Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Server in US, with EU timezone maybe?

With the news of my.com as publisher my hype died, obviously. The stupid data laws making it too difficult to self-publish there..
But would it be possible with a server on the east cost, for EU, with timezone made for CEST? 
I got no idea about the legal ramifications.. I'm just saying I'd be way more interested in that.

Of course ping is always an issue. But honestly.. with MY.com as publisher, I'm pretty sure, a quality network+server on the east coast, can be pretty close to the same ping. Ashes will get a way lower playerbase in EU because of the choice. This could save some.

Comments

• ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited August 2018
    Steven said no. However, the latest word is that there will be an Intrepid launcher, you don't need to have a my.com account to play and you can even choose to make payments to IS instead of my.com... The whole issue doesn't sound too bad anymore tbh.
  • Berinima said:
    Steven said no. However, the latest word is that there will be an Intrepid launcher, you don't need to have a my.com account to play and you can even choose to make payments to IS instead of my.com... The whole issue doesn't sound too bad anymore tbh.
    Ok that is less worrysome then, if MY has no control over account/payment then. 
  • Berinima said:
    When/where have you heard that? Not that I don't trust you, just interested to know, cause that's a massive detail.

If interactions with My.com is minimal and EU players don't feel separate to the NA playerbase and developers, then together with IS's apparently strict contract agreements, it might not be the end of the world. Will never like it, but might not be a game breaker then.
  • atiqa said:
    Berinima said:
    When/where have you heard that? Not that I don't trust you, just interested to know, cause that's a massive detail.

If interactions with My.com is minimal and EU players don't feel separate to the NA playerbase and developers, then together with IS's apparently strict contract agreements, it might not be the end of the world. Will never like it, but might not be a game breaker then.
    On the official discord. Most statements from Steven are pinned to the #ashes_discussion channel (no IP block, launcher and updates from Intrepid), the rest can be found if you search for Steven's latest posts with the search interface.
  • Well for now it's possibilities nothing 100%, let's hope it wont be so bad that EU players will have to migrate over to NA.
  • Yeah I read that too, which means GDPR was not the issue with self publishing. It's great news if that's what the statement meant. I'm holding off until tomorrow (Monday) when we will get a more updated statement from Steven and my.com
  • Fellow players from Europe, just remember, even if latency isn't bad in an NA server, time differences can become a huge problem in the long run, unless there's a dedicated server with EU time zones.
  • You've got a year before release. Create a guild and recruit European players who wish to play in NA.

You'll be a bit out of sync with the bulk of the NA players, but at least the members of your guild will all share a prime-time window. That might work into your favour for assaults, and against your favour for defense.
  • ^ This 100%
    If you are raiding a NA guild's castle at 4-5:00am NA-Time then you will likely have an advantage. However, when they try to take it back the advantage would be with them.

Player opened shops could also be an issue if player-merchants aren't manning their own stores (there is some NPC-type system for manning shops while away though).

If your guild isn't super active after a few months you could end up having trouble finding 7-19 other players to do a raid with.

In the end, I hope the My.com thing works out and EU players have the same experience we do in NA. If that doesn't work out then I would happily invite the EU players to the NA servers.