Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Anyone else worried about how flashy armour looks?

Hey, I was just looking at the most recent Ashes live stream and they showed some starting gear that looked pretty advanced. I feel like everyone's going to start out looking like royals with fancy armour from the get go. Anyone know if there will be more normal things like plain robes and regular clothes? Not armour with a ton of crazy designs(cool designs just not what until the higher levels)? Thanks

Comments

• Options
    I think they were just showing off some of the armour.
  • Options
    I think that's high level armor. I mean sieges are high level content, so I think it makes sense to showcase them with high level gear.
  • Options
    Same as what others have said. I think its just showcased high level armor for Video and presentation purposes

No one should expect to look like royalty with begginer gear

I mean unless you got the Royalty costume of course 😂
  • Options
    Unless I'm mistaken, on the last live stream, Steven said that new players would start the game with "nice looking" starter gear.  Not the usual drab tee shirt, pantaloons, and boots fare.  That said, I don't think the gear we've seen is starter gear, though.  Probably mid to high gear. 

I understand peoples concerns, because the early footage shows all character models looking the same, and wearing the same gear.  Emphasis on the EARLY.  Gear, and toons, will definitely have more variety when the game launches. 

So, nope, not worried.
  • Options
    What @freespiryt said. they actually said that the leather appearance armour in the video was basic armour.  The outrageous ornate plate etc in just pictures was tier 3-4 if i remember correctly. they have also said there will be a Appearance tab so if you want to dress down you will be able to.
  • Options
    Aight, thanks.
  • Options
    I am really hoping for a separate appearance Paper doll so we can dress how ever we like. Any assumptions people make based on what the enemy is wearing could be a detriment if you guess wrong. Maybe slow down combat slightly so you have to figure out you enemies class and abilities before you formulate your winning strategy.
  • Options
    I don't think they are showcasing the starter gear, it's prob a costume or something like that.
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited September 2018
    Remember your character is not a scrub off the street. Your one of the people choosen for the return expedition so you must be a pretty special snowflake from Sanctus :3 I'd be concerned if you were wearing a scabby t-shirt and cloth trousers...
    I mean who knows what's beyond the portal? 
  • Options
    I havent seen an armor in the latest video. They are nice robes but not armors.
  • Options
    I havent seen an armor in the latest video. They are nice robes but not armors.
    magic. the answer is always magic
  • Options
    There is going to be a shit tonne of armour and clothing styles. Guaranteed. Why? Because it is a sandbox game where crafting and economics is a huge deal AND we also have a cosmetics cash shop. The latter fact, at the very least, will guarantee a huge amount of different styles. Steven has also said that he will not limit stuff to just cash shop, so you will be able to find cool clothing in-game too.

If these words don't convince you, then maybe some of the previous cosmetic cash shop items will?

Colonist Costume from Summer Kickstarter pledge

Peddler Costume from Summer Kickstarter pledge

Find plenty more examples of items that we have been able to procure in the past here -

• Options
    Hmmm I've watched the Pax panel a couple of times and Steven said that was starting armor and that you are already a hero from your old world when you start.  I am sure there will be many options for simpler designs from crafting to drops and cash store.  Some of the monthly offerings have been pretty basic in some areas.
  • Options
    I like that the armor isn't going to be boring, I would rather have flashier more detailed armor skins than drab, boring, generic, uncreative armor skins. 
  • Options
    Not a fan of it that much but it won't be the only set in game :3
  • Options
    There will be TONS of customization options, and different sets.. I would not worry about this at this stage of the development tbh. 
  • Options
    I like where the game is headed and the idea we are already heroic coming thru the gate. Take EQ2 by comparison, you look like you've been stuck at sea for years without a copper to your name. I know this is what they were going for... but it will be nice to enter a game without looking like a penniless hobo..