Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

What about people that dont have that much time to spend on this game?

Hi there, just wondering, maybe it was already discussed, but what about people that can not spend that much time in game.. are we going to be in any way disadvantaged? 

Comments

• Options
    Yes
  • Options
    I should imagine like with most MMOs, those who can put in more time will get more out of the game. But that isn't to say there won't be a place for all types of players in AoC e.g. casual, semi-hardcore, hardcore.
  • Options
    In some ways, you will be as that's just how MMOs work, but as ashes is ever-changing, I don't see it as a huge problem. Ashes will not be a grind fest like BDO but the more work you put into the game, the better the results still in the end Skill will beat play time.
  • Options
    This would be a time for Captain Obvious. 
  • Options
    Sintu said:
    This would be a time for Captain Obvious. 

• Options
    I face palmed so hard that I now have a black eye. This question is such an obvious one it should never be asked again (most likely will be though). If you work more, then you get rewarded more. WELCOME TO LIFE!
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited August 2018
    A well-designed MMO will be set up so that a casual player can experience at least most of the content, although it might take them longer to advance and gain accomplishments than someone who can play frequently and/or for long periods of time.

If there is some content, such as a raid, that requires hours of contiguous time to complete, that’s okay.  What’s not okay is if you’re gated out of a significant amount of content if you can’t sit for hours at a time.
  • Options
    You should still be able to complete everything and obtain all you need. It is just going to take longer. You might miss out on certain world events but you will just need to adjust your calendar if you can. If you join a good casual guild that has people in a similar situation you should be able to get things done quicker between you :smile:
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    @Kar , due to the SandBox Elements .. i don't think they'll ever be an end to Ashes of Creation.

... Ashes of Creation is depicted like a SandBox-&-ThemePark Hybrid . And SandBox games don't really have an end.
  • Options
    My biggest concern is about nodes.. Am i going to be able actually ''Buy or rent'' a place in there.. I am not sure how this will work as i did not make that much research :)
  • Options
    @Kar Apartment Instance-Housing will be determined by the Guild Hall(s) and the Node Leader. I think taxes will be a thing https://youtu.be/STUmnHRKqNc?t=6m53s
  • Options
    @Kar This video is a great and up to date summary for the housing in Ashes:

• Options
    edited August 2018
    c0ug4r said:
    @Kar This video is a great and up to date summary for the housing in Ashes:

You know your work is doing well when other people are sharing it.

You have put a big smile on my face.

Eragale said:
    @Kar Apartment Instance-Housing will be determined by the Guild Hall(s) and the Node Leader. I think taxes will be a thing https://youtu.be/STUmnHRKqNc?t=6m53s 

Don't think Guild Halls have anything to do with Apartments, unless you know something I don't.

Apartments are determined by the Node Leader if they allow them by investing resources into the actual building.

Some nodes may not.  If their guild members have bought up in the node housing and dropped a lot of freeholds, they may not open up citizenship options to outsiders via the instanced apartments.   

• Options
    Kar said:
    Hi there, just wondering, maybe it was already discussed, but what about people that can not spend that much time in game.. are we going to be in any way disadvantaged? 
    of course, we will be at a disadvantage, dedication and game time will be rewarded. Even though, there will probably be diminishing returns on the time spent, someone that plays more will  and should get more out of the game
  • Options
    You will have a great time as long as you’re ok not being th first to everything or the best at anything. A lot of times, MMOs are a marathon anyways instead of a sprint. The people who race to the finish fastest often get burned out whereas someone like you will be angle to appreciate everything along the way without being burned out.
  • Options
    @Jahlon , yeah ... thats why i said " to be determined " ...

But if you actually think one Guild is going to own an entire Node + all its services ...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuL6cJPz3Nk
  • Options
    There's also the mention of being able to do some remote management of sorts via a mobile device post-release of the game. I'm sure to take advantage of that feature while I'm at work, out running errands, or simply not at my PC. Even if I can't put in the 70+ hour weeks unemployed hardcore players might be able to achieve, I still plan on occupying my time with as much AoC as possible without detracting from my daily life. 

Any shortcomings you may befall due to not playing as much as others can hopefully in part be made up for by playing the mobile app companion. 
  • Options
    Lessee...we could do a bit of hypothetical math.

10,000 people on a server.

5 metropolis nodes

Assuming half the server is in one of these nodes..the rest either nodeless, or in smaller nodes.....gives 5000 people.

even split:  1000 people per node.

Largest guild size 300

If only half the node population actually cares about politics...and the rest just park their stuff there....then you have about 500 people.

A dedicated guild could probably muster about 2/3rds of their population to vote, or care about politics...which means a large dedicated guild is pretty close to being able to own a metropolis with 200 people...almost half of the caring population.
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    LiquidSky said:
    " ... Assuming half the server is in one of these nodes ... "
    Not possible.
    More People = Higher Taxes.
    Inevitably , a Node has limited slots in how many players can be granted citizenship. Meaning many players won't have citizenship ... ( or at least not all of the masses in 1 Node )
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    Another catch would be if only one guild was trying to control a metropolis they would likely have to spend a lot of time gathering resources for the metropolis. I find it plausible from stages 1-3 of a node that a guild might reign supreme, but beyond that I think population + needed resources will take some of that power away.

In a Scientific node the guild that can muster 51% or more of all votes would have an advantage in electing officials, but I don't see that happening. In other nodes if the leader is in a guild, and only listens to guild mates, there could be enough migration to de-level the metropolis through atrophy.

I would like to know if all alts can vote, or if its 1 vote / account / citizenship.
    *I think I read alt-citizenship is locked so all alts have same citizenship.

EDIT: on topic...
    I generally only play for 3-6 hours a week, so I assume I will fall behind a lot of other players. There will be vacations/holidays/bad-weather days that could allow me to really put in the time to get somewhat caught up. If you choose to invest the time into this game then you should feel like you are a bigger part of the world than I am, it is an investment.