Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

To clarify things about My.com (EU)

First, I would like to say that I was also extremely disappointed by the decision of having my.com as our EU publisher. But after the Q&A and looking for a few reliable information, I can only say this: What are you guys really worried about?

I'll tackle all the topics I've encountered on both Reddit and discord:

-"My.com will make the game p2w": From what Steven said, this is not their intention and they are bound by contract to follow the guidelines of Intrepid developers. So this following statement is either just some mild babyrage or unfounded words like we're used to here.

-"My.com has bad servers.": Once again, Steven was clear about this and said that the standards of their servers needed to abide by Intrepid's standards. So if the servers are shit at release, it meant that Intrepid was okay with this quality. So you either trust Intrepid on this or you don't.

-"My.com has security issues.": Now this is the fun part. As My.com will be the holder and those in charge of all of EU playerbase's data, they have to abide by EU Laws AKA the GDPR laws. https://www.eugdpr.org/gdpr-faqs.html
Here is a link to what it is. But for those too lazy to click, it states that not only any breach of our data will be sanctioned but they also have to compensate every concerned user in case of any problem. This 2018 not 2016 revelation online. Since a few months ago, like any companies dealing with our data in EU, you have to improve your security measures because you won't like what happens next if anything is breached.

-"My.com has a bad launcher": I can't say anything about that since I have not used it in ages, but I guess they will make it better? I don't know.

-"My.com has banning issues.": Once again I'll quote Steven on this. He said that there will be in-game features for anything related to botting and stuff. And the feedback sent by players will be dealt with by human beings, not bots. For bans related to payment (risk of fraud), he also stated that Intrepid will work together with My.com in dealing with tickets sent to the Support service. 

All in all, I am trusting Steven a lot in this not only because my.com is bound by contract but also by laws. I am not saying that all our problems are solved, but the one people are complaining about is just butthurt people who can't seem to accept reality and try to see the details around the matter.

Intrepid has nothing to gain by associating with my.com unless they can keep what took them this far: our trust. Some may say they lost the moment they accepted my.com as the EU publisher, I just say that you should take your chill pills and trust in Intrepid and, for once, in the laws in this case. 

Damn it's been a while since I last made a post o.o

Comments

• Options
    Honestly, I'd prefer to see IS self-publish if possible. I do understand that might be difficult, especially given the previous difficulties IS has had with establishing themselves within Europe.

That said, I'm not convinced that My.com would be able to kill the game in Europe. I've seen a lot more vitriol than actual fact from those opposing My.com. A proper analysis of My.com's past performance and a detailed look into their role in making their various games P2W would be helpful in this discussion.

FFS, I've seen comments from people who have never heard of My.com before today making ultimatums and threatening to abandon the game.

Seriously, wtf?

It seems we have formed a mob here, and I absolutely hate mobs.
  • Options
    Yeah, the problem is I don't think many of us know about what publishing in EU means and its repercussions and that a signed contract cannot be "burned" the next day with "my Reddit doesn't like you, wait my forum too... WAIT! My discord as well! So no contract anymore."

Do people think everything can go their way at all times? Even Blizzard had a security breach and no one is losing their mind about it now do they?

People just can't seem to understand what Steven tried to do from a game developer standpoint. For them, having a third party publishing their game is THAT much of work off their shoulders and more time to focus on the game since they PROMISED a release before 2020. And now people are saying they are ok if they go back on their words... It doesn't work like that though.
  • Options
    Yeah I'm not worried about it to the point I would not play, but honestly it would have been better if IS self-published/takes over eventually in the EU aswell.
  • Options
    Promises are worth nothing when they come from someone who's known to break them (I mean my.com, not Steven ;) ). But it's not even about that.

Even if the whole community would still put their trust in Steven and everything turned out to be all fine with my.com (and that's some big IFs), Ashes just lost a considerable amount of future players, that don't know the vision behind Ashes, who just see my.com and will never even consider to give that game a chance.
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited August 2018
    Waysm said:
    First, I would like to say that I was also extremely disappointed by the decision of having my.com as our EU publisher. But after the Q&A and looking for a few reliable information, I can only say this: What are you guys really worried about?

-"My.com will make the game p2w": From what Steven said, this is not their intention and they are bound by contract to follow the guidelines of Intrepid developers. So this following statement is either just some mild babyrage or unfounded words like we're used to here.

-"My.com has bad servers.": Once again, Steven was clear about this and said that the standards of their servers needed to abide by Intrepid's standards. So if the servers are shit at release, it meant that Intrepid was okay with this quality. So you either trust Intrepid on this or you don't.

-"My.com has security issues.": Now this is the fun part. As My.com will be the holder and those in charge of all of EU playerbase's data, they have to abide by EU Laws AKA the GDPR laws. https://www.eugdpr.org/gdpr-faqs.html
    Here is a link to what it is. But for those too lazy to click, it states that not only any breach of our data will be sanctioned but they also have to compensate every concerned user in case of any problem. This 2018 not 2016 revelation online. Since a few months ago, like any companies dealing with our data in EU, you have to improve your security measures because you won't like what happens next if anything is breached.

-"My.com has a bad launcher": I can't say anything about that since I have not used it in ages, but I guess they will make it better? I don't know.

-"My.com has banning issues.": Once again I'll quote Steven on this. He said that there will be in-game features for anything related to botting and stuff. And the feedback sent by players will be dealt with by human beings, not bots. For bans related to payment (risk of fraud), he also stated that Intrepid will work together with My.com in dealing with tickets sent to the Support service. 

All in all, I am trusting Steven a lot in this not only because my.com is bound by contract but also by laws. I am not saying that all our problems are solved, but the one people are complaining about is just butthurt people who can't seem to accept reality and try to see the details around the matter.

Intrepid has nothing to gain by associating with my.com unless they can keep what took them this far: our trust. Some may say they lost the moment they accepted my.com as the EU publisher, I just say that you should take your chill pills and trust in Intrepid and, for once, in the laws in this case. 

tl.dr: you have exactly zero argument, but still make a topic, and write a wall of text in attempt to wash them.
    That's my friend 100% brainless fanboyism, the worst of worst....
    Saying things is easy... everyone can say anything.... guess my.com also said it will be different after they already ruined a game and launched a second... but the history shows that they lied...

Words doesn't mean shit. Deal with it. If they would "only" ruined one game, ppls would maybe believe... but they didn't just ruined one game....

btw even if you want to believe in them brainlessly, don't think for even a second, that my.com will dance as Steven wants them... aoc is the weakest party here. Even if my.com has a bad reputation, they are still a relative big company and they ain't gonna bend their knee to a noname indie studio that just going to release their first game...
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    This clarifies nothing.

In your opinion things might be okay, but you have no evidence to suggest that it will, against mountains and years of evidence that have piled against my.com/mail.ru.

I understand your desire to defend something you believe in, but it adds nothing to the conversation except for fanning the flames of (justifiably so) upset players, and to accuse them of 'babyrage' and that their concerns are 'unfounded' is frankly BS.

-1. Shame.
  • Options
    @akmaa An indie Dev Company ... but they are Veterans in the Industry - the Founding Team of Intrepid boasts more experience in MMORPGs than even Blizzard and other Devs too

Note i said MMORPGs instead of MMOs in general ... *cough* MMORTS *cough*
  • Options
    Many would have been under the impression during crowd funding that the game was self published.

Now the community finds out the a 3rd party source mind you because "we are 100% transparent with our community" that it will not be self published outside of America.

That many EU publishers were approached and this was the best outcome....

So "trust" i have been told to trust and trust and trust with every folly and questionable design decision and now backroom contracts behind their total transparency approach

It just another major kick in the nuts.

I even purchased skins in the cash shop after the latest combat demo, and i fkn hate cash shops...

Shilling hype and cashing in on hope.

disappointed.

I mean Steven has a history with Trion in the NA and he pulls this one over the EU base, seriously.

• Options
    akmaa said:
    Waysm said:

tl.dr: you have exactly zero argument, but still make a topic, and write a wall of text in attempt to wash them.
    That's my friend 100% brainless fanboyism, the worst of worst....
    Saying things is easy... everyone can say anything.... guess my.com also said it will be different after they already ruined a game and launched a second... but the history shows that they lied...

Words doesn't mean shit. Deal with it. If they would "only" ruined one game, ppls would maybe believe... but they didn't just ruined one game....

btw even if you want to believe in them brainlessly, don't think for even a second, that my.com will dance as Steven wants them... aoc is the weakest party here. Even if my.com has a bad reputation, they are still a relative big company and they ain't gonna bend their knee to a noname indie studio that just going to release their first game...
    Lols.. Says words don't matter, then proceeds to write 3 paragraphs..
  • Options
    I'm curious... did Steven specify why they chose not to self publish? What is the issue with Europe that has discouraged IS from attempting a self-publish there?
  • Options
    he said it would have been impossible for them to keep their promised deadline of "before 2020" in the EU if didn't get a publisher.
  • Options
    Santy182 said:
    he said it would have been impossible for them to keep their promised deadline of "before 2020" in the EU if didn't get a publisher.
    I would much rather a delay than this to be honest :/
  • Options
    Santy182 said:
    This is why I created a poll because I thought maybe Intrepid didn't believe the EU would go for that if it allowed Intrepid to publish here, but alas, we'll see.
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    If Intrepid were actually full transparent as they advocate, they would have stated this issue since the beggining and ask the community back then for our thoughts regarding this problem. Now it's too late to change since the deal was already made. Because it's obvious one would not mind to wait a bit longer for the release if a better publisher or even Intrepid themselves would be the ones doing it. Ashes is all about a change/shift from the usual MMO problems. There is no point in repeating the same bs just to be able to play the game a bit sooner, otherwise it becomes just like every other failed MMO out there, no matter how good the combat or the new game node mechanics are.

I believe Intrepid could actually pull this off, but asking me to believe that they will be able to not only revolutionize the MMO genre BUT ALSO change the very rotten and predatory nature of the likes of My.Scam is too much to ask. If they eventually manage to do so i will be damned. It's just a matter of trying the game 1 year after the release if the EU community feedback is positive anyway (since i did not spend any money on this so far). So time will tell i guess.

• Options
    @Nefelia
    Nefelia said:
    I'm curious... did Steven specify why they chose not to self publish? What is the issue with Europe that has discouraged IS from attempting a self-publish there?
    Intrepid had planned to Launch Ashes of Creation Globally all on the same day ...  EU has Legal issues ...  that would (supposedly ) be very costly for Intrepid & delay the Release for EU because it will also take some time.

Hope i did not miss anything
  • Options
    Demonneo said:
    If Intrepid were actually full transparent as they advocate, they would have stated this issue since the beggining and ask the community back then for our thoughts regarding this problem.
    Read that some times now and it's rather illusional.

There would have been only one single scenario where this could have worked. If the pre-2020 release was the only reason they had to opt for an EU/CIS publisher, they could have asked the (EU/CIS) community if they'd been okay with a delay so IS could self publish. But neither do we know if the release schedule was the only reason nor do we know if IS could have by any chance handled a self publish. So that's highly speculative.

If they really had no other choice than to look for a publisher, the search for an appropriate partner was none of the community's business anymore. We're talking about big business here which reaches far beyond the concerns of the community. Informing them upfront would have been no good, as the community's influence on such a decision could have only been minimal at best. I mean people suggested Steam as publisher which shows how little they know of what IS really required. So instead of having a major uproar right now it would have been an additional 5 months of the community revolting.

All in all people seem to think they deserve an insight in matters that actually surpass their competencies.
    However that does not mean that I am okay with my.com. I'm just saying there might have been no other choice at all.
  • Options
    c0ug4r said:
    Demonneo said:
    If Intrepid were actually full transparent as they advocate, they would have stated this issue since the beggining and ask the community back then for our thoughts regarding this problem.
    Read that some times now and it's rather illusional.

There would have been only one single scenario where this could have worked. If the pre-2020 release was the only reason they had to opt for an EU/CIS publisher, they could have asked the (EU/CIS) community if they'd been okay with a delay so IS could self publish. But neither do we know if the release schedule was the only reason nor do we know if IS could have by any chance handled a self publish. So that's highly speculative.

But that was actually the reason Steven hinted in the Q&A discord session. That's why i made the previous comment. Because, of course, if there was other business reason besides that i would just simply state my disappointment and move on.
  • Options
    Credit to Paradox Gaming Network : breakdown and analysis AoC my.com/mail.ru
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DNDTl_4HCs&t=934s

• Options
    Demonneo said:
    But that was actually the reason Steven hinted in the Q&A discord session. That's why i made the previous comment. Because, of course, if there was other business reason besides that i would just simply state my disappointment and move on.
    And I'm pretty sure there was more than one reason he wouldn't let us know. Not because he wants to deceive us, but because it's business and you just can't talk about certain things in public ;)
    But that's okay. He did the best for the company/game which might even turn out to be the best for the community as well. Maybe not as it looks right now, but who knows - time will tell.
  • Options
    edited August 2018

Me too, but the issue may not be that simple. The GDPR law recently ratified by the EU may be a big part of the problem here.

From Forbes:

GDPR (General Data Protection Resolution) went into effect in the EU at midnight this morning (May 25) but has already impacted European and US-based Fortune 500 firms on the scale of over $9 billion, and has led many smaller firms and companies to shut down operations or fold entirely....
    ...These numbers are astronomical, and for data-based entrepreneurial startups, prohibitive. As CNN’s Ivana Kottasová reports “The cost of complying with the new law has already forced an online game producer, a small social network, and a mobile marketing firm to close key businesses or shut down entirely.”

This regulation will greatly impact data-driven businesses in Europe and across the Globe. The 28-state European Union is the world’s second-largest economy, an economy that companies with a digital presence can’t help but interact with. These are the companies that capture our interest as 30 Under 30 observers. As these startup founders grapple with the implications of the GDPR, many hesitate moving forward until they 1.  understand, and 2. can comply with these regulations in a cost-effective way....

....The GDPR has broad sweeping requirements that impact companies across the world. US Fortune 500 companies have put billions toward compliance – and in some cases that has not been enough to avoid lawsuit filings – while some smaller firms have closed operations or shut down entirely until they better understand the implications of these new regulations. The rising cost of doing business, stifling data-driven enterprises, and increasing the barriers to entry for entrepreneurship is the other side of the coin for these data-protection regulations.

The GDPR has made Europe a hostile environment for data-driven business (or any business that handles the provate information of its clients). It may very well be that Steven does not want to expose IS to extreme liability in the EU, and has to rely on a publisher to maneuver the legal minefield that the EU has become.

Hopefully we get a more complete explanation soon.

Edit:

• Options
    So this decision effects me hardly at all because NA, but it does make me pause a second and pour one out for my EU Homies.

I don't think you can accuratly just write off ALL the concerns. Sure, some are people reacting emotionally and overreacting, but there are valid concerns in there.

The most common I've found is that my.com's customer service and localization is terrible. This will literally be their job on Ashes.

OP seems to write this off by saying Intrepid will be working with them on this. Ok, but then why not just self publish then? It's pretty naive to expect that my.com won't be doing a huge majority of this work for EU. Intrepid isn't going to get involved in every single support ticket where Gary's subscription didn't renew or Dave's Embers don't show up.

Your entire argument is that "it will be different this time because of Intrepid."

But most of the upset people have been told or believed this before with other games, then watched as it was found to be so far from the truth. I can understand their skepticism. 

You dont assume a dog's not going to bite you this time if he's bitten you 3-4 times before simply because he's in a new yard.

So, don't just write off these concerns because "faith". That's how you get bit.

• Options
    edited August 2018
    Having played games run by mail.ru & their subsidiary my.com, I do not want to play another one under their charge.  Unless they suddenly do a 180 on their performance and attitude towards players it looks like I won't be touching this game as I don't think I can get a reasonable ping to the NA servers unless they stick one in Maine

In my experience , support is nearly non existent and you have play email tennis just to get to a human who in most cases does not know their arse from their elbow. Also you often cannot send files that are requested as they never bothered to increase the max file size limit when they made changes to their own game and the size of the files.

When it comes to monetization they make EA look saintly, and over all in game rewards are so bad to turn their games into complete grindfests that make KMMOs seem fast. All the most predatory practices are fair game to them oh and $1 = €1 to them because well just because.

Event running is good damn awful too with rewards not been given out for weeks after the event , bugs with counters , people not getting any rewards.  It got to a point where people had to screenshot everything and the running joke is not if there are issues with events but how many and how spectacular the fail will be.

And if you go to their forums have fun trying to find anyone who is not a volunteer to answer questions , address bugs  , suggestions etc etc the managers hired to do that do a great job of hiding.  They are cheap beyond belief and not really interested in investing in a products future.

I cannot understand the need to choose them, maybe for Russia as that's a cesspool of legislation best avoided but the EU ? Aside from a few privacy laws which if you follow good practice anyways you would fulfill  it's not signifcantly different and there are enough better EU based publishers who could do it.

• Options
    Could be that My com is the only European Puplisher that agreed to the conditions that Intrepid made of them concerning the game. Like keeping the creative contol. I do think that not many would agree to this.
  • Options
    Waysm said:

Dear Te

Sorry I have to write this...but you...and Steven are wearing pink glasses in this case.

I was able to experience it up close myself at the armored warfare game...how My.com deals with its partners.

At the beginning such promises were made as here now

Not quite 2 years " My.com urged its partner Obsidian....and took over the further development itself.

Afterwards the game went / goes steeply downhill

And that's how it's gonna happen here sooner or later.

I won't play this game with My.com here again....and applied for my refund at the support.

Whether this is approved...........let's see

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator

• Options
    I think one thing being over looked here is the real reason this decision was made. It was not malicious, it was not meant to sink the ship, it was entirely motivated by having the highest bottom line possible. 

Was the decision made without regard to reputation? Obviously, yes, My.com and mail.ru are one of the most reviled companies out there among gamers. But we must not misconstrue putting the bottom line before good will towards the game's backers as malicious. That would be silly.

The reality is that it would result in more money in the pockets of those who are the venture backing of the project than if they self published. Really that's the end of the story, more money mean decision made. If it would have been more profitable to self publish they would have.

The real problem as I see it is that the reputation of Intrepid has been damaged with those who are aware of how bad a company my.com is. My.com are simply just bad people who do bad things to wring as much money out of you as they can. They don't care about positive image. They don't care about having happy customers or good reviews. They just prey on the fact that if you want to play a game they publish then you have to pay them. In this day and age that means they have valuable information on you to sell to whomever they can. Sure there are laws in the EU that are supposed to protect you. Guess what my.com doesn't care. Its cheaper for them to pay any fines that they actually get forced to pay than it is to be above board and follow the rules. Most of the time they will just get away with. There isn't much you do to a bunch of crooks in Russia.
  • Options
    Karthos said:
     Ok, but then why not just self publish then?
    Rengrave said:
    I think one thing being over looked here is the real reason this decision was made. It was not malicious, it was not meant to sink the ship, it was entirely motivated by having the highest bottom line possible.

Scroll up a bit and read up on the impact the GDPR has had on companies operating in Europe. I believe the difficulties and risks presented by the GDPR are the most plausible explanation for why IS can not self publish in the region.
  • Options
    Anyway, I didn't make this post to defend my.com in anyway shape or form. In each of my statement I never said that they would deliver what Intrepid promised us but that whether it is the contract or the EU plethora of laws, they can't just bypass everything unscathed.

They are trash. Self-publishing is what we all hoped for, but people need to know how the world works and things can't be perfect every time.
  • Options
    mehh, well I still think that we EU players will have a hard and stressful time with my.com.
    Sure they said that they have turned away from their evil nature, but ... how should I put this...
    if you give a drogaddict some medical marijuana because he promised he won't use it... well, you can guess what will happen...
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    Trem said:
    mehh, well I still think that we EU players will have a hard and stressful time with my.com.
    Sure they said that they have turned away from their evil nature, but ... how should I put this...
    if you give a drogaddict some medical marijuana because he promised he won't use it... well, you can guess what will happen...

I don't believe in good and evil when it comes to businesses. I do, however, believe in greed and a lack of ethics.

Worst case scenario is that My.com is bullshitting IS in order to get their business. Best case scenario is that My.com has recognized that their previous business practices is a dead end and are set on making adjustments to a more sustainable (and therefore profitable over the long term) model.

Businesses thrive or die based on their reputation, and it is possible that someone in My.com's senior management caught a clue.

I'm not an idealist by any measure, so I hardly believe that My.com is ready for a full transformation of any sort. However, I am gratified to see that Steven is putting in the legwork to secure the service and quality that AoC deserves.

We'll see if his efforts get results. I wish him the best of luck in the meantime.
  • Options
    Nefelia said:
    Trem said:

I don't believe in good and evil when it comes to businesses. I do, however, believe in greed and a lack of ethics.

Worst case scenario is that My.com is bullshitting IS in order to get their business. Best case scenario is that My.com has recognized that their previous business practices is a dead end and are set on making adjustments to a more sustainable (and therefore profitable over the long term) model.

Businesses thrive or die based on their reputation, and it is possible that someone in My.com's senior management caught a clue.

I'm not an idealist by any measure, so I hardly believe that My.com is ready for a full transformation of any sort. However, I am gratified to see that Steven is putting in the legwork to secure the service and quality that AoC deserves.

We'll see if his efforts get results. I wish him the best of luck in the meantime.
    Pretty much, I'd say if they think that they can gain more profit following their previous practices then they would be out of business already, partnership with IS will allow them to reap greater profits in the long term instead of some short term profit and more bad rep.