Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Investing In Intrepid Studios

Will this company go public at any point in time? Are there any opportunities to invest in the game?

Comments

• Options
    You have missed both kickstarters, but there will be a cosmetic shop in-game for you to throw money at :D
  • Options
    Doubt you will ever see this happen

• Options
    If you are talking about the game being publicly traded on an exchange for dividend paying stock and investors being able to influence the game direction, then no. Intrepid is a private company, the owner of record is/was a successful businessman in MLM, then later real estate, so the need to capitalize through a public offering has not been indicated. The whole point of this exercise was to NOT make a game that was beholden to the bottom line. Look at EA or Tesla is you want to see the problems companies have with "vision" once they allow the unwashed masses to have a say in the companies direction. Publicly traded companies have a legal obligation to make as much money as possible for their investors, and can be sued when they don't do what as seen as doing their best to achieve that goal. Intrepid, if it stays true to its founding ideals will make buckets of money for Steven and anyone else that has a piece of the pie, but allowing others to stick their two cents in every quarter to yell "Take the game f2p, cause microtransaction p2w makes more money, look at EA's publicly released numbers!" would be the beginning of the end for this company.
  • Options
    By a shirt and a package, you're an investor :wink:
  • Options
    I would rather they not go public.  Once you have stakeholders who invest, they are going to want a return and eventually it will be about making a return on investors and not creating an awesome game.  That is why Steven put 30 million of his own money into this because he wants a game for players, not a money making cash grab.

If you want to support, which I am all for, go and buy some merch from the AoC website or a starter bundle.  That is an even better way to support them than buying into stocks/shares if that were available.
  • Options
    Azathoth said:
    By a shirt and a package, you're an investor :wink:
    Well you are not wrong ^^
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited September 2018
    Lets hope it never goes public otherwise you can start expecting EA type shenanigans. 
  • Options
    @Dragnon NO, you cut that shit out NOW! You are not allowed to mention those worthless bastards in here, go away :P
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited September 2018
    Keeping shareholders happy and keeping customers happy is a conflict of interest.
    Shareholders are only interested in maximising a quick buck.
    They dont give a shit if that means the companies folds long term because they alienated all their customers in the process and got such a shite reputation no new customers would touch them with a barge pole.
    The share holders simply jump ship for the next quick buck, before the shit hits the fan.

And the quick buck methodology is P2Win.
  • Options
    Soulkey said:
    I would rather they not go public.  Once you have stakeholders who invest, they are going to want a return and eventually it will be about making a return on investors and not creating an awesome game.  That is why Steven put 30 million of his own money into this because he wants a game for players, not a money making cash grab.

If you want to support, which I am all for, go and buy some merch from the AoC website or a starter bundle.  That is an even better way to support them than buying into stocks/shares if that were available.
    wtf you are dumb if you think that a private investor would not want return lol

Why do you talk about things that you didn't understand in the first place?
  • Options
    There's only one way to get a piece of the pie without ruining it. Get people to sign up through your referral link. You get 15% of what they spend on the game. Here's my link in case any lurkers are reading this and haven't signed up yet.

Referral link. https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/sunfrog/
  • Options
    sunfrog said:
    There's only one way to get a piece of the pie without ruining it. Get people to sign up through your referral link. You get 15% of what they spend on the game. Here's my link in case any lurkers are reading this and haven't signed up yet.

if I can hear you bob ross voice once more I would give a item in game ^^
  • Options
    You have missed both kickstarters, but there will be a cosmetic shop in-game for you to throw money at.
    You could show up at a convention and 'make it rain' inside the Intrepid booth.

• Options
    They can go public as long as SS maintains complete control of the company as in > 50% ownership.

I found out the hard way one time that if you own less than 50% of a company you are just a different flavor of employee, lol.
  • Options
    Crymoar said:
    They can go public as long as SS maintains complete control of the company as in > 50% ownership.

I found out the hard way one time that if you own less than 50% of a company you are just a different flavor of employee, lol.
    Are you the ghost of Steve Jobs?
  • Options
    Soulkey said:

THIS!!!!!! Every game that has gone bad seems to have because of shareholders!!! They don't care about the game, they want to ruin companies for short-term profit then get out!
  • Options
    nagash said:
    sunfrog said:

if I can hear you bob ross voice once more I would give a item in game ^^
    Hahaha, yes, project that lovely and cunning voice of yours once again!
  • Options
    Atama said:
    Crymoar said:

Are you the ghost of Steve Jobs?
    His ghost has more money than I do, lol.
  • Options
    akmaa said:
    Soulkey said:

wtf you are dumb if you think that a private investor would not want return lol

Why do you talk about things that you didn't understand in the first place?
    Private investors get a return when a) the company sells or b) the company goes public or c) the company issues a dividend (uncommon in private business). Two of the three possibilities are in conflict to player's interest and the third is not likely to happen. Therefor investing your money in Intrepid Studios is probably going to lead to unintended consequences that will not be great for the game in the long run. Just keep buying cosmetics to support the staff and development efforts and invest in a mutual fund after the coming market down turn. 
  • Options
    Many of you have issues with the company going public but if they retain creative control there is 0 conflict of interest because this game is gonna be a hit regardless. They are gonna make money because they are pleasing the crowd that matters and that is the gamers.
  • Options
    It is better to stay safe and not go public, even if creative control is kept.

Take it like P2W: First, you have a cosmetic-only cash shop. That is fine.

Then, you go out of your comfort zone and allow 1 item that is not P2W, let's say Loot Pets. Loot Pets will increase profit per hour and can be considered as slight P2W.

Since you already have Loot Pets, why not add Inventory Expansions? They don't hurt anyone, they are just convenient and make a lot of money.

Now we have loot pets to loot more and faster and inventory expansions so you can carry more loot before you have to visit a town to unload.

Sounds harmless, but players that buy into those items will have an advantage over players that do not have them.

I say, keep it safe, leave IS as a private company. If you want to support them, be my guest.
  • Options
    Dragnon said:
    Private investors get a return when a) the company sells or b) the company goes public or c) the company issues a dividend (uncommon in private business). Two of the three possibilities are in conflict to player's interest and the third is not likely to happen. Therefor investing your money in Intrepid Studios is probably going to lead to unintended consequences that will not be great for the game in the long run. Just keep buying cosmetics to support the staff and development efforts and invest in a mutual fund after the coming market down turn. 
    No, that's not how it works.
    Noone would be dumb enough to invest into it, if they could not expect profit afterwards...