Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Animal Husbandry: Breeding Intellectual Property?

Given the recent videos, it seems that there will be a fair amount of customization for each animal.  If so, then will other animal husbandry professionals be able to buy your mount and then rip off the customized design that you have made?  Or will the mounts that you sell not be breedable?  Or maybe having a regular mount not be able to be bread, but also have an option to sell as a "Pure breed" or something to other breeders for a higher price and have that version be breedable?

Comments

• Options
    Ooh, maybe they'll put in a "neuter" option. That's a thematic and simple way to take care of this kind of thing.
  • Options
    Ouch! You can copy other people's designs but you have to figure out how they made them. If I make a lion with ram horns you can see that it's a lion with ram horns but seeing it doesn't tell you how I made it.  Maybe Ram + Lion isn't the recipe.  Or maybe it is the recipe. On the simple designs you might be able to guess but on the animals with 4 different things in the recipe, nope. 

If you buy two of the same kind and breed them will you get a baby of the same kind? I guess so. That might be a problem. If I make a Bat Panther and it's a master level creature, you can just buy two and breed them without being a master. So I think they need to make it where you can only breed things of your own level. Even then tho, you will have two masters stealing each others designs and tempers will flare. Hmm... good questions. Dunno.
  • Options

All jokes aside I agree @sunfrog You should be able to copy other people`s design but you need to figure how to do it and have requirements to do it what ever they are food, right animals, right homestead upgrades (?) high enough skill or what ever the things needed for breeding are in Ashes
  • Options
    Now I want to make a blue hedgehog.  :D
  • Options
    sunfrog said:

• Options
    Swtor had a similar system with mods and attachment crafting. You could get the latest FOTM drop and take a really small chance on deconstructing it to get the ability to craft it. If you were the first person to do so, you made bank. The problem was trying to keep the price high enough, so the guy that bought it from you wasn't going to risk DE'ing it and undercut your market. Usually worked for a couple weeks, then like anything else, the market would get flooded. With markets being local in Ashes, we might see less of an impact if they go with a similar system on learning recipes through decon.
  • Options
    What I loved about SWG is that not all crafted items were the same.  Some crafters were better than others and some people got reputations.  I remember one guy on my server got famous for his rifles and buying a rifle from him was a thing of prestige.  It’s not that you had a T-21 blaster, but you had a T-21 blaster from so-and-so and he always managed to get better stats because he had the best materials and knew what he was doing.

It would be great if Ashes could pull off something like that.  It really helped make the community special.
  • Options
    nagash said:
    sunfrog said:

Nagash and all his pets are going to be bleach white bones, lots of customization there no doubt :3
  • Options
    nagash said:
    sunfrog said:

Nagash and all his pets are going to be bleach white bones, lots of customization there no doubt :3
    Oh you could do so much ^^
  • Options
    nagash said:
    nagash said:
    sunfrog said:

Oh you could do so much ^^
    You can change the size, the animal type and... the size... and... stuff.
    Yeah, so much