Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Solo vs Guild

Looking at most of what AoC has offered in terms of information about the game, I couldn't find anything about the solo player and how he'll work in the game. Now Steven even said something along the lines of "You can still be a solo player but to have access to most of the cool stuff, you'll have to be in a guild." Now in the MMO's that I've played, typically you're put at a disadvantage, or there are certain cons with being a solo player, but you're never forced. I'm just wondering if there is any insight the AoC community can bring me?

Comments

• Options
    Hey @Dphantomtv here are some some quotes relating to soloing I found hope it helps you out.

"Always focus on micro/macro, want to make sure that solo players have a good experience/role. Doesn’t mean they can ignore other people, but nothing should be locked behind guilds."

"Playing an MMORPG means you are part of a community anyway.
    Macro systems that include solo players anyway, whether they want to or not, like the Node XP system, or working on buildings, or doing raids/dungeons and stuff. Doesn’t rely on guild membership. Can be a solo player by taking part in those activities."

"Motivations differ between players, solo players just want to go out and do things? They are still affecting other players gameplay experience. Important to include them."

"There will be ultra rare drop items in areas that are solo centric. You just want to vedge out and go to a zone and smack away on monsters. If there is no opportunity for rare reward, then you feel like your doing it for nothing, and that’s not fun. If there's an opportunity for ultra rare item or mega sack of loot, then that gives them a tunnel of light."
  • Options
    Solo players will need to look for random groups and join them all over the map.

I am certain that without a group you wont beat stronger mobs in order to get sufficiend XP

In addition in order to get your hands on craftable matterial you will need to access difficult zones with a group. Without profits it's hard to advance.
    Open world mmorpgs cannot be played solo past the easy levels.
    Themepark mmorpgs can be played 100% solo as well as in a guild.

• Options
    I don't think it has been confirmed that at some point a solo player will need a group to hunt mobs with for XP purposes.

I also don't know if "craftable material" will be restricted to difficult zones, that doesn't sound right. Maybe rare material drops would be, but materials have random spawns and I have not heard any confirmation that based on the materials rarity the corresponding mobs will be chosen.

Hopefully Ashes will be different enough to allow the solo players to do their thing all the way through. As Steven is quoted for saying "You can still be a solo player..." as for "cool stuff" I hope he means the siege, caravan, and castle mechanics.
  • Options
    Azathoth said:
    I don't think it has been confirmed that at some point a solo player will need a group to hunt mobs with for XP purposes.

I also don't know if "craftable material" will be restricted to difficult zones, that doesn't sound right. Maybe rare material drops would be, but materials have random spawns and I have not heard any confirmation that based on the materials rarity the corresponding mobs will be chosen.

Hopefully Ashes will be different enough to allow the solo players to do their thing all the way through. As Steven is quoted for saying "You can still be a solo player..." as for "cool stuff" I hope he means the siege, caravan, and castle mechanics.
    I just wanna point out that there is nothing different than the rest mmorpgs if the game is designed for solo friendly experience.
  • Options
    Thanks for the insight guys! Much appreciated ^^

• Options
    Like most mmo's you will probably need to be in a group to make life easier for yourself, for any solo players there are guilds dedicated towards solo players that are literally just a gathering hub to find people to help you out.
  • Options
    It was a clear statement made, that playing solo will be possible, though you probably wont have the same opportunities as others. Like certain achievements etc. I think that works the same with every other system in the game. Just like playing less than other players, you will simply have a slower progression. You may not explore the same content or find the items you need on your own, cause you will be very limitted in your actions and be more reliant on other people.

Though its still up to you if you wanna go solo in an M(assive)M(ultiplayer)ORPG,
    but its not designed to hand you same opportunities as Team-Players, since the Game/Mechanics are designed for community interaction. So dont expect to be put on the same levels or get special perks for playing solo.
  • Options
    Played MMORPG solo for while and my tip to people who are going to attempt is do not cut off yourself from community and literally try to do everything alone.  Greatest joy of being solo is to be able to meet tons of fun people (ironically enough) while not being tied down responsibility and time wise to one guild which enables you to befriend tons of people and after while you wont have problems getting into good parties.
  • Options
    Yes, I believe going solo is mainly for people that don't have the time to commit being in a guild. And yes there are less needy guilds, however, most people that don't have time want to go through the hassle of being in a guild. So I agree with your statement @Sonicfani
  • Options
    There are two kinds of solo players: those who start playing and don't know anybody and those who are just looking for single player experience. Game should make it profitable to cooperate even with new and casual players so everyone could feel needed. If solo player was able to do all content alone, those who want play with others would have problem with finding group. I like RPG games, where every class is diffrent and must cooperate with others.
  • Options
    There is a third option....citizen.
    You can be a solo player and remain a citizen of a node.
    You dont have to join a guild.
  • Options
    What is the main benefit of joining a guild in this game?  My experience has been that most guilds have few players on at the same time after a month or so. 
    Perhaps there could be a more dynamic way of encouraging grouping for folks that are signed on and actually playing the game.   Perhaps there could be guilds forming and disbanding in one playing session?   They could be thought of as mercenary guilds.
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited September 2018
    What is the main benefit of joining a guild in this game?
    Without the obvious benefits of active group of people who help themselves if all as its supposed to be guild can opt to give you buffs or go for larger size. Apparently there is alliance specific gear and quest lines from what I read on wiki but didn't listen to the source.

EDIT: Oh yeah forgot there was thing called tavern of ashes set up dont know much about it but this is how they describe themselves

"Well, basically the idea is to make a board for the people who will be entering the game as a solo player. Since games like this are not solo player friendly, and not everyone who's going to want to play this is going to come in with a group already prepared, it's meant as a way to connect those people to groups. Also, there might be those that do wish to roleplay as the solo mercenary type character who would find great use in a board like this, since it gives them an effective way to advertise their services."

Thought it it might be something you would be intrested in.

• Options
    This is all great information, it seems that there are several ways to go about the Ashes world being a solo player. 
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited September 2018
    Yeah. Much like real life you can do your own thing or join a gang/group.
    You will still be part of the/a community/society regardless.
    But if you want to go full hermit...you can do that too..and take your chances in the wild on your own :)
  • Options
    its pretty similar to old Ragnaroks Guild-System at least in some way https://irowiki.org/wiki/Guild_System
  • Options
    I doubt it will be much like DAoC(which tbh I kind of hope for.) which is small groups can hold a choke point and utterly annihilate a zerg.

PvP will probably have great individual skill in terms of it would be serious work to take out a group of 5 people as one player.

Personally in my MMO career:

Max at once vs just me with me winning(on at least a somewhat level plateau):
    Archeage: 5
    WoW: 4
    Silkroad Online: 6
    SWG: 3
    BDO: 4(though someone actually recorded me saving them in a 2v4, so I at least have video proof of that one.)

Not listing DAoC due to pretty much 99% of the time running with a zergbuster guild. So pretty much always in a group of like 5-20 people.

I am NOT saying these players were skilled, I would call them below average with average mixed in. I was always top ~100, definitely not top 10 but good enough where I could kill the top 10 every so often and/or cause a stalemate depending on counters and such.

Zerg's will be a big part of it IF the servers can handle it.

Honestly I basically expect the game to be a mix of BDO and Archeage with WoW's payment/micro-transaction model. Hopefully it does better than all of the above, but I can't exactly see into the future.