Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Are the trees solid objects?

The scenery looks really nice, especially the trees and water.  I guess that is from the Unreal engine.  However, I keep wondering are all those birch trees solid objects?  Or can you simply run through them like they are not even there?

During a live stream maybe in June someone asked whether toons would be able to climb trees and the answer was 'no'.  That is what got me wondering whether the trees were even solid objects.

In EQ2, the trees are indeed solid objects.  Fallen or bent trees are commonly used for bridges or ramps.  You can even climb some standing trees, albeit only if they are specially designed for it with a ladder up the trunk.  Come to think of it, most of my toons in EQ2 live in treehouses, but an elevator or flying mount is needed to reach the aerial platform.

Comments

• Options
    I don't think I'm giving anything away by saying in my limited Ashes experience they are solid.
  • Options
    Without doubt, they are not solid objects, as they are just electrons on your screen. :wink:

Joke aside, they will most likely be solid for multiple reasons:
    • We have action combat, so line of sight and obstacles will play an important role
    • We have gathering, so you can expect that some (not all, probably) kind of trees will be "gatherable"
    • We already saw multiple instances of wooden bridges, so you can expect a tree to be solid, too
    Hope that helps :smiley:
  • Options
    Trees being Solid is under strict NDA....
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited September 2018
    Herdo said:
    Without doubt, they are not solid objects, as they are just electrons on your screen. :wink: 
    Solid objects also get their solidity at least partially by the repulsion of electrons.

so there. :p
  • Options
    The question is are snakes solid?
  • Options
    Hmm that depends.  Are you looking at the sap or the bark?
  • Options
    nagash said:
    my snake is always solid.
  • Options
    Sonicfani said:
    nagash said:
    No, the real question here about snakes is, are they going to be able to kick and parry like they did in EverQuest 1? xD 
  • Options
    T-Elf said:
    I don't think I'm giving anything away by saying in my limited Ashes experience they are solid.
    Dont think anybody cares but super secret information here I think the branches are not solid.
  • Options
    Nope we are all ghosts and can phase through these trees, OF COURSE THEY ARE SOLID....or at least I hope they are.
  • Options
    Sonicfani said:
    nagash said:
    I walked into that. 
  • Options
    Sonicfani said:
    nagash said:
    Remember if it lasts more than 4 hours you should consult a doctor.
  • Options
    Atama said:
    Sonicfani said:
    nagash said:
    Remember if it lasts more than 4 hours you should consult a doctor.
    Or the Squealing Goblin (see other thread)...
  • Options
    I thought rougues or rangers would be able to climb trees and walls to a certain degree no?
  • Options
    I thought rougues or rangers would be able to climb trees and walls to a certain degree no?
    Correct, there will be some archetypes with a climbing skill. We have yet to see it in practice. It will not be everywhere, just certain types of terrain/structures.
  • Options
    nagash said:
    Sonicfani said:
    nagash said:
    I walked into that. 
    Hmm? Did you walk into his solid snake? Or did his solid snake...
    Nope. I'm done here. :D
  • Options
    Nefelia said:
    nagash said:
    Sonicfani said:
    nagash said:
    I walked into that. 
    I'm not even going grace that was a answer 
  • Options
    Nefelia said:
    nagash said:
    Sonicfani said:
    nagash said:
    I walked into that. 
    Probably backed into it.
  • Options
    Atama said:
    Probably backed into it.
    There was pull from both directions.