Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

My thoughts on A1P1 Action-Combat & Close-Range

[BEFORE PLAYING]

I like the 1st approach of Action-Combat for Close-range Weapons. To me, it displays that the Devs aren't ... " afraid " of changing combat to the complete polar opposite of the Tab-targeting. I'd assume that most of my concerns is due to the Camera Angle. Admittedly , i do not like WarFrame - it simply does not fit in an MMORPG setting

If you still think that WarFrame is an MMORPG, then GTFO

Currently, the 1st Pass Sword Combat feels like ...
  • DarkFall / ESO / For Honor / WarFrame / and KingdomHearts ( kinda ). 
  • The Pacing for Sword-Combat seems kind of .... misplaced - not in regards of " too slow " or " too fast ", but rather ... it kinda seems like a drastic off-set / sudden change-of-pace once engaged. 
  • ( Close-range Weapons ) ... The Start-up is fairly nice, but i think that comes from the Charge / leap  that occurs prior before the Attack Initiates  ( or before the Melee-Weapon HitBox becomes active ) 
  • The Teleportation-Dash is neat , i personally think it should have a (slightly) longer Cooldown to prevent spamming ( i.e. " Tame " it more ) , but for now, its okay
  • The awkward " misplaced "  + Players having a natural-tendency to move around in sporadic patterns/ in circles / etc ... this feels a bit off too ; it almost seems as if the Physics are fighting with each other for some of the actions via ...  the Weight-Physics of the Swing of the Melee Weapon VS. Character movement physics, 
  • ( as continued from above bulletin ) ... not necessarily bad , but rather ... not executing the action in unison ... but then again i supposed its more of Player-input as opposed to how its designed
I'd much prefer Melee Combat to have more of an impact , but negate the ...
 " no synergy in executing actions " . ( mentioned in the 5th bulletin )

( not sure how else to word this sorry >.< )

Also, I'm thinking of Melee Combat having something similar to a Telegraph  ...
BUT not visually showing a Telegraph.

EDIT: In a nutshell ... ditch the For Honor style Combat ... but keep the Mechanics of needing to face in the general direction of the* target to inflict DMG
         * Long-range still having to aim for their Targets

In short, Combat needs to have more freedom and less restraints in actions ... but it still needs to be tamed.

EDIT: I kinda like it though

[AFTER PLAYING]

{Soon}

[...]

I'll start by saying ...

Whatever inspiration Steven & The Founding Intrepid Team had when making the Original Footages displayed in 2017 ... BEFORE PAX WEST 2017 ... 
please continue using that ArtStyle … including the entirety of the Quality too 

The Videos I'm referring to .. with the Best Looking Graphics Representation (imo) being ...
1. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfLj1B3b4LI&
2.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4vPGS8SXaw&t=
3.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Jn5yROQKzY&t=
4. https://youtu.be/RNS-c7lukb4?t=34m2s ( i timestamped this one because ... i can't find this clip anywhere else )

Now ... I am unsure if this Rich Artistic Style was scrapped or not ... but please continue to use it.  I'm HOPING ... that it'll be seen in either MAX Settings or High Settings in the Optimization window.  

~haven't played Alpha 1 yet, so ... 
Soon~

Comments

• Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited September 2018
    I simply cannot see how you think the melee combat system is similar to For Honor. Aside from the camera perspective and swords they have virtually nothing in common. Have you even played For Honor? 
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    @Pureos
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLMJoOdFns4

For Honor or DarkFall ... thats besides the point - its just not fitting for an MMO imho. It needs to feel / sound more impactful + And slightly faster

EDIT: The only difference is no Polish for Ashes of Creation. Which is why it favors DarkFall 
  • Options
    I've played both For Honor and Darkfall extensively (over a thousand hours for Darkfall) and those two games have combat systems that are nothing alike. The only reasonable comparison as I said before is the camera perspective. The melee combat in For Honor is more akin to a fighting game than what we see in the current AoC videos or Darkfall. With directional attacks, blocks, parries and consequences for getting hit beyond just damage in For Honor; the two games play completely differently.

I can see the comparison of Darkfall and AoC melee combat especially with the feeling of little impact. Though AoC seems to have options and movement potential due to dodge rolls and gap closing abilities.I think the combat pace is fine, it is already noticeably faster than both For Honor, Darkfall and most other MMO's on the market currently.
  • Options
    What you need to remember it that they have already said that the pacing for this phase of A1P1 will not be translating over to live. They may keep it like this for the instanced content like Battlegrounds, but combat overall and the ability to kill people after a few hits will be dramatically adjusted in later phases that are not instanced and for live launch.
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    Yea I don't really care about the current combat speed personally. I was just pointing out that he said the combat needs to be faster and relating it to the games he mentioned when AoC combat shown is faster than the games he referred to.
  • Options
    It's fair to say that For Honor has considerably more animations going into fighting not to mention counter-attacks and contact blocking mechanics,  none of which AoC has.  Relative to those scenarios,  AoC is not anything related. 

I believe "Bacon" at PAX West,  just days before their showing, was EAGER to incline to the fact that everything is still a "WORK IN PROGRESS" throughout his powerpoint presentation. Leading to believe that things may change and keep molding based on our opinions of the content that is presented.  Only confirming the fact that they really are listening to us and care about our viewpoints on the subject matter... But "For Honor"? No sir.  Good day to you sir!
    Someone help me out with the willa wonka meme,  haha.  😂 I'm only kidding though.  I still enjoyed reading this... 
  • Options
    Here's hoping we don't die in 2 hits in a game of "who can hit first".. I'd really like to see an MMO with longer fights that rewards strategy and skill instead of a panic smash of your cool downs for a 4 second fight .
  • Options
    Here's hoping we don't die in 2 hits in a game of "who can hit first".. I'd really like to see an MMO with longer fights that rewards strategy and skill instead of a panic smash of your cool downs for a 4 second fight .
    Make people think a bit xD one thing I never could get over was that most mmo's had a 'sequence' to the abilities you used (Especially SWTOR.....), given all the weapon types we can have etc. I think we won't have to deal with that so much ;/
  • Options
    Locked animation with movement for skills? 
    Would fix the Weight-Physics of the Swing of the Melee Weapon VS. Character movement physics.

With movement because stationary skills make melee combat very stall and unpractical.

• Options
    edited September 2018
    @AutumnLeaf

not topic-related

You could actually choose you own combos for SWTOR , but it'll be based on what  ( or who ) you're fighting
    • Close-range, you can change you tactics ... but you'll still have go by the Discipline you selected
    • Long-range should change ..  and and bit more freedom ... but still going by the discipline you selected 
    Making slight changes . It gets more fun when its 1v2 in some Arena-PvP ... but some classes have it rough against others. so it becomes iffy

When i first played swtor back in 2011 - 2012 .... there was alot talk about " Hybrid Builds " . ( besides Skill Trees  that are now gone ) . The Gear you wear could encompass a Hybrid Builds 

But you never see current swtor players do it because ... well those who talked about it mostly left + they go by guides an not exploring their characters. 

In short, swtor had some secretively-special builds. But sadly EA's Bioware neglects swtor to death
  • Options
    @Perseus01
    thx :
  • Options
    Eragale said:
    :smile: