Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Dungeon Mechanics***

Hi, Im the fisherman from the future. I have to say I really enjoyed the dungeon mechanic. Where there was a trap that would be triggered. However if you had a rogue with you.. They could stealth/sneak through it and deactivate. So the other team mates could pass!!

Hmm I hope to see a secret fishing spot so I can catch rare fish in the dungeon. So I can sell it for a huge amount to Blank.. that rich bast@$!..

All in all, what kind of cool mechanics would you my fellow friends.. and enemies.. and fishes..?? like to see in dungeons or in the world? That is not only kill until you get to boss/treasure? ^_^

Comments

• Options
    When I played WoW, it always annoyed me how everyone would huddle around the boss spawn and it would be a race to see who could kill it first. The thing I'm looking forward to most in AoC dungeons is how instead of trying to out-spam your opponent, it will probably escalate into an epic pvp fight for the boss drops. Not really a dungeon mechanic, but an inevitable consequence of the world itself.

Also, with enthusiasm like that, I will be very disappointed if you do not become the most legendary fisherman Verra has ever seen.
  • Options
    Ok so just a question here. Those open world types doungeons that the world will have, how exactly are they gonna work as a doungeon? Are they just gonna be something like a huge labyrint sort of doungeon that has enough space for people to get lost into until they find the boss, and then spawn camp that boss so you can get it?
    Are we going to have to wait out the corridor of mobs to spawn so we can get some aswell? How do you guys think its going to work. I totally dont mind PVPing or PKing to get what i want inside if people are not cooperative, so this is not a rant of sort, just curiouse as how its going to be represented when i start to play this game in the future.
  • Options
    Minizem said:
    When I played WoW, it always annoyed me how everyone would huddle around the boss spawn and it would be a race to see who could kill it first. The thing I'm looking forward to most in AoC dungeons is how instead of trying to out-spam your opponent, it will probably escalate into an epic pvp fight for the boss drops. Not really a dungeon mechanic, but an inevitable consequence of the world itself.

Also, with enthusiasm like that, I will be very disappointed if you do not become the most legendary fisherman Verra has ever seen.
    I can tell you that it will not be a people trying to out-spam standing next to the boss to get the kill. In my timeline.. they made the boss have interesting mechanics that you would need to learn by dying. These mechanics needed people to somewhat strategically use their spells.. Since the boss for example could have this spell that reflected all the damage received for 2 seconds twice as strong, where the team instead stopped hitting and just dodged other things. Each boss and it's lair had to basically be learned. Some classes helped in figuring out these elements. Although truth be told this timeline might be slightly different.. I just hope they dont make the Rogue/cleric class as overpowered.. since it was a fun class!

As for me being the legendar fisherman.. I have accomplished a status close to that.. I think the most known fishermen was Leaf. He was also a very strong military dictator who ruled one of the Metropolis that was close to the sea/river, and had a beautiful flying mount.. Hope he doesn't exist in this world.. so he doesn't keep taking my fish.
  • Options
    Intrepid have said they want to have ever changing mechanics so that the 1st group to beat a dungeon will not be able to write a guide and the dungeon will no longer be a challenge.  Whether this will come to fruition is yet to be seen.  That would be very cool tho.  this would mean @XMehdiX you would have to look for the new location of said fishing hole every time rather than just learning its location and rushing to it every run......   We can but hope.
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited October 2018
    any chance we end up in the same server, may I have the pleasure of buying the first fish you catch?

on the subject at hand, i would love to see each role having an impact on the dungeon, whether it's the environment, boss and even the mobs, and hopefully it will be as challenging as it should be

• Options
    Intrepid have said they want to have ever changing mechanics so that the 1st group to beat a dungeon will not be able to write a guide and the dungeon will no longer be a challenge.  Whether this will come to fruition is yet to be seen.  That would be very cool tho.  this would mean @XMehdiX you would have to look for the new location of said fishing hole every time rather than just learning its location and rushing to it every run......   We can but hope.
    I accept the challenge of finding new holes! fishing holes that is.. erm.. yah!! I'm sure crafters will appreciate that rare hole.. uh fish.. the FISH!

An ever changing mechanic would be very fun. Although hopefully not drastically, maybe just some slight variations, that way dying/losing trying to get through it would still give the players some feedback on how to improve? Who knows, fishing holes here I come!!

Juzy said:
    any chance we end up in the same server, may I have the pleasure of buying the first fish you catch?

on the subject at hand, i would love to see each role having an impact on the dungeon, whether it's the environment, boss and even the mobs, and hopefully it will be as challenging as it should be

Yes you may, that would make me a happy fisherman! <3

Yes, each role having some sort of impact on the dungeon would be amazing. It would make other classes worth investing time on!!

I remember in one of the past games I played, people only wanted dmg, tank and healer. It made other classes have hard time going through the game and not achieve certain feats without paying someone to help them. Since it was way harder and longer to do it with those other classes.
  • Options
    Was it Runescape where you could fish in dungeons are am im wrong?
  • Options
    Meaningful. Normally you go do a dungeon to kill a boss or a drop for a predetermined item. The concept of delving in a dungeon on the hunt for clues as part of an epic adventure, is now lost....or at least confined to lip service. In one any adversaries you come across is an impediment but not the objective. In the other the roleplay becomes an impediment and the boss the objective.

So it would be smart IMHO to meld the two. Have dungeon bosses be part of questlines that force you through other dungeons and unrelated bosses. The you create a chicken and egg dilemna.
  • Options
    XMehdiX said:
    I accept the challenge of finding new holes! fishing holes that is.. erm.. yah!! I'm sure crafters will appreciate that rare hole.. uh fish.. the FISH!

An ever changing mechanic would be very fun. Although hopefully not drastically, maybe just some slight variations, that way dying/losing trying to get through it would still give the players some feedback on how to improve? Who knows, fishing holes here I come!!

Juzy said:

Yes you may, that would make me a happy fisherman! <3

Yes, each role having some sort of impact on the dungeon would be amazing. It would make other classes worth investing time on!!

I remember in one of the past games I played, people only wanted dmg, tank and healer. It made other classes have hard time going through the game and not achieve certain feats without paying someone to help them. Since it was way harder and longer to do it with those other classes.
    The trick will not be in learning the AI adpative capibility of each boss. The trick will be in bringing a well rounded group that can rise to any occasion. If you plug the holes in your team mates weaknesses, you are less likely to have those weaknesses exposed.
  • Options
    Intrepid have said they want to have ever changing mechanics so that the 1st group to beat a dungeon will not be able to write a guide and the dungeon will no longer be a challenge.  Whether this will come to fruition is yet to be seen.  That would be very cool tho. 
    It indeed is going to have to be seen how this will turn out. However, I am taking these notions with little more than a massive grain of salt. The variables it will be based upon are likely to be unraveled first of all, and secondly, the impact of such randomness will have to be limited to prevent it from being a balancing nightmare.
  • Options
    nagash said:
    You could fish in some ESO dungeons.
  • Options
    nagash said:
    You could fish in some ESO dungeons.
    That must be what I was thinking about 
  • Options
    I believe I heard that dungeons will have multiple entrances.  So I want wrong turns and connectors that take you out another entrance.

Gang of adventurers, all gung ho to get to the boss, wander around halfway to forever, come out not even getting within smelling distance of the boss where I sell them a map that is days old and completely obsolete. 
  • Options
    Lusiphur said:
    I believe I heard that dungeons will have multiple entrances.  So I want wrong turns and connectors that take you out another entrance.

Gang of adventurers, all gung ho to get to the boss, wander around halfway to forever, come out not even getting within smelling distance of the boss where I sell them a map that is days old and completely obsolete. 
    I really dig this idea. This could be used for other things too!! Like.. maps for fishing spots in a dungeon that you would usually not find if you didn't find it by luck. 

However, what if you can find the path to the boss by following some kind of puzzle that was written on the wall? A player that worked hard to find the path and they could offer players to show them the way for a price? that could also be awesome! We could try that with fishing spots first to test it :D
  • Options
    I hope, where possible, there isn't one set location for a boss to spawn. Maybe a few "boss rooms" where the boss might spawn so you really get that dungeon crawl experience even if you know the layout. It could also help spread out the clutter depending on how many parties are in the dungeon, it sucks to think you are the fisherman but then become the fish.