Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

RP friendly...?

Well it's pretty straightforward, how RP friendly will this game be? One of the reasons I've stuck with WoW for so long, despite being somewhat mediocre is that it have a big RP community and they at least listen somewhat to the RP'ers (like less/no sharding on RP servers after a month of two of a new expansion). Have the devs mentioned any of this? What kinda features can we expect that can cater to an RP crowd? Will there be dedicated servers and will there be sharding?

I know there seems to be a good amount of features planned, like player housing among other things that should be somewhat easy to pull with you into RP. So the main is probably servers, sharding and emoting. Among the little stuff like being able to sit on a chair and transmogging or "town clothes" 

Still pretty excited for how this looks, it may be a great game to play on the side of WoW, if it's RP features are lacking, but if it's not I can imagine me and my guild could partially immigrate as we all have our minor/major issues with how the actual gameplay is in WoW (lot's of focus on boring WQ's instead of trying to make interesting quests for example).

Cheers everyone and have a nice day.

(I'm not 100% sure if this is the right board, feel free to move it)

Comments

• Options
    The creator is a big DnD Pathfinder player in addition to his online gaming and supports RP. Their will NOT be separate RP servers though, the rulesets are the same game wide. The servers are PvX and are not a themepark or a sandbox, but are what they are calling a themebox. No linear treadmill, too many things to do, and you decided what your plan is.

• Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited September 2018
    as far as i know they even want to have DnD like events, wont they? i thought i read it somewhere

but also? is that really reliant on the game? i though you could RP everywhere (actually curious)

heres a link to the RP section of the Forums: https://forums.ashesofcreation.com/categories/roleplaying-tavern

• Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited September 2018
    reaccon said:
    as far as i know they even want to have DnD like events, wont they? i thought i read it somewhere
    They have a tabletop Ashes project in the works for down the line and their eventual dominance of the gaming world. While they will have mod run events, they have said that the ability to make the across all servers in a way that is fair to say the people on EU server 7 (not planned name) that is the same for people on US server 10, or OCE server 1 (cause face it, we know the OZ people are never going above 10k) is something they have to look at to avoid the rabble, rabble, rabble of regional favoritism.
  • Options
    I'm no RP'er myself but from what I've gathered there'll be plenty of opportunities for RP with taverns/freeholds etc. Have a read of this https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Role_playing to gain a better idea.
  • Options
    reaccon said:

but also? is that really reliant on the game? i though you could RP everywhere (actually curious)

heres a link to the RP section of the Forums: https://forums.ashesofcreation.com/categories/roleplaying-tavern

Yes, you can indeed RP pretty much everywhere, however stuff like sharding tends to ruin random RP (your, "walk up 'n talk" type of deal) and sorta forces the RP to be in guilds only or even in small groups, it also means doing stuff that involves more than one guild tend to be a bit of a hazzle, which can be hard already, when your creating big events for example. Now that is probably the most important. 

The other things are sorta minor, but it's just nice being able to sit on chairs while at the tavern or in your home, so everyone are not just standing around or sitting on the floor. It's small details that can be done without, but just add that extra touch. Stuff like transmogification is neat since you don't need to carry a bag full of extra sets or being forced to wear stuff with really low stats to get the look you think fits your character. 
    Small things such as /emote in WoW are also pretty neat when you want to convey how characters look, feel and so on instead of just using a set amount of emotes, which can hinder some of the unique feelings. In games where there are no dedicated RP servers an unofficial one is usually selected, but it can be a bit of an issue. Like with FF a realm reborn. EU/NA RP'ers flocked to one single server which caused it to be filled to the brim, then the rest who wanted to RP got spread out among all the other servers. It's not so much for the special rules (for me at least) but more about making it easier to find each other. Like if you got a phone call from your mate to meet at a pub on x street and the street is filled with pubs. Yeah it can work, but it would be neat if your friend had told you which one. 

I get all this might seem silly to someone who don't really engage in this sorta deal, but I hope I helped clear up some stuff. 

Also thanks to the others for the links. I'm really happy to see the dev have thought about us this early.