Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Verra Apocalypse

With regards to the lore of the world of Verra, what with how the world was destroyed by some cataclysm thousands of years ago, will the cataclysm reoccur within our own game? Does anybody know if this has been confirmed to be an event or has been speculated yet? I remember hearing discussion from Jeff with regards to an end state/finale for an MMO world/server, but I'm unsure if that was related to Ashes. This could maybe serve as a way to reset the world back to a frontier state like it will be when the game launches. Maybe the players could fight back and overcome the apocalypse, or fail and have the cycle of Verra's destruction repeat itself. What do you guys think of this concept?

Comments

• Options
    I like it but it's too soon. You can't destroy Verra on day one. lol. 
    When we arrive we'll need to set free or kill the old gods. What if that behavior is what got us kicked off the planet in the first place? Are we doomed to repeat the mistakes of the past? 
  • Options
    What little is known is that there was a battle between "good" gods and "bad" gods. As the good gods were routed they decided the only way to save their worshipers was to send them somewhere far away where magic didn't work. Thus the portals to Sanctus. The Tulnar are those that didn't make it to the portals in time and fled underground to avoid the effect of the bad gods. The bad gods caused corruption to envelop Verra, twisting and warping races like the avians that stayed behind and didn't flee deep underground. Over the course of 10k years the effects of corruption slowly ebbed, the good gods decided it was time to try and take Verra back, and activated the portals to Sanctus, this is where you come in. Answering the call of your god to retake Verra and establish a new order on the homeworld. Remember, gods in Ashes are real and have an impact on their worshipers. None of this magic, invisible, fickle entity that ignores your pleas. These gods got ass whuppin on the mind, and they bringin friends.
  • Options
    Little early to theorize about end/finale/reset events but that never stopped me before, I for one welcome the end times and cant help but to wait to team with nagash and the bois to throw warp gods where they belong to.

Bonus points tho if during the end you can worship the "bad" gods (or maybe secret religion ever earlier unlocked to those who gain a lot of corruption?)
  • Options
    I think this is an awesome idea for players who don't have the time to invest into the game as it launches, or for those who come in later. The node system allows for what seems to be a one time opportunity, so a soft reset that effects everyone could be fun. It would be cool to have a chance of surviving if everyone works together, or fail and lose everything, repeating the cycle of destruction of Verra.
  • Options
    Not a great idea, In my opinion.

MMO's are supposed to be about progression months at a time at the very LEAST. They already stated that people that play more will obviously get more out of the game. So just erasing everything for just you and few others at the expense of everyone else is pretty shitty.

Thats just common sense (well lets just call it sense now) 

But you don't have to worry about being left behind. There will be catch up mechanics and more than enough content to do for everyone with multiple different progression paths besides 1-2 obvious routes.

They stated that ashes wont be an elitist type of game in that sense. So max gear cap for at least a year or more easy and plenty of ways to get there 👍🏻
  • Options
    If you want world wipes there is Crowfall and that other viking one in testing right now.
  • Options
    Please I have seen the ends time to many times i dont want to see it in Verra as well
  • Options
    I'll confess I was playing with magic and dropped some massive meteorites onto the surface, there may have been a few wild dragons and phoenixes raging around due to that too, well I wont cause another disaster :)
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited September 2018
    This is the last game to need a server wipe.  Nodes rise and fall, the landscape is constantly in flux, places are found and lost.  It’s a world that’s continually being created and destroyed simultaneously.  Why would you need an apocalypse when you pretty much have a never-ending, slow-moving one already?