Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

What to do/play until the launch of AoC?

Either I am getting too old and tired of playing MMORPGs or there is currently a big void in the scene.
Many of the current MMORPGs are either build on a F2P+P2W model which is just focusing on a quick money grab and are not build to sustain and/or dying because of a very low and declining player base.

There are only a handful of bigger/popular MMOs which seem to have survived but for me those feel 'outdated' or are no longer fitting my prefered way of playing (e.g. a bit more action oriented). 

I really regret not buying into Alpha 1 access. :(
At least then I could have had something to play in the next 1 - 1.5 years....

What are you doing/playing to kill the time until the launch of AoC?

Comments

• Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited October 2018
    I'm playing the waiting game... wait for 2080s to come out, be sad.. now waiting for the 9900k's to release.. bet they will be out-of-stock in minutes, be sad.. waiting for component prices to raise do to tariffs, be sad.. watching SSD and Memory prices plummet, very happy!
    Video Game wise, about to start my 42ed run thru of Skyrim... Sadly.. The MMO field right now is a sad one.. ug..
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited October 2018
    I have way to many unplayed games in my Steam and GoG libraries from bundles and sales, I have absolutely no reason to complain about a lack of games...
     My GW2 account sits dormant...lost interest.
    tried private WoW and warhammer online servers..lost interest.

It's not so much about killing time for me, it's more about finding the right place to "call home" for lack of a better term.

I too am feeling the 'getting to old for this', but i think it's mostly due to the industry and consumer base becoming complicit to flavor of the month cash grabs with no long term vision and shrinking attention spans.

just made a retro-pie emulation box for under $100 to revisit my 8-16bit era.

• Options
    Thinking on this more.. I had Twitch Prime (free thru Amazon Prime) and Twitch was/is giving away 5 or 6 games a month.. Free to keep forever.. Last month I canceled my Amazon Prime (in turn canceling Twitch Prime).. But I still have access to all those games thru the Twitch Launcher.. There must be 25 or 30 games in there by now.. I guess i could explore some of those..
  • Options
    Skyrim for me, i tried other mmo games. Tried getting back into gw2. But for some reason I just cant get into theme park mmo's anymore. 
  • Options
    Tera on console currently. Will be playing Fallout 76 and Red Dead 2 when they release. I HOPE that Anthem will be good as well . . . but the publisher behind it . . . I have a bad feeling about it. Definitely not a game you want to pre-order. It will be a wait and see kind of game.
  • Options
    Life is Feudal: Your own
    Super fun game. They limit wildlife, so the game feels barren. There are no NPCs, so it feels empty. The MMO version has a few more features. Some people love this game, others hate it. I got a few hundred hours out of it and had a blast. Depending on your playstyle you may get 5 hrs or 5k hours.

Black Desert Online
    Straight up, one of the most fun games out on the market. Period. This is one that if you have never tried, you must. Be warned, it brings P2W to a new level. You are NOT forced to pay, as some people say. You can get a ton of playtime and loads of fun out of it without paying a dime on the game shop. You always see people comparing combat in a game to BDO or comparing the graphics of a game to BDO. Maybe it is time for you to learn why?

Crowfall
    This game is in alpha. A lot of people love it. It is alpha though and the graphics, ui, skills, combat, blah, blah all need to be worked on. They have recently allowed all pledge levels to participate in testing. Yes, even the $50 one.

Ark: Survival Evolved
    I am listing this game because you asked for something that could keep you entertained for 1-1.5yrs. There is a reason this game always stays high up on the Steam charts. People who play it bitch, but they bitch lovingly while they log right back in. There is no monthly fee, so after the initial investment, there is no more out of pocket. There is also no P2W at all. The top players are top because of skill (or exploits, your pick). Sit around your base and raise baby dinos or go out and kill other people. What better way to spend the day?

I am not listing Archeage, Wurm, Citadel or any of the others that most people install and then uninstall. There are so many games out there that may fit your playstyle, it is hard for others to list.

• Options
    Waithing for skyrim together to come out....eventually....
  • Options
    eeeeb said:
    Either I am getting too old and tired of playing MMORPGs or there is currently a big void in the scene.

Same.... :)
    Not playing mmos atm, because i cant find one i like.
    For single players - iam playing Pathfinder Kingmaker since yesterday, ill like it so far.

• Options
    My fall back game currently is Ark, I can easily sink days into this game just running round killing shit, base building, and running caves. And with a new expansion coming out next month I'll have a new world to explore.
  • Options
    Any RTS or turn-based game. got to take over the world some where
  • Options
    Play the Piano, it takes a while until it starts sounding good, and by then ashes will be out =)
  • Options
    currently maxing in oldschool runescape :D 
  • Options
    I don't play anything new because nothing is good enough.
    Currently playing wrath wow private server.

• Options
    just embrace VR Chat T.T , it may not be an MMORPG, but at least its social
  • Options
    If you aren't getting your fix with modern gaming, go back to the old school masterpieces.
    - Winston Churchill

Two words: Super Nintendo.
    1. Super Mario games (including Yoshi's island)
    2. Nobunaga's Ambition
    3. Super Mario RPG, Legend of the Seven Stars (still one of my fav RPGs)
    4. Smash TV
    5. SNES DK games
    6. Super Ghouls and Ghosts
    7. Contra 3
    8. Pocky and Rocky 2
    9. Mystic Quest
    X. Megaman X

Will throw in Nintendo 64 for good measure
    1. Goldeneye 00 Agent run and co-op shenanigans (still difficult bc it is by far the worst controls of any game I've played)
    2. Crash Bandicoot
    3. Star Fox
    4. Diddy Kong Racing (funny, I had a very hard time playing the mirror levels 15 years ago, and to this day it still feels backwards to me even though I haven't played the 'forward' tracks in years)
    5. Banjo Kazooie
  • Options
    I am thinking of renting a cryosleep chamber to wait out my days until next year winter probably. The wait is not much compared on a MMO developing scale but this is too much for me the hype is too real. I wish i found out about this game 2 days before the realease jsut like i was with Archeage.  :'(
  • Options
    I could play Real Life for a bit but honestly that game kind of sucks... The graphics are good, solid framerates at 16k resolution..  but the game play....perma-death, really?! and the community.. ug..
  • Options
    Right now i'm playing a lot of single player games to completion.  I'm playing Two-Point Hospital right now
  • Options
    Eq 2(at least there is a class which suit my playstyle) and DDO a bit
    mb Fo76 later
  • Options
    Ive been playing will to live online. A fps survival mmo. But just like other games and early access stuff. The population is very bad. And has now lost my interest leaving me yet again without a game to play to pass the time to ashes
  • Options
    nagash said:
    With a name that Nagash. I do hope that you have Total War Warhammer 1 and 2 Lol
  • Options
    Good old Might and Magic
  • Options
    nagash said:
    With a name that Nagash. I do hope that you have Total War Warhammer 1 and 2 Lol
    I do indeed I also have a few table top armies ^^
  • Options
    Although I've got the alpha access my machine is too garbage to run AoC at anything resembling playable in busy areas so I'm mostly waiting to build a new machine closer to release.

Until then my game time is rather limited anyway and sometimes get a couple of hours a night, and when I do I decided to pick up GW2 again.  I've still got loads of content left in there to complete so gives me something to aim towards and should keep me busy until closer to AoC release!

Throw in the odd game of Dota 2 when I'm needed as a stand-in by friends.
  • Options
    @cafcmatt could you please post what pc you have or msg me that is. I am curiouse as to what i will need to run it on atleast low, so this way i can use it as a near refference.
  • Options
    @KawasakiNinja it wouldn't be fair to say now because obviously its still early in the build and so optimization wont be on Intrepids list of priorities; and as far as I know there haven't been any recommended minimum specs published by them either.

If you look at other current hi-fidelity games being produced in the UE4 engine it can give you something to gauge by.  For example:

PUBG minimum system requirements
    Processor: Intel Core i5-4430 / AMD FX-6300
    Memory: 8 GB RAM
    Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 2GB / AMD Radeon R7 370 2GB 
    DirectX: Version 11

PUBG recommended system requirements
    Processor: AMD Ryzen 5-1600 / Intel Core i5-7600K
    Memory: 8 GB RAM
    Graphics: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB or better
    (source: https://www.pcgamer.com/uk/pubg-system-requirements/)

However the main issue for my machine regardless is that i'm running windows 7 (no DX12) and have a 2nd generation i7 which is now throttling the rest of the system.
    I was looking to build a new machine anyway so timing this with the Ashes release is a no brainer.