Warface, and Armored Warfare. 

Every single game they have published so far has been destroyed. Just the thought of them working with My.com won't allow me to touch this game.
  • Options
    There are a lot of legitimate red flags based on my.com's track record.

• Options
    The largest red flags is, will this mean P2W will creep into the game in the future? How can we trust any answer that says no?

And how can anyone be expected to share information with a company known to be malicious?

As well as, who will take care of customer support for EU? It can't be them, because they're incapable.
  • Options
    Honestly this whole affair is like a shit stain on Intrepids reputation so far, my.com is that shit stain.
  • Options
    SaintJ said:
    I would like to know if Intrepid made money from the deal with My.com.
    Sounded like that to me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFgVa3n3Olk&t=26m55s

• Options
    SaintJ said:
    I would like to know if Intrepid made money from the deal with My.com.

Usually, publishers pay the developers for the rights to publish in certain areas, and receive a cut from the sales made in those areas.