Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Roads & Path Generation

I think one of the best ways to make each server feel like a different place would be to have the majority of roads & paths generate based on where players are walking. The more players walk a path, the more it develops. (Trail > Path > Road) 

On launch day, there are no roads. People venture out into the wilderness.

After a few weeks or so, some small trails and paths are cut into the wilderness where players have been walking to do quests, dungeons, and between trading freeholds.

As time goes on the roads are upgraded. They get wider and more developed as more people use them. Once the path reaches "Road" status, maybe the city ruling the node can vote on options for the roads(but not paths or trails). They'd spend tax money to upgrade the surrounding areas roads. Better roads could provide light in the nighttime or movement speed increase. They could have guards posted once every few KM if you are a military node. Economic nodes could upgrade their paths to have benches and fancy flowers or marble paths. 

Roads could also fade away into paths, trails, and then wilderness again if no one is using it. Lets say there's a path behind a freehold that goes back to a copper mine, but the copper runs out and the path goes unused. The wilderness claims it back over time.

Exceptions to this would be the roads and paths associated with certain already existing elements in the world. If there's a quest that leads to a witches hut in the backwoods, you could set it so the area around the witches hut doesn't develop paths as players go to find the witch.

The system would have to be balanced in a way where the major roads would take a long time to fade to paths, and trails would fade within a few days. Buildings would probably need a ruleset where they could be built over trails and paths, but not roads(unless it's a certain type of building like a gate where it requires a road).

I'm fairly certain this was available as a plugin in Minecraft, and I absolutely loved the heck out of it. Seeing my path to my little farm and mineshaft develop over time really immersed me and I've never forgotten it.

Comments

• Options
    They have already stated that road and path generation depends on node level and trade routes established. Level 0 nodes have almost no pathing beyond what animals may have made, while the connections between a level 6 node and neighboring level 5 will be built up paved affairs.
  • Options
    while the connections between a level 6 node and neighboring level 5 will be built up paved affairs.
    (except that having a level 6 node will cap the surrounding nodes at level 3, but yeah)
  • Options
    1pwny said:
    while the connections between a level 6 node and neighboring level 5 will be built up paved affairs.
    (except that having a level 6 node will cap the surrounding nodes at level 3, but yeah)
    Uh?  What?

A level 6 node doesn't cap the surrounding nodes at 3?

Unless something came out while I was away.  A level 6 node prevents the growth of neighboring nodes to level 6, but they can still grow to 5.   
  • Options
    1pwny said:

FileNodeLockoutspng

Maybe you are saying that because of this image??
    The node in the center is level 4, not 6. It fooled me once too XD
  • Options
    They have already stated that road and path generation depends on node level and trade routes established. Level 0 nodes have almost no pathing beyond what animals may have made, while the connections between a level 6 node and neighboring level 5 will be built up paved affairs.
    I don't think that system and my system are mutually exclusive.
  • Options
    I'm not sure I got this right, but to our current knowledge roads would only develope from node to node, right? There's no plan as of yet to build roads inside a Node, for example to a popular freehold with an amazing tavern or a big guild's castle.

Should that be the case, the idea above is really inspiring. The more popular your freehold or guildhall becomes, the better quality your road develops until a certain point. And to get the best kind of road, one would have to petition to your node's mayor.

I would love to this mechanic in Ashes!