Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Efficiency of Servers Between Continents

Greetings.  I joined an Oceana Guild.  That means I probably want to play on their server from the US.  Rumor has it @deathsproxy is in the EU and may play on a US Server.  Will I see any substantial degradation of gameplay from the US, being adventurous and playing on an Oceana Server?   I'm in no way an IT person.  Please explain this in simple terms.  Do you recommend a US based computer playing on an Oceana Server given certain technical drawbacks?  Many thanks. Skaff. 

Comments

• Options
    Hey , woot :DDD hahaahha i'm not an admin or like this bro hehehe
  • Options
    The most obvious drawback is input latency.
    [ For example you walked out of the fire on your screen but still get damaged for example. You press a button and you see the reaction on screen immidiatly, but there is a timelag until it actually registers with the game and other players.]
    Nowadays it's not that crazy anymore but the difference between 160 ms (which would be something you might experience from US to OCE)  and 40ms is noticable. (emphazis on >>noticeable<<, to what degree depends on several factors beginning with the quality of your own connection to the network itself)

That said as long as you do not switch around a lot between servers that are US based and servers that are not, you will get used to it fast enough and probably not notice it at all after some time.

Do I recommend it? Not really. Does it matter? Depends, it's like a self inflicted handicap.
  • Options

Efficiency of Servers Between Continents

What a peculiar guild name. 

• Options
    I asked Steven this question and he gave a response that did not say much besides there will be nothing to worry about, but this response did not give much confidence seeing how its effected gameplay in the past years. Sooooo take what you will but you will probably see a good bit of impacted gameplay