Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Naval Arena (PvP and Horde Mode)

Given that the infrastructure is already in place to make instanced arenas, horde mode, and a suite of naval skills are forthcoming, how viable/desirable would things such as ship combat on a fleet scale be for activities such as horde mode or fleet vs fleet combat against either AI or other players?

Comments

• I really enjoyed the Naval combat in Archeage although once boarding tactics evolved it did detract from the actual ship combat. Very interested to see how Intrepid develop this part of the game. Instanced arena modes sounds fun!
  • Ship-to-ship combat exists or at least will exist before launch, but as of right now, I don't see instanced naval combat in fleet vs fleet format happening by the time the game is released. It would be nice, sure. Perhaps even add the addition of sieging coastal cities with a fleet landing. 
  • The idea of city sieges by boat feels more inherently open world by nature. I was more proposing the fleet arena notion as something of a contemporary to the ideas put forth in todays PAX Panel. Fleet v Fleet and Fleet v Horde both feel like strong streaming concepts just as BR and traditional Hordes do.
  • Having a Naval Arena just like in Archeage seems a good way to practice being a captain. It would be nice tho I highly doubt they will add something like that before launch.
  • This does definitely sound like a pretty awesome idea!  It would be a nice pick-up-and-go method of getting into sea combat without having to worry about the costs of repairing a ship (assuming that's a thing, of course!).
  • would also help test the mechanics of any naval system implementations.

• I think sea combat is in alpha 2
  • Naval Arena wasnt that great in AA. but i will give you this. would be a nice trait to have in this already great looking game
  • Lythawan said:
    Given that the infrastructure is already in place to make instanced arenas, horde mode, and a suite of naval skills are forthcoming, how viable/desirable would things such as ship combat on a fleet scale be for activities such as horde mode or fleet vs fleet combat against either AI or other players?
    I think ArcheAge's "Abyssal Kraken"  is a Benchmark solution for what you are looking for.  It was a server wide event that happend 2 or 3 times a week and involved a Kraken spawning on this tower in the middle of the ocean and the little island it was on was surrounded by a raging storm with tornados that could pick up your ship and fling it high in the air. 

The entire server would kill the Kraken then battle for control of the island in it's center in order to "Channel" it in order to spawn these crystals which yielded very high Gold valued trade packs.  The opposing faction could interrupt the channel by destroying any 1 of 3 crystals located on surrounding islands.  

It was probably the best Server wide Event I've seen as it Combined a World boss PVE raid with End game level money making all fueling amazing, dynamic open world PvP with pretty damn good naval mechanics.  

By far my favorite world event in any MMO.  

We need something like THAT in AoC