Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Add-ons or not ? What kind of end-game can we expect.

Hey guys,
What's your opinion about addons for AoC ? Are you gonna open the game to addons dev or not? Are you a FF XIV type with no addons at all (forcing player who want a dps meter to use a third-party software) or like wow a full open options for dps meter, UI, boss mod ? Maybe just some of these options like only dps meter or only UI changes...

The customization is something important for some players :

- You can put the best UI in the world you never satisfy all the ppl, some of those are gonna hate the UI and have addons can help to keep them in game.

- Some ppl don't care at all about dps/heal meter, but if you've not that kind of thing you gonna loose some ppl.

- Same for boss mod, if you want a high level end-game is a huge requirement, without that you gonna lose the best player in the world.

I don't say these options are mandatory, a mmo can exist without all these options. I just wanna know what kind of game you want.
Knowing what addon are gonna exist or not can give us a first answer about the game direction you want for the end-game content.

Looking forward to hearing from you guys.

Yours Faithfully,
Naylo.

Comments

• Options
    Thank you for your input. They have decided to limit addons and player access to the API to better control botting and RMT. This has been their stance since the beginning of development, and while things change occasionally, their core concepts have not.
  • Options
    Plus, addons are lame and often intrude upon the UI.

No one has ever not played a game due to lack of add ons, fake news.

naylo said:
    .... without that you gonna lose the best player in the world.
    Lol, ok sure, but then they wouldn't be the best anymore would they? Or were they ever if they leaned on 3rd party bloatware?

ALSO, WoW sucks. Worst mmorpg ever (opinion, based off of experience).

-CS
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited August 2018
    When a game lives for 14 years can we objectively say that it is the worst of all? How many mmo's live that much ? I think that, despite all his faults, he managed to find a certain balance to ensure sustainability. If the goal of the exit of a game is to lose money and make a game for 5 people then yes you can do what you want but, if you want to make a lasting game, isn't it useful to keep some recipes of success? Not to copy, but analyze what mmo lasts for more than 7-8 years and see what are the keys of sustainability. Then just do a better job with better idea (like that superb node system).

Ashes have potential and can lasts for a decade but he can also last for 1-2 years...
    You can do the best mmo ever in terms of quality, if his population is low he's gonna die. A great part of MMO is about the population and if you didn't attract a large number of ppl (and keep them) it's gonna be like BDO, Tera, Aion and all these famous wow killer : Failure.

That's just an opinion based on observation of mmo's. We saw a lot of them, we saw a lot of "wow-killer", "hyper huge", "super hype", "he's gonna kill everything" but how many are still alive with a consequent population ? How many are alive with a good population for years ? I observe that and my opinion is only based on the success keys of the lasting mmo's nothing more, nothing less.

A game with a full closed API sounds like a bad idea for me, it looks bad for a competitive aspect of the game. I hope I'm wrong, and hope Ashes' gonna be awesome. Regardless I'm gonna give him a shot for sure. I was just asking my concerns about a competitive endgame. Now I know what I can expect. Just wait and see. 
  • Options
    Considering that addons often make the game feel very well, game-y I dont want them that badly, if I can have numbers on dps, healing, tanking etc etc. then it kind of loses the fun to a certain extent. It's like being able to identify every player and check out their equipment knowing what they roll and most of their abilities (based on what the gear is augmenting)
  • Options
    Wow is hardly the only mmo to still exist 14 years later. The other MMos you named are still around and can be played. In all cases I'm pretty sure it is considered the kiddy theme park version of all MMOs. It's easy, PvP is irrelevant, and looks like a Fing cartoon. I would pin its longevity to the immense advertising budget and the fact that Blizzard is running it and they are legit as it gets. Add ons have little and less to do with it lasting so long and it's really stretching it if you are attributing its success to add ons. If anything the need for them implies it wasnt good enough on own. Also with the game as easy as it is there isn't a big demand for bots, compared to other more competitive mmos. This makes the API not that big of a deal.

A game with a closed API looks like a more secure and well built game to me. How could it be less competitive? That makes no sense.

A nicely done combat log displaying dmg in real time is all the information you need. 

My advice, be more better and dont lean on 3rd party apps.
  • Options
    Steven said that theyre not sure about their view on addons yet but stated that they plan on creating ui that can be highly personalized.

I wouldnt mind it either way because I liked addons in wow.
    I can see how addons can take away from the original experience so it would be better if they were not required.

I also liked macros in wow but skills should be built on easy to use instead of macro to make it easy.
    Itd be more fair between those who liked em and those who didnt.
  • Options
    Although addons can be useful, hopefully there will be no need for them.

However, i was watching some gameplay videos on youtube, and i don't see any minimap or compass to serve directional purposes. Probably that will be fixed later on. Opening the map every 2 minutes to see where you're heading would be annoying  B)

On the other hand, allowing addons opens opportunity for people who know scripting,  to write their own addons, install it and use to their advantage. That..is not good.
  • Options
    Based on you title, it seems like there are two questions being asked.

Regarding third party add-ons, this option was not supported by Stevens comments in the past. Although, from memory, he was a little tentative on the topic. Unknowsystemerror correctly articulated their current position on the matter, as far as I understand it.

Regarding endgame. Steven and Jeff have reiterated several times that there is no "endgame" so to speak.

The concept of an "endgame" is very much the product of themepark games, it generally means rush through all the content, level to max and then raid ad infinitum, or something else to that effect.

AoC is a sandbox game with themepark elements. What this means is that we will be given the tools to create our own path and metagame from the very beginning, irrespective of our level. It is not required that we rush through all the content to hit some coveted "endgame" because - unlike a themepark game - there will be many ways in which a player can have fun (and be viable) from the very beginning, which also includes the option of not even having to fight to level up. You can be a sole trader in this game if you choose, the mechanics of this game will encourage these divergent playstyles.

Moral of the story, the concept of an endgame should be left in the dustbin of "modern" MMO history. Bring back the sandbox!
  • Options
    Draqonin said:

However, i was watching some gameplay videos on youtube, and i don't see any minimap or compass to serve directional purposes. Probably that will be fixed later on. Opening the map every 2 minutes to see where you're heading would be annoying  B)

On the other hand, allowing addons opens opportunity for people who know scripting,  to write their own addons, install it and use to their advantage. That..is not good.
    There are other videos where there is indeed a minimap and a compass. Some of them like the latest A1 combat video the UI is completely disabled. Why? Because when they show partial UI or things in progress the "community" gets out their pitchforks and torches. You can rest assured that the UI will be highly customizable and there will plenty of quality of life additions. They have said that the reason they won't need addons is because they will add needed functionality themselves. While many people want to use different addons for the purpose intended there is always that toxic percentage that use them to cheat, dupe, and other nefarious purposes.
  • Options
    Draqonin said:

There are other videos where there is indeed a minimap and a compass. Some of them like the latest A1 combat video the UI is completely disabled. Why? Because when they show partial UI or things in progress the "community" gets out their pitchforks and torches. You can rest assured that the UI will be highly customizable and there will plenty of quality of life additions. They have said that the reason they won't need addons is because they will add needed functionality themselves. While many people want to use different addons for the purpose intended there is always that toxic percentage that use them to cheat, dupe, and other nefarious purposes.
    oooh Niice! Well, then all sounds good and promising. And yes i totally agree with their point of view on addons. Thanks for the infos, good to know about all these aspects.
  • Options
    naylo said:

- Same for boss mod, if you want a high level end-game is a huge requirement, without that you gonna lose the best player in the world.
    This is an oxymoron.

Boss mod was made so players that are not the best can function in the same sphere as the best.

The best PvE players in MMO's don't play games that have such mods. Players that think they are the best - but are decidedly not - however, do play such games.

I am all for a parser being in the game in some form. But there is no need to open the API up to anything.