Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

The overall story experience epic or standard?

Mmo storylines are good sometimes but a lot of times the side quest  even little fillers in the main story are tedious and just brain dead boring. Ashes is saying that our actions affect the world, is that just saying by housing and life skill options or will like at a certain time of the year a horde invasion is pending with the nodes being at this time like dungeons as all manner of enemies can invade and the horde is not just defeated by killing the leader, like allied guilds would assemble their parties to explore and gather information about the impending doom and deep lore that if not completed within a set time they grow more in power leading for players to log in more because less forces the more powerful the enemy's. This would just be a side quest that is world involving that could possibly go on for a week because of the raised difficulty of monsters and their tactical attacks on our forces. The more reserved players don't have to be capped to play but be support like gathering supplies scouting enemy line and relaying messages to NPC and far way nodes. (This may seem long as hell to do for a game but most gamers want that immerse challenge that makes you think about what to do afterwards when you have no healer and you hold the info for the army weakness. we can finally put microphone to use my holding alliance meetings in a metropolis tavern to discuss our next move to end the corrupt kings rule.

Comments

• Options
    This is a mess but I think most people want the lore/story aspects of the game to be done as well as possible, for me it's one of the biggest reasons to play.
  • Options
    This is a mess but I think most people want the lore/story aspects of the game to be done as well as possible, for me it's one of the biggest reasons to play.
    Same here. as anyone who knows me will say I am a lore freak and one of the main pull for me was stevens idea of the lore. For me as long as the gameplay is ok but the lore is great im happy.
  • Options
    Agreed,  Great lore and a game that provides immersion in that lore is very important. These guys have even created basic lore for the testing scenario.  It is obviously important to the devs here.  I think the lore discovery through questing/exploring is excellent and cant wait to get into discovering it all.
  • Options
    We're hoping that a great deal of what makes the story epic are the rises and falls of cities and Metropolises and how the world changes accordingly.

• Options
    Dygz said:
    We're hoping that a great deal of what makes the story epic are the rises and falls of cities and Metropolises and how the world changes accordingly.

Well I love that I still want background lore about Verra before the fall and what happened. Ever since steven said about them main antagonist I was hyped to a whole no level
  • Options
    Didn't we get a quote that we are already heroes from Santus, but we are not "THE HERO" went it comes to main storyline? That the problem that so many have being the singular Chosen One in the narrative to their immersion won't happen when they are surrounded by 50 other Chosen Ones?
  • Options
    This is a bit beyond the scope of what’s mentioned in the topic, but I think it has been well clarified that lore is a huge part of AoC, so I’m going to continue. I’m wondering about the possibilities of lore-focused Guild existing. I feel as though credit (financial, as well as recognition) for relevant lore-based discoveries should be given to players/guilds. Maybe not a huge amount, but enough so that a successful explorational guild that focuses primarily on discovering new information/lore could exist equally alongside other guilds that craft or raid. It seems like something a lot of people would be interested in, right @nagash?
  • Options
    Sikuba said:
    This is a bit beyond the scope of what’s mentioned in the topic, but I think it has been well clarified that lore is a huge part of AoC, so I’m going to continue. I’m wondering about the possibilities of lore-focused Guild existing. I feel as though credit (financial, as well as recognition) for relevant lore-based discoveries should be given to players/guilds. Maybe not a huge amount, but enough so that a successful explorational guild that focuses primarily on discovering new information/lore could exist equally alongside other guilds that craft or raid. It seems like something a lot of people would be interested in, right @nagash?
    Indeed
  • Options
    Once upon a time there were four evil gods who decided to have a contest. They found a deserted world named Verra and set their armies upon it to see who would win. The first god chose dwarves because of their superior weapons, the second god chose elves for their skill with weapons, the third god chose humans for their intelligence, and the fourth god chose Tulnar for their ferocious feral nature. 

The evil gods cheered when they set down their armies and they began to fight for control of the planet, but then something unexpected began to happen. Before any army could win they began making peace and becoming friends. "Nooo!" Cried the evil gods. "You must fight to see who is strongest!" But the people would not fight, so the evil gods created Orcs and set them upon Verra to reignite the wars and the battles began anew. The evil gods cheered!

But once again. Peace began to prevail. Instead of killing the orcs, everyone began to accept them and the wars started coming to an end again. This angered the evil gods. "Why don't you fight!?" They cried! "Maim, kill, murder! What good are you!?" And so the evil gods landed on Verra themselves and began to sow division, hatred, and racism among the people.  They tempted them will all manner of greed, goods, and power, and enticed them to fight among themselves. 

At first it worked, but what the evil gods did not expect is that the people of Verra had created their own gods. Gods of goodness, peace, and patience. Gods of charity, love, and altruism, and the people fought back against the evil gods.  They fought back against the evil gods, trapping and imprisoning them. The people of Verra defeated their evil masters and chose goodness over evil. 

But the forces of darkness had one last trump card and they played it. The people of Verra had no choice but to evacuate the planet for a world named Sanctus where they could regroup and plan and come back stronger than ever.

And that's where we are today.

(I just made that up btw. It's not the official lore.)
  • Options
    Man I just hope that a email comes in saying ( a world shaping event is about to be unfolded) then for the next few days people are wondering what is happening but without any notice given on a deserted island across the great sea the army of the undead is gathering. The horde king from the last world war had set off the ancient curse before his death by the hands of the players to engulf the world but lucky an adventures guild after exploring the darklands of the east had discovered a scroll containing ruin signs that when placed in the undead stronghold would destroy the curse but the land has not completed its recovery from the last battle the people's spirit is broke and warrior's armour mangled. A voyage across the sea would be too dangerous how shall the alliance handle these new worries.
  • Options
    That should just be the natural consequences of progressing nodes.

• Options
    Ashes is saying that our actions affect the world (...) will like at a certain time of the year a horde invasion is pending with the nodes being at this time like dungeons as all manner of enemies can invade (...) This would just be a side quest that is world involving that could possibly go on for a week because of the raised difficulty of monsters and their tactical attacks on our forces. (...)
    So to answer at least part of your question.
    Nodes will be sieged by npcs from time to time, one specific example was given with metropolis level nodes. Once a node reaches that level it may awaken a dragon (or whatever cataclysmic threat is nearby) that has slumbered in a nearby mountain (sea/cave/vulcano) for aeons.
    It won't just come out and attack, but there will be a chain of events leading up to it and it is in the players responsibility to gather intel on it as well warn fellow players from the threat to prepare and make a stand against it.

How far and deep this scenario? We don't know.
    In the end it may just be a slaughtering feast in 5 parts but it may also be interconnected with different quests to understand what and when the enemy is coming and/or quests to build suitable city defenses, war machines and player gear as well as/or weakening the hordes/main threat before they actually attack.

What it will be in the end remains to be seen.
  • Options
    I do believe that being some sort of scholar in the history of Vera is a possibility.