Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Alpha 1, Looking for testers to talk about their gameplay experience.

Hey! I cannot find a discussion about this So I would like anyone willing to talk about the stress tests to do that here if you have time. Since we cannot watch this is the next best thing :) or repaste what people have said already. 

• I realize you cannot show footage.
  • Please just talk about"write about" what you liked or disliked
Thank you
Sgtfire

Comments

• Options
    Krojak is the only content creator I've found talking about the stress test thus far: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjuYIpP4mus
  • Options
    @Squeetee was so kind to give a summary of both stress test experiences:

• Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited September 2018
    I did one, rather short but I plan on doing more soon.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZkyMhpmjvA

Also check out the Dungeon Crawler Network Livestream, we streamed while we played (didn't show any footage) And answered questions

• Options
    I wish I had something to share, but ever since I paid $500 to Intrepid Studios back in early July I never once got an email from this company or an invite to test.  I don't even have an option under account details to download the game client... nothing.

Literally no idea what's going on.  I paid for Alpha1 access and never got it.
  • Options
    howitizer said:
    I wish I had something to share, but ever since I paid $500 to Intrepid Studios back in early July I never once got an email from this company or an invite to test.  I don't even have an option under account details to download the game client... nothing.

Alpha 1 hasn't started, only stress tests to prepare for it.

https://forums.ashesofcreation.com/discussion/40288/ashes-of-creation-release-dates/p1

"Starting on September 7th, 2018 at 6 PM PDT we will be starting a series of stress tests to prepare our servers for your arrival to Alpha 1 Phase 1. Admission to this stress test will be incremental and based on package tier. "
  • Options
    howitizer said:

Not the only one here, it's perfectly normal too since A0 was invite only and random draws and A1 has not even started :3
  • Options
    Good to know! Thanks guys.
  • Options
    howitizer said:

You should expect an invite in the next couple of weeks.  For the most part the stress test invites were for Kickstarter backers (original, not Summer) who paid for bigger packages than you did.  Your turn (and mine) should come soon.

The stress tests sounded like brief windows of a few hours where you spent most of your time trying to log in so I don’t think you missed much.
  • Options
    I posted this elsewhere, but my general thoughts, minus some things I'm not sure fall under NDA: 

I played three or four rounds last night during testing, it was better than I expected. Other than clearly feeling like a MOBA, which I'm honestly not a huge fan of, I'm impressed with the current state. 

Pros:
    -It didn't feel clunky to navigate menus, connect or otherwise "play" the game
    -Movement was clean and fluid most of the time 
    -The responsiveness was there  when fighting someone 
    -The environment was great to look at, can't wait to see more!

Cons:
    -As expected the HUD and inventory screens were sometimes not very responsive
    -LAG was higher at the beginning of the match before people started to die, guessing this is mostly due to people loading in the match 
    -Sounds were either not there, delayed, or blasted/got quite randomly

Overall, 7/10, would play again.
  • Options
    I just wish they'd stop calling things "Alpha 1" before it's the 'actual' Alpha 1.  Kind of lawyery explanations of what the difference are, but at the end of the day, many of us paid to have "earliest access to Ashes!" and other people (including game key give away recipients) keep getting in to play first.  (Is there an earliestest access I don't know about?)  ;-) 

I backed this during Kickstarter and have been waiting for my "earliest access" to finally begin.  It definitely is annoying to keep getting passed over for access. 
  • Options
    howitizer said:

Yea like a lot of other people already said you should be coming up soon. If you were in the 500 tier you have right around 2500 people in front of you for access. You should have access in the next few weeks. 
  • Options
    I just wish they'd stop calling things "Alpha 1" before it's the 'actual' Alpha 1.  Kind of lawyery explanations of what the difference are, but at the end of the day, many of us paid to have "earliest access to Ashes!" and other people (including game key give away recipients) keep getting in to play first.  (Is there an earliestest access I don't know about?)  ;-) 

I backed this during Kickstarter and have been waiting for my "earliest access" to finally begin.  It definitely is annoying to keep getting passed over for access. 
    They are stress testing and getting servers ready for you. Trust me from what I seen during the tests I participated we spend most of our time in queue or crashing so now imagine if they allowed all  backers in what would happen.
  • Options
    "Most of test we were just sitting in queue, restarting the game over and over again. The game itself started by us dropping into battle royal styled area that shrinks as time passes. Area itself was pretty amazing looking even though some places were obviously made in hurry (floating houses) but the assets themselves were phenomenal from the buildings to smaller props expect the level from what we saw in concept arts.

Game play consisted of us walking around picking up armor and weapons that ranged from ranged to magic to melee (which granted us different abilities) and combat itself was pretty solid for ranged while melee felt bit stand near and flail but its really solid foundation and from what I expect from intrepid it will be ironed out it was still fun though." Copypasting my comment about A1 stress test."
  • Options
    Sonicfani said:
    "Most of test we were just sitting in queue, restarting the game over and over again. The game itself started by us dropping into battle royal styled area that shrinks as time passes. Area itself was pretty amazing looking even though some places were obviously made in hurry (floating houses) but the assets themselves were phenomenal from the buildings to smaller props expect the level from what we saw in concept arts.

Game play consisted of us walking around picking up armor and weapons that ranged from ranged to magic to melee (which granted us different abilities) and combat itself was pretty solid for ranged while melee felt bit stand near and flail but its really solid foundation and from what I expect from intrepid it will be ironed out it was still fun though." Copypasting my comment about A1 stress test."

So, you got to be part of Alpha 1 game play......  ;-)

Earliest means essentially "first" not second, third, fourth, "after these other people" and so on.  I appreciate that some of you are trying to explain it, but it's still frustrating.

Luckily, Real Alpha 1 is coming months earlier than expected, so that's a big plus.
  • Options
    Stress Test > slow download > Launch button > error message > send in a report, but send buttons are greyed out. >post results > Rinse and repeat.
  • Options
    Name character...ready status....wait 2 hours on screen. Go as cross eyed as avatar. Testing finishes.
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited September 2018
    howitizer said:

Don't worry, it will come. I too am a Braver of Worlds, and have not received THE email, but I did receive one explaining how Alpha testing will go. They are starting in small waves, based on backer tiers. Simply put, those that paid MORE than $500 are in before we are.
  • Options
    we should be in next week since then they are inviting 3k more backers:)

• Options
    This test phase is a bonus phase anyways, I'm kinda glad it's being staged like this, but yes, next week I think a lot of people will start getting in.
  • Options
    I don't get in until A2, but from what I am seeing, I have been tempted to upgrade, but at the same time I want to wait because of my past experiences XD

I am sure we have all had those games such as Destiny, ME: Andromeda, No Man's Lie (upon release it was trash, but now it is a pretty good game), and these are just off the top of my head. I know they are not MMOs, but they are all video games from the same industry, and I do not want to get burnt again. If I lose the $150 I dropped into the kickstarter, then oh well, it was chump change that I made from mowing lawns around the neighborhood. So I will literally lose nothing more than 7 hours of work over it. I really want this game to be amazing, but I have been burned way too many times to invest anymore than 10 hours worth of work money into a big game anymore unless I absolutely fall in love with it, like I did with Tera. 
  • Options
    I don't get in until A2, but from what I am seeing, I have been tempted to upgrade, but at the same time I want to wait because of my past experiences XD

I am sure we have all had those games such as Destiny, ME: Andromeda, No Man's Lie (upon release it was trash, but now it is a pretty good game), and these are just off the top of my head. I know they are not MMOs, but they are all video games from the same industry, and I do not want to get burnt again. If I lose the $150 I dropped into the kickstarter, then oh well, it was chump change that I made from mowing lawns around the neighborhood. So I will literally lose nothing more than 7 hours of work over it. I really want this game to be amazing, but I have been burned way too many times to invest anymore than 10 hours worth of work money into a big game anymore unless I absolutely fall in love with it, like I did with Tera. 
    Smart move, remember there are many MMORPGS that claimed to be the next big thing and failed. If you are even bit hesitant I would recommend against it and this is from someone who has drunk the kool aid.
  • Options
    The one thing to take away from this is that it is to test the servers and netcode - While it's nice to have this battle royal mode to see what the mechanics could be its also possible that very many changes to the combat system will take place throughout the testing phases.

Login server and netcode testing - So far, so good for those that are not having problems downloading and installing the game.

Steven has posted that a lot of valuable data has been gathered and it will be used to make the experience much better.

• Options
    Sonicfani said:

Smart move, remember there are many MMORPGS that claimed to be the next big thing and failed. If you are even bit hesitant I would recommend against it and this is from someone who has drunk the kool aid.
    I’ll second this.  I was impressed enough to shell out for a lifetime sub in KS but I fault nobody for being cautious.
  • Options
    Overall I was Impressed with what they had so far!  8/10 Considering it's not even 1/4 of what the game combat is going to actually be!

-The area we got to test was just a single battleground, But it was HUGE. And the environment was beautiful!

-Combat was actually much smoother than I anticipated. The melee range did *feel* a bit like flail and hope you hit. But I know thats being worked on.

-The active dodge roll was good, it pulls from a stamina resource pool (like eso)

-We havent gotten to test any actual class abilities yet. Only weapons and magic attacks that have to be manually picked up and equipped.

Solid asf foundation for gameplay! The server did have hiccups doing the first
    couple stress tests but since then I have run into zero connectivety issues. There are some animation bugs you may run into however.

The rest is a very rough draft of the UI and Login screen. I know we wont see any of that polished until later though. 

Also, we havent actually started Alpha one.
    Its been just stress tests for the server in preperation of Alpha 1 ;)

So no worries everyone will have their emails to login here soon in the next week or so
  • Options
    I will be in the last batch of Alpha 1 invites as I was probably around #7,000 of the 10K that are on the list. I am patiently waiting.  Ready to jump in and help with all the testing phases.  Rolling up my sleeves.  This MMORPG will be the best ever both because of the awesome vision of this dev team, AND so many avid gamers are going to be part of the testing/feedback/testing/feedback loop.  *soon*!!  <3<3<3
  • Options
    For those of you whom were in the stress test, how do the time to kill metrics feel so far? And could you relate it to another game for our reference? Like are people getting two shot, or do 1 v 1 battles tend to take upwards of 30 seconds?

It's hard to tell from the combat vids we have seen since they always seem to be already engaged.
  • Options
    Beolupus said:
    For those of you whom were in the stress test, how do the time to kill metrics feel so far? And could you relate it to another game for our reference? Like are people getting two shot, or do 1 v 1 battles tend to take upwards of 30 seconds?

It's hard to tell from the combat vids we have seen since they always seem to be already engaged.
    It's definitely not a 1 shot game.

1v1's for me lasted upwards of 40 seconds depending who I was fighting
  • Options
    This is a fast paced version because it is a battle royale.  This is not indicative of what the game kill pace will be like.
  • Options
    Sintu said:
    This is a fast paced version because it is a battle royale.  This is not indicative of what the game kill pace will be like.
    This is also very true to keep in mind

We were all using placeholder gear. And had no passives, abilities, or any other bonuses

All we had were some basic combat manuevering and attacks. The rest was movement, some items and animations

The combat we are seeing now will be so different in 5 months.

And Alpha 2 will look like a newer and more updated game than what we are seeing now since its only basic combat and not even any of the classes yet or their skills
  • Options
    Last man standing, lol