Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

My.com Is The Back-hole of a Garbage Truck

Of course Intrepid Studios own the rights to AoC, but given that a million people put on a blindfold and marched behind Steven, doing this, choosing My.com out of the hundreds of far more accomplished, far more beloved for what they've actually shown (rather than the green papers), puts a slight inclination in my head to think it's an ass-stab. Anyways, Intrepid owns AoC, Intrepid does as it wills. This is for those who defend the Intrepid team. 
My.com is a black hole. Anyone who says maybe they aren't that bad,  or could learn from their mistakes ought to understand: a black hole is there to swallow.  

Comments

• Options
    SethGure said:
    a million people put on a blindfold and marched behind Steven, doing this, choosing My.com out of the hundreds of far more accomplished, far more beloved
    Absolutely no one (in their right mind) defended that decision without at least realizing that it may have not been a smart move. The vast majority certainly didn't put on a blindfold. You should have checked the reactions before claiming so.
    Regarding the hundreds of alternatives. These just don't exist and of the few that really do it doesn't seem like they could've delivered what Intrepid was looking for (pre 2020 release, full creative control,...).
    So, we're already at the point where we gonna have to live with that decision. Of course repeating what has been stated many times over now is one way, but it probably won't change a thing as Steven is already aware of the community's concerns.
  • Options
    @c0ug4r Well said
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited August 2018
    Doubble post sorry.

• Options
    As I wrote before:
    Yes maybe Steven should be careful. For example, there is much potential, to hold a game down, low, back... bad support...slow it out.. etc. Who know`s why some things in the gaming branche happen..( In the end, it's about a lot of money ); better you guy`s look for an other publisher. Be wise. Look and study well where you sign! ...

Look at all the good games in past... and what happend to them and how....!!

The gaming industry is a shark tank Steven. Maybe they are "nice", but maybe they mean it other.
    Something is wrong in the game world anymore...
    and you don`t know, who they are working with in the back, so that a certain other game remains on the throne?? Possible?

It is to much happend in past, the gamer can`t understand no more.

• Options
    c0ug4r said:
    SethGure said:
    a million people put on a blindfold and marched behind Steven, doing this, choosing My.com out of the hundreds of far more accomplished, far more beloved
    Absolutely no one (in their right mind) defended that decision without at least realizing that it may have not been a smart move. The vast majority certainly didn't put on a blindfold. You should have checked the reactions before claiming so.
    Regarding the hundreds of alternatives. These just don't exist and of the few that really do it doesn't seem like they could've delivered what Intrepid was looking for (pre 2020 release, full creative control,...).
    So, we're already at the point where we gonna have to live with that decision. Of course repeating what has been stated many times over now is one way, but it probably won't change a thing as Steven is already aware of the community's concerns.
    Then it seems, we can only more watch, what will happen. 😢

• Options
    Yeah, cause a self-made multi-millionaire who started out in cutthroat MLM and then went into the so very easy California real estate business would have no clue how business is conducted or how to cover his ass. Seems like the master plan would be to leverage his own personal wealth and then just piss it all away to make a small minority of gamers happy would be the way to go. New data and privacy laws in the EU unfriendly to start-ups? Fuck it, let em eat cake.
  • Options
    New data and privacy laws in the EU unfriendly to start-ups? Fuck it, let em eat cake.

It amazes me that so few people are unaware of the GDPR and the havok this law has unleashed upon the European market.

I have no intention of defending My.com's honour, nor will I blindly champion all of Steven's decisions. However, given what I know of the European market, I will state my understanding of why Steven ultimately chose to partner up with My.com.

I would have much preferred to see a a global self-publish... but sometimes even the best plans and intentions fall short. I'm disappointed that Steven was unable to navigate the mess that is the EU's legislative regime, but will remain hopeful that he can hammer out a robust partnership with My.com that will give the European AoC players the service and security they deserve.
  • Options
    At this point people should approach this topic with a more level-headed approach, sure it's annoying but I highly doubt that my.com will fuck themselves over for some short term profit instead of long-term profit, it's business at the end of the day.
  • Options
    Nefelia said:
    New data and privacy laws in the EU unfriendly to start-ups? Fuck it, let em eat cake.

It amazes me that so few people are unaware of the GDPR and the havok this law has unleashed upon the European market.

Care to elaborate? After all, extraordinary claims should be always supported with extraordinary evidence, shouldn't they?

You bring up this GDPR claim in several threads, while there is no evidence what effect - if any - this has had on Intrepid's decision. Just for your information, other gaming companies (including US-based crowd-funded projects, such as Camelot Unchained) managed to do it very cleanly and fairly towards their backers and with considerably fewer staff working for them.

It is also more than clear you have very little understandings of the principles on which the GDPR is based and on the different categories of data operations and the responsibilities assigned to each by the regulation (i.e. there is a big difference between data controller (in this case Intrepid) and data processor (in this case My.com / Mail.ru and a publishing contract will not keep Intrepid out of GDPR's reach).

It is also clear that you enjoy using hyperbole and exaggeration to support your wild claims. There is no 'havok' going on in data protection in the EU, such claims are completely absurd. 

It amazes me how so many people with very little understanding of the topic continue to post such ridiculous claims. Just like all the doom sayers who built an entire industry on providing "bullet-proof GDPR advice" two months before its entry into force - which was usually nothing more than unsubstantiated scare tactic or outright lies designed to squeeze as much money as possible out of gullible companies.

It's a bit like the prophets scene in Life of Brian...
  • Options
    At this point people should approach this topic with a more level-headed approach, sure it's annoying but I highly doubt that my.com will fuck themselves over for some short term profit instead of long-term profit, it's business at the end of the day.
    I have to agree all we can do now is wait. if my.com is as bad as we think it is then steven and us are the ones who pay the price if not we have a great game.