Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

[SURVEY] Class Name Change - Part One - Fighter Primary

Various AoC podcasts and forum threads have expressed discontent with some of the current class names. My plan is to survey the community on their preferences in this regard, and compile the top suggestions for IS. Here is how its going to work:

1. The first round will be a survey (link below) to cover the Fighter primary class. For each Fighter subclass, people will vote to either keep the current name, or propose a new one. I will let the survey simmer for one week before we start the next round of polling.
    Example:
        1. Weapon Master - Fighter - Fighter
            A ) Keep Name
            B ) Propose New Name:______________
2. After one week, I will post an in-forum poll for each subclass in which over 50% of people had suggested a new name. The poll will list all the proposed name changes, as well as still keeping the name. Participants may comment and explain their reasoning for their proposed name change here.
    Example:
        Poll for Weapon Master
            A ) Weapon Master
            B ) Berserker
            C ) Juggernaut
            D ) Legionnaire
3. At the same time as these fighter subclass polls, I will start the next survey round for the Tank primary class. And thus, the series of polls will rinse and repeat.
Following this process, at the end of nine weeks we will have polls for class name changes for all subclasses in which over 50% of participants suggested a change. Moreover, we will have community metrics to support claims for a name change from Intrepid Studios. Please share these polls with any whom you'd know to be interested such that our sample size is as large as possible.
So without further ado, here is the first survey for the Fighter primary class! https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/MDVB8BZ
The poll for Fighter subclass name changes, and Tank primary class survey will be released on Mon, Sept 24th.
Please note:
* I am only using survey monkey because the in-forum polling options are very limited. 
* The second round of polling where people will actually vote on new names will be conducted here in the official forums.
* I am spreading out the polling for each class week by week to avoid flooding the forums, and to get the input of less active users.
* If you don't like the current name, but also don't have a suggestion, simply type N/A or None

Comments

• Options
    Took a bit of thinking this one 😁
  • Options
    Took the survey. I only changed Fighter-Fighter to Warmaster instead of Weapon Master. "War" in the name gives a bigger umbrella for what the class is meant for. If Fighter-Fighters use weapons or only their fists, it's all contributes to war.

I considered changing Fighter-Ranged, but Hunter is fine. 

Cool idea, btw. There are some names that could sound a bit better. 

• Options
    Mercenary
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited September 2018
    Fighter/Rogue = Swashbuckler
    Fighter/Ranger = Scout  nvm.... it was pointed out that this should be more roguish...
    Fighter/Bard = Warcaller, or Warchanter
  • Options
    Why take 9 weeks? Bang that shit out brooooooo. =p
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    I would only change Highsword for Inquisitor the rest are fine imo.

• Options
    Rohkai said:
    Ha, I just want to give everyone a chance to participate. The more votes we have, the more validity the poll will have to propose to Intrepid. I also don't want 30 polls going on simultaneously.

We got a lot of time until release, no need to rush ;)
  • Options
    Santy182 said:

Oh yes
  • Options
    Santy182 said:

Yea, I like that. IMO, shadowblade, spellsword, and highsword all sound a bit too generic. I think we can do better.
  • Options
    Beolupus said:
    Rohkai said:
    Ha, I just want to give everyone a chance to participate. The more votes we have, the more validity the poll will have to propose to Intrepid. I also don't want 30 polls going on simultaneously.

We got a lot of time until release, no need to rush ;)
    Fair enough... I was just thinking that all 8 polls could be posted, but give ample time for an adequate sample to be gathered.. 
  • Options
    Rohkai said:
    Fair enough... I was just thinking that all 8 polls could be posted, but give ample time for an adequate sample to be gathered.. 
    That's a good point. I thought about doing it that way but was concerned that it would be hard to keep even 8 polls relevant at the same time, at least in terms of keeping them on the front page. I think ultimately separating them and stretching it out will maximize visibility.
  • Options
    Cool, this is your baby. I'll toss my 2 cents in here and there for whatever it's worth.
  • Options
    Beolupus said:
    Santy182 said:

Yea, I like that. IMO, shadowblade, spellsword, and highsword all sound a bit too generic. I think we can do better.
    They were the only ones I changed 😂.
  • Options
    So it turns out this may not be a multi part poll after all. To my surprise, the majority of people want to keep the name for all classes. The largest differentiation was Highsword, and even then, only 36% of people so far are suggesting to change it.

Although the sample size is still small only around 70 votes and the survey may be flawed since I didn't put a "I don't care" option, this survey is skewed in favor of a name change because people with a new name suggestion were more likely to participate in the poll at all.

Therefore, my hypothesis seems to be wrong and I won't fight against the majority on this. At the end of the poll (sunday), I'll reveal all the survey results for those interested but most arn't close.
  • Options
    Beolupus said:
    Santy182 said:

That looks like he's from The Protectorate of Menoth
  • Options
    It just might be too soon to get an in-depth survey. I have the feeling many account holders are not here daily or even weekly at this point. There are those of us that visit daily, but you get what I mean. It would be interesting to see what such a survey would produce, say, in four months, eight months, or even near launch as more and more people join the community.
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    I voted to change all of them except the Dreadnought.

Weapon Master > Champion
    Shadowblade > Bandit
    Hunter > Skirmisher
    Highsword > Zealot
    Bladecaller > Commander

Unsure really about Spellsword and Bladecaller. Don't like em, but I don't have much better to replace them with either. Hunter is a fine name, too... except/unless the fighter/ranger ends up being melee, which I suspect is true...and then Hunters running around with swords hacking things is just silly.

Edit: Hmm after reading comments maybe Inquisitor is better than Zealot for fighter/cleric. I like that.
  • Options
    Fighter-Fighter
    It should be Berserker

And Fighter-Cleric
    It should be Crusader perhaps?
  • Options
    toshito said:
    Fighter-Fighter
    It should be Berserker

And Fighter-Cleric
    It should be Crusader perhaps?
    These are the ones I wanted to see and it makes sense.
  • Options
    I like the name Skirmisher for the hunter sub-class.
    Gladiator for the fighter sub-class is more evocative to me
  • Options
    You shouldve had a skip option for all of em. 
    I can see room for improvement on most of them.

Can you see the suggestions and make a poll for best one of each sub type? I wanna vote for RawRadishes suggestion :D 
  • Options
    You shouldve had a skip option for all of em. 
    I can see room for improvement on most of them.

Can you see the suggestions and make a poll for best one of each sub type? I wanna vote for RawRadishes suggestion :D 
    On Sunday, I'll release the percentages for every subclass and all the suggestions. You may use those to create a poll if you wish, but personally I think I'd be beating a dead horse were I to do it.

In the midst of conducting this, I also found this thread which has a ton of great suggestions as well: https://forums.ashesofcreation.com/discussion/35855/the-unofficial-official-name-that-secondary-class-last-chance-to-play/p1
  • Options
    i hope they keep the names as they are.. shouldnt mess with the vision they have imo, intresting to see how all of them work out even if everyone could come up with different ones based on personal experience xd
  • Options
    Beolupus said:

The poll for Fighter subclass name changes, and Tank primary class survey will be released on Mon, Sept 24th.

• Options
    edited September 2018
    Okay, so as previously stated. I do not think I will continue this polling due to the results of the most recent poll, where not one subclass came particularly close to 50%+ in favor of a name change. After a sampling of at least 90 participants, the survey suggested the majority of people are just fine with the names as they are.

The results and responses can be found here: https://www.surveymonkey.com/results/SM-5QPZZKHHL/

Summary (Percentages represent amount of pro name change):
    Weapon Master - 30%
    Dreadnought - 8.89%
    Shadowblade - 12.22%
    Hunter - 16.85%
    Spellsword - 19.10%
    Bladecaller - 13.48%
    Highsword - 41.57%
    Bladedancer - 13.33%
  • Options
    Just for funsies, this is the list I made based on survey results, related forum discussions, and my personal preference. Emphasis put on removing most names where the name was aspect of primary + aspect of secondary (ie Shadowblade, Spellsword, Shadow Gaurdian, etc). Names drawn from inspiration from ancient history, D&D, MTG, and Blizzard fantasy.

• Options
    I foresee a problem, how many names will be used up before the bard gets their time in the sun?  I would withhold all the results until you're done so people could pick the one they like best between duplicates.
  • Options
    Just change that Archwizard to Archmage, the wizard makes me think of some Harry Potter and stuff, I'm not a fan of swinging a little stick.
  • Options
    Just change that Archwizard to Archmage, the wizard makes me think of some Harry Potter and stuff, I'm not a fan of swinging a little stick.
    In my survey the Archmage is currently the number 1 choice for the Mage/Mage. Makes sense, it is a fitting name, sounds good, and everyone is familiar with it. Rolls well when said, too.
  • Options
    Ravnodaus said:
    In my survey the Archmage is currently the number 1 choice for the Mage/Mage. Makes sense, it is a fitting name, sounds good, and everyone is familiar with it. Rolls well when said, too.
    Yeah I have nothing against the term wizard just the fact that mage+mage=archwizard...it's kind of like trying to make it sound fancy or different when there is no real need.