Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

"WhAt'S tHe DeAl WiTh AcTiOn CoMbAt?"

Yeah, okay, I know there are at least a billion threads about it now and I may sound like a broken record at this point ... but I am struggling to see how so many people think it won't work. Sure, things need to be tested, but I don't think people should worry about different stats affecting different play-styles? Maybe I'm missing something a bout action combat here, but I can't see any problems with them co-existing. Perhaps a very passionate individual can try to explain it to me?

Comments

• Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited October 2018
    Well, at it's simplest, a "tab target" implies you're rolling the dice against a specific target and can't miss (well, the statistical probabilities decide).

But with action, you have a very real chance to miss your target, stats be damned.

So it's very tough to balance two abilities where 1 will miss by default unless you aim, and 1 will hit by default.

I love both styles, but bringing them together and across so many class possibilities will be very difficult. And it will take a lot of dev resource to maintain them afterward, which will be a constant battle.

Just my thoughts... incorrect, maybe they are :)

• Options
    Lethality said:
    Well, at it's simplest, a "tab target" implies you're rolling the dice against a specific target and can't miss (well, the statistical probabilities decide).

But with action, you have a very real chance to miss your target, stats be damned.
    Well, I understand the difference between them. I guess I am just underestimating the amount of effort balancing the two will take.
  • Options
    People mentality "I have seen xyz action combat system, they are all shit"- end of story. That's literally 99% of the reasoning behind those vocal minorities. The same way "this ui is shit it will stay until release" happened for months.
    Uneducated or just wanting to be a thorn in your side.

Just look at the debakle with the bear and the shit just one person can cause.

It's best to not read to much into it. What are you going to argue about? They haven't show any implementation of actioncombat yet. People claiming they work in the industry are especially pathetic, "I can't do it so noone else can."
    Just remember, it is mostly always a vocal minority complaining about shit they haven't seen yet.
  • Options
    Lots of people said you could fall off the edge of the Earth and so should stay away.
    Lots of people thought the speed of trains would be lethal to humans.
    Lots of people said airplanes and flying would be a very bad idea.
    No doubt sitting in a can at the bottom of the mid Atlantic, some would also call plain insanity.
    And yet....we do them regardless.

There are those who cant and so achieve nothing in life.....and then there are those who can. Those who dare.
    And the naysayers stand in awe and wonder and say.....impossible...amazeballs.
    Someone once said the only thing to fear is fear itself.
    Obviously an insignificant madman ;)
    Sometimes I can empathise with being a rabid dog on a leash.
  • Options
    I came here expecting a Seinfeld bit...

Sorely disappointed.
  • Options
    What's the deal with the text?
  • Options

Lots of people thought the speed of trains would be lethal to humans.

depends, are we talking inside the train, or the part where ur face is momentarily ingrained on the front of it?:o
  • Options
    nagash said:
    What's the deal with the text?
    It's called being creative you corpse :3
  • Options
    Karthos said:
    I came here expecting a Seinfeld bit...

Sorely disappointed.
    Yeah, I kinda did that to draw attention to the thread. My deepest apologies...
  • Options
    Tab targeting doesn't at all imply a system of hit or miss based on chance. That's an altogether different system added to what tab targeting can do.
  • Options
    Minizem said:
    Yeah, okay, I know there are at least a billion threads about it now and I may sound like a broken record at this point ... but I am struggling to see how so many people think it won't work. Sure, things need to be tested, but I don't think people should worry about different stats affecting different play-styles? Maybe I'm missing something a bout action combat here, but I can't see any problems with them co-existing. Perhaps a very passionate individual can try to explain it to me?
    It could work, Steven mentioned in his latest stream that the right blend of action and tab target is the "Holy Grail" of an MMORPG. That's why with their new system to integrate both aspects that "feel good" to the player is being tested on and focused on so early in their alpha 1 before all the regular aspects of an MMO will be tested (guilds, loot, party playing, PvE, etc.). They want to make sure their combat system is perfect before they concentrate on everything else. 

So far with what we've seen with alpha 1 stress testing things seem smooth and IMHO the combat system "does" feel good to the player. The only issues are bugs that prevent players from logging in and not the combat system per say.