Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Will This Game Be Added To Steam When Released?

Is the only way to play going to be download through the Ashes of Creation website or will there be a Steam release for it as well?

Comments

• Options
    No, Ashes will not be on Steam. We have multiple developer quotes on it.
  • Options
    That's a pretty big disappointment. :disappointed:

Almost all of my games are on Steam and I rarely ever bother to play anything that isn't. lol
  • Options

Almost all of my games are on Steam and I rarely ever bother to play anything that isn't. lol
    You'll want to make an exception in this case IMHO ;)
  • Options

you could always run it through steam I do that with guild wars 2 
  • Options

you're missing out on a'lot.
  • Options
    It won't be on stream... at least at the start.

However there are still a chance, if it ends up failing, they probably try to sell it on steam to in about 3-5 years after release...
  • Options
    You can manually add it to steam if the overlays are important to you.

However, it is a relief that AoC won't be advertised on Steam for the sake of a healthy community.
    I've known Steam MMORPGers to be quite toxic and arrogant.
  • Options
    FliP said:

However, it is a relief that AoC won't be advertised on Steam for the sake of a healthy community.
    Isnt that a bit of a longshot to claim? We all should know that all playertypes are represented anywhere. I use steam.
  • Options
    Nacario said:
    FliP said:

Isnt that a bit of a longshot to claim? We all should know that all playertypes are represented anywhere. I use steam.
    Could be.

I am talking about my experience and why I am relieved AoC won't be on Steam (at launch).
    There can be exceptions, but as a general, I do not know them as a friendly bunch.
  • Options

And this is my favorite, after this discussion has gone in circles on Discord and people had given a guy the relevant quotes, he said basically, you don't know nuthin, we will see.........

• Options
    damn u beat me to the troll.

bleh
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited September 2018
    Is the only way to play going to be download through the Ashes of Creation website or will there be a Steam release for it as well?
    I'll ask what I usually ask when these threads come up. Why do you want the game on Steam?

All Steam is is a proprietary walled garden with DRM. It also robs developers of 30% of their revenue.

So I genuinely ask - what is the attraction to running things on Steam? 

https://fckdrm.com

• Options
    Steam is kind of handy because it’s a place to have a huge library of games all in one place and I can understand the appeal of having a single location to organize your gaming.  It also auto-updates everything for you.

On the other hand the only reason why I have such an extensive library on Steam is because 90% of the games I have there were free giveaways.  And at least another 5% were next to free (less than $5).  I don’t think I ever paid full price for anything I bought there.
  • Options
    FliP said:

That's pretty dumb, and false too.
    Also the player base health is irrelevant for them. What they care is the 30% cut.
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    akmaa said:
    FliP said:

Also the player base health is irrelevant for them. What they care is the 30% cut.
    well, ill leave the point about the comminity as is, since there is always toxic people, everywhere. cause human things.

though, i dont think its dumb or false.
    I dont think theres a reason to go for steam. 
    Even though im a steam user since beta, id never want to have AoC listed on their library. And at the moment im pretty damn sure IS wont need the game to be on Steam either anyway.
    The constantly growing Community, of a game which has no official Advertisement campain and still being far away from being released, gives me more than just hope that it will be good even without Steam. And im even more sure, that it isnt because of the 30% cut off LOL

Talking about cut offs *pointing at my referral link*  B)
  • Options
    I didn't realize steam took 30% of a games revenue. It's most likely better for them to not use Steam in that case, but it is handy not having to worry about separately patching every single game I play. lol
  • Options
    I don't get this whole desire to have games on Steam thing? Is it because of the achievements? or you can see how many hours you've played? Missing out on a lot and I am glad the game won't be on steam. 
  • Options
    I don't get this whole desire to have games on Steam thing? Is it because of the achievements? or you can see how many hours you've played? Missing out on a lot and I am glad the game won't be on steam. 
    Like I said, it's because it's a place to keep all of your games in one place and it also updates them all for you.
  • Options
    I dont want ppl to see my 2958739e93hdiri3iri48 hours of gameplay on steam
  • Options
    Juzy said:
    I dont want ppl to see my 2958739e93hdiri3iri48 hours of gameplay on steam
    Then no worries. It has been stated multiple times again and again that the game will never be on Steam.
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    akmaa said:
    FliP said:

your right Stream has a very toxic and politized MMO community...them and reddit and are trashcan toxic....