Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

The spell effects are intense...and I love it.

So, I've been watching a lot of gameplay videos as I catch up on the game. I have to say the spell effects are amazing. Massive aoes, huge colorful explosions, giant walls, fiery weapons. However, in other mmos I've seen people complain about things like this: it affects their fps, it makes it hard to see, obscures the terrain. And then the devs end up scaling things down to compensate.

Forget all that. If each player has the ability to adjust their graphical settings to reduce those aspects, then fine. But for those that want to experience the true, insane visual tempests, let them. Tell the artists not to hold back.

Comments

• Options
    Sounds good, liner in options for visual spell effects between 0-100.

I prefer minimum but I understand those who like them and option to adjust would be great.

Freedom of choice ftw.

• Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited September 2018
    Fat or Thin effects eh ?
    Some people like ostentatious clothing, others not.
    If its user definable, not much to complain about really.

Myself, I love many players in a dense combat environment.
    Having OTT effects either 1. overloading the graphics card or 2. blinding me from enemy feedback.... is not an option.
    Effects need to be unique enough and subtle enough to convey and differentiate combat information in the densest of crowds.

But I can also understand those who want the 4th of July fireworks extravaganza. Where eye candy is everything.

• Options
    Something to keep in mind.. and I'll use this as an example.. There was a mmo, a shooter, where you could adjust the amount of grass rendered in the world. People would set it to zero so that they could see others easier or even those trying to use grass as cover/camo.. It was a tactical advantage to turn off grass in the world. I do not want to see that happen in AoC.. A slider, sure but not all the way off or zero.
    We also have to keep in mind that the game is said to use computers up to five years old.. and the game is a year and a bit out.. so that would mean, roughly, a geforce 900 series or better.. Which should be able to handle the effects at 1080p easily (as long as it's not a 930 or something very low end). Hardware has advanced a lot.. and even with the five year stretch, it would mean still a pretty solid system. Newer the better of course, but you get what I mean.. :) it's not like the 2000s were, going back five years meant a really crummy computer. heh..
    I will not comment on laptops, though.. I currently play EQ2 on a laptop but the game is now 14 years old.. I do not expect a good experience with AoC on it even though it's from 2016 and has a 950m.. There are laptops that are true beasts, but not everyone has $1500+ to drop on one.. but a $1500 on a desktop would shred the game.
  • Options
    Ohh and yes, I love the current effects.. An epileptic orgasm of colors and particles.
    How it plays out with 1000 people on the screen.. Unsure.. haha.. WAR online had a ton of effects as well in pvp.. Was a bit laggy but hardware and programming has come a long way since those days..

• Options
    Shoklen said:
    Something to keep in mind.. and I'll use this as an example.. There was a mmo, a shooter, where you could adjust the amount of grass rendered in the world. People would set it to zero so that they could see others easier or even those trying to use grass as cover/camo.. It was a tactical advantage to turn off grass in the world. I do not want to see that happen in AoC.. A slider, sure but not all the way off or zero.
    We also have to keep in mind that the game is said to use computers up to five years old.. and the game is a year and a bit out.. so that would mean, roughly, a geforce 900 series or better.. Which should be able to handle the effects at 1080p easily (as long as it's not a 930 or something very low end). Hardware has advanced a lot.. and even with the five year stretch, it would mean still a pretty solid system. Newer the better of course, but you get what I mean.. :) it's not like the 2000s were, going back five years meant a really crummy computer. heh..
    I will not comment on laptops, though.. I currently play EQ2 on a laptop but the game is now 14 years old.. I do not expect a good experience with AoC on it even though it's from 2016 and has a 950m.. There are laptops that are true beasts, but not everyone has $1500+ to drop on one.. but a $1500 on a desktop would shred the game.
    Good call about the grass, reminds me of GW2 when people rolled asura (smallest race) for perceived upper hand.
  • Options
    Sonicfani said:
    Good call about the grass, reminds me of GW2 when people rolled asura (smallest race) for perceived upper hand.
    Good example too! :) I have the feeling that most the races in Ashes will be about the same height for that very reason.. Especially with three hit locations.. You do not want an ogre fighting a pixie.. Ogre would have a giant head-box hit location and the pixie's head would be microscopic. heh
  • Options
    I love it as is.
  • Options
    Ah, yes.  The age old divide, between the opposing schools of "Gandalfism" vs. "Alassraism"...

Gandalfism:  The minimalist approach to magic, preferred by Gandalf the Grey.  A light, subtle touch upon the Weave, lest mighty magics draw the ever burning Eye of Sauron, leading to thine everlasting doom.

Alassraism:  A firm hand upon the Weave, to apply an even firmer foot upon the neck of your enemies.  Such is the way of the (in)famous Storm Queen of Aglarond, Alassra Silverhand.  The Simbul.  To instill incredible fear within your foes, one must destroy them in a likewise incredible fashion...
  • Options
    If they complain about FPS, tell them to get a better PC..
  • Options
    I like subtle affects. Enough to give me a que to what my opponents is doing, but not so much as to obscure tactical options in group PvP
  • Options
    It needs to be INDEPENDENCE DAY, every fuckin day, cause 'MERICA! FUCK YEA!
  • Options
    Shoklen said:

That's fair. But I'm also of the philosophy that fun > 'balance'. Look at a game like WoW where the devs have sucked the fun out of the combat all in the name of balance. This obsession over making a perfectly, even level playing field just results in mundane combat...for an mmorpg. Basically, I don't think an mmo should be designed as an e-sport. Let players be exception and stand out. That's the rpg nature. Same goes for things like spell effects. Instead of worrying about the possible advantages and disadvantages of intense graphics, really the focus should be: is it cool? Is it fun? Is it immersive? Does it blow players away? That's where the emphasis should lie.
  • Options
    I understand why some would want it toned down but i'm also on the side of keeping it as is. I don't know why some people have issues with the shaky camera either. if theres a massive meteor coming down then there should be shaky effects. i dont just want a "Look out a meteor!" and then poof* bright red lights* and then done. I want to feel the impact and the shaky camera did just that. They also mentioned something in livestream about destructible objects when projectiles from catapults land. I'd like to see that in action as well. 
  • Options
    Drokk said:
    That's fair. But I'm also of the philosophy that fun > 'balance'. Look at a game like WoW where the devs have sucked the fun out of the combat all in the name of balance. This obsession over making a perfectly, even level playing field just results in mundane combat...for an mmorpg. Basically, I don't think an mmo should be designed as an e-sport. Let players be exception and stand out. That's the rpg nature. Same goes for things like spell effects. Instead of worrying about the possible advantages and disadvantages of intense graphics, really the focus should be: is it cool? Is it fun? Is it immersive? Does it blow players away? That's where the emphasis should lie.
    I agree completely; I'm of the same mindset. There is however a percentage of players that find fun in the meta, number crunched, advantage at all costs, styled gameplay.
    If there were the ability to completely turn off particles in a game, say, Overwatch, everyone would do it for the hardware/tactical leverage of unimpeded sight of the combat field. Not to mention it would make the steams that much more boring to watch; but that's another subject. heh
    Like I said, a slider would be great but the ability to completely turn something off.. Not sure on that one, as it can drastically change the playing field and introduce heavily weighted advantages/disadvantages depending on which side of the coin the player is on.

Though on a side note.. I remember back a long time ago it was mentioned that there would be no combat log for Ashes.. So no parcing of combat data and that entire line of meta-play.
  • Options
    Shoklen said:
    Drokk said:
    I agree completely; I'm of the same mindset. There is however a percentage of players that find fun in the meta, number crunched, advantage at all costs, styled gameplay.
    If there were the ability to completely turn off particles in a game, say, Overwatch, everyone would do it for the hardware/tactical leverage of unimpeded sight of the combat field. Not to mention it would make the steams that much more boring to watch; but that's another subject. heh
    Like I said, a slider would be great but the ability to completely turn something off.. Not sure on that one, as it can drastically change the playing field and introduce heavily weighted advantages/disadvantages depending on which side of the coin the player is on.

Though on a side note.. I remember back a long time ago it was mentioned that there would be no combat log for Ashes.. So no parcing of combat data and that entire line of meta-play.
    I'm sure a 'meta' will exist. I'm just saying the design of the game shouldn't be based around it. I could go off on a wild tangent about how developers focus on the wrong things. I just want to have fun and play a game. Amazing looking spells immerse me in the experience. I'm watching these videos and I'm blown away. I don't want them universally scaled back because some 'meta' players complain that it makes it harder for them to see what's going on, it dilutes the skill factor because it's just 'chaos', or whatever nonsense they usually come up with. It looks epic. It's realistic. I very much doubt a real life battlefield is perfect and pristine and enables every soldier to be aware of everything that's going on at any given time. Dealing with such things is part of the experience.
  • Options
    Drokk said:
    I'm sure a 'meta' will exist. I'm just saying the design of the game shouldn't be based around it. I could go off on a wild tangent about how developers focus on the wrong things. I just want to have fun and play a game. Amazing looking spells immerse me in the experience. I'm watching these videos and I'm blown away. I don't want them universally scaled back because some 'meta' players complain that it makes it harder for them to see what's going on, it dilutes the skill factor because it's just 'chaos', or whatever nonsense they usually come up with. It looks epic. It's realistic. I very much doubt a real life battlefield is perfect and pristine and enables every soldier to be aware of everything that's going on at any given time. Dealing with such things is part of the experience.
    Yup, yup, I agree and I love the current visuals. :)
  • Options
    I am all for options.
    I personally prefer a subtle approach to effects. But I acknowledged others like the full visceral experience.

My consideration mainly concerns player fatigue and eye strain. a 5min demo is impressive but multiply the effects by multiple hour sessions and it can have adverse health implications.

I like the art style of the effects, but it's a bit much for me. GW2 has shown me what to much of good thing can be to the point I stopped plying it.

As long as i can tune the graphics options to my preferences without effecting balance or competitive outcomes is fine by me.

• Options
    If Intrepid can make sure that the OTT effects have no effect on the rendering my system does and how quickly it can process the visuals and as long as i can see at least a modicum of the layout of the battle they can leave the effects as they are. But if it is going to drag my sysem to a crawl and induce epileptic seizures in me than well i would rather see a slider to tone the effects down.
  • Options
    Drokk said:
    Shoklen said:

There is no fun without balance.
    Without balance all you end up with is clone builds playing the same stuff 'cause IWIN.
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    Shoklen said:
    Drokk said:

Crank the detail right down to hitboxes only ;)

Dont need combat logs with a video recording of values going off. The preivew videos also had live combat logging. /shrugs
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    Dont need combat logs with a video recording of values going off. The preivew videos also had live combat logging. /shrugs
    Interesting..  Text combat logs saved to your computer used for parcing in third party programs? Wow I thought they explicitly said they would never do that. This is in which the context I was speaking. Personally i wish they didn't, but that's my preference. That's pretty huge, thanks for sharing. 

• Options
    Shoklen said:
    Interesting..  Text combat logs saved to your computer used for parcing in third party programs? Wow I thought they explicitly said they would never do that. This is in which the context I was speaking. Personally i wish they didn't, but that's my preference. That's pretty huge, thanks for sharing. 

Who said there were logs being saved to your computer? There are values being displayed on screen atm, no one has said you had access to them. They have not changed their plan on limiting the API release into the wild, or allowing that data to be used by third party software. They have in fact stated that if people were to develop such apps that they would just adjust the values to make them give erroneous results.
  • Options
    I am hoping they incorporate some type of opt in dps meter for us tryhards so we can minmax to our hearts content. Otherwise I have to do it old school and record the video and calculate my dps manually which is just a pain :l BUT I WILL FUCKING DO IT IF I DO NOT GET MY DPS METER!
  • Options
    Shoklen said:

For the 'hard of reading' ...the emphasis should be placed o the word 'live' as opposed to 'offline'. Because attention to detail matters right. Otherwise people jump to conclusions and make wayward assumptions. ;)
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    I was thinking about graphics options when I was watching the Stress Test preview video. I'm hoping there will be lots of options available. In particular, I hope the devs will take a look at the options in some other games like BDO and FFXIV, where they have things like the ability to turn off spells effects for non-group members and sliders to control the level of effects like zoom and screenshake. 
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    They are looking pretty cool in the vids I've seen.
  • Options
    They are looing pretty cool in the vids I've seen. I just kinda hope that they don't get to the point that visibility is too obscured accept when that is the intent.
    As long as all the mages can get together and we can have our own 4th of July celebration, then we have all the necessities covered :D
  • Options
    For the 'hard of reading' ...the emphasis should be placed o the word 'live' as opposed to 'offline'. Because attention to detail matters right. Otherwise people jump to conclusions and make wayward assumptions. ;)
    And why I said it the way I did.. Apparently people didnt read the word 'parce' in the context of the word 'log' in my original post. Which has nothing to do with a chat channel in the game. I know no one that parces data from a chat channel, by hand.. that's just silly. Hence my last post highlighting the miscommunication.. by accepting the miscommunication as fact. Apparenlly I was too convincing.. but sarcasm is difficult in forum posts. My fault.
    People need to read my original post, there was no misinformation there at all. There will be no combat logs, there will be no parcing.. "Live" is not a parceable log.. and was clearly not what I was talking about.
    It's all good.. I take full responsibility for people misreading what I typed.. heh :)
  • Options
    Note: It really did just come down to a miscommunication of terminologies. What you are calling a 'Live Combat Log', I call 'In Game Combat Feedback' with the term 'Log' being reserved for something that is saved out of game for later analysis.
    No big deal, it happens.. Especially with a genre with such a wide, global, scope.

• Options
    I just want to make sure that the game supports automatically reducing them as needed. Some games just leave them on one setting the whole time. Games that go as far as to remove AoE partical effects  in massive fights greatly reduce the chances of client crashing.