Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

GDPR vs Self-Publishing

Some people seem to misunderstand what GDPR is. They think that because of that Law, IS can't publish in the EU.
Well I think that is BS.
GDPR is a law that is created for the users protection, for you and me. Many ppl say that there are a bunch of companies, that have lawsuit against them because they did not passed this law. Well guess what... these companies probably gave out your information to third party companies.
I don't think IS is not selfpublishing because of this law, unless they have planned the same... which shouldn't be the case.
The question is, why do they want to partner up with my.com/mail.ru. I think, this company has never passed this law, and I don't think they ever will.

You can read abut GDPR here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Data_Protection_Regulation

Comments

• Options
    It is good to have opinions.
  • Options
    @Trem
    Wait... if they haven't ever passed how are they even still around?
    The lawsuits would of taken them out of business in the EU by now right?
    I know it still looks bad to have an association but does this mean they have the necessary measures in place to protect the privacy and comply with the GDPR after all?
    (I'm in OCE but i still don't trust them).
  • Options
    CobraKing said:
    @Trem
    I know it still looks bad to have an association but does this mean they have the necessary measures in place to protect the privacy and comply with the GDPR after all?
    Oh, you got me there, since 2018 May 25 they probably really didn't had any issues. And if they didn't had any issues in  3 Months, than they never will...
    Well sarcasm aside, I am not a lawyer, but for me it is not really reassuring, that their mother company is a Russian company who is not really bound by the GDPR.
    So I guess we'll see.
    Still it would really be reassuring to get some Info from @GMS@GMSteven what they are planing to do, if everything goes to hell.

• Options
    Soon enough we will be getting some sort of conspiracy theories about this whole thing.
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited August 2018
    CobraKing said:
    @Trem
    As long as My.com / Mail.ru operate in Russia and have no business presence in the EU, you are essentially giving them your personal data at your own risk, with no protection normally available to you under the GDPR.

It should be also kept in mind that Russia is currently not part of the GDPR adequacy system (which essentially guarantees equivalent level of protection in participating countries outside the EU). For the moment only the countries listed here are: https://ec.europa.eu/info/law/law-topic/data-protection/data-transfers-outside-eu/adequacy-protection-personal-data-non-eu-countries_en
  • Options
    CobraKing said:
    @Trem
    Eh, my comment disappeared for some weird reason...

Anyway - as long as My.com / Mail.ru operate from Russia and have no business presence in the EU, you are giving them your personal data at your own risk, with no protection normally available to you under the GDPR.

It should be also kept in mind that Russia is currently not part of the GDPR adequacy system (which essentially guarantees equivalent levels of protection in participating countries outside the EU) - for now only countries in this list are:

https://ec.europa.eu/info/law/law-topic/data-protection/data-transfers-outside-eu/adequacy-protection-personal-data-non-eu-countries_en
  • Options
    @BrotherMaynard

Riiiigghhhttt this makes more sense now... My apologies, but good to know.

I will still hold onto a previous comment I made earlier in another thread that if they can find a way out of this contract with this publisher and wish to self publish or find someone else;

CobraKing said:
    I WOULD BE ALL FOR THE RELEASE BEING POSTPONED IN EU IF AND ONLY IF A VAST MAJORITY (Like 80%+ of the the EU community agree that they wouldn't mind the delay... which could be a long time).
  • Options
    GDPR is not the only reason that IS has choosen a publisher.
    Other reasons include that a "local" publisher include a localozation service, as well as having existing infrastructure for deployment.

There's always a way to do that yourself by self-publishing, but... yeah ^^
  • Options
    Lets be honest, we don't really know why they aren't self-publishing in the EU, and may never fully know. Like every business deal, there are things they'd be happy for the consumer to know and probably things they wouldn't be comfortable with the consumer knowing.
  • Options
    GDPR has nothing to do with this.

All they have to do is inform their customers how and for what their information will be used, and the customer has to either accept or decline the use of private data.
    If IS wants to publish in EU, that is all they have to do. Add a checkbox and some text during account creation 
  • Options
    I think if GDPR has anything to do with the decision Steven would have mentioned it already. The fact that he has not just tells me it was not in consideration or it was a very small part of the consideration.