Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

NPC permanency

Just curious as to how named/quest aligned NPCs will work in nodes. They will re-spawn right? Mainly I am asking in the context of the PvE events that are triggered where monsters attack the city. I believe it was mentioned that monsters can destroy or de-level nodes but do they do permanent NPC damage? 

I think making NPCs killed during some event take longer (even days) to re-spawn would be a good way to further incentivize players that participate in the node, to really care about protecting it and feel like the world interacts with it.

If I knew I may not be able to access my storage or something today if the dragon kills all the bankers I would be super motivated to defend it. On the flip side, if I had a monster coin I'd go straight for some key NPCs (like bankers) for the lols.

Comments

• Options
    They have said that npcs can die during events and sieges and the same npcs may not be available after all is over and done with. Instead of turning in your baking quest to Bob the Baker, most likely Cathy the Cakemaker may accept the turn in. They also are not depending on npcs for a majority of the "questing." While there may be "traditional" talk to this npc, get quest, do quest, then talk to npc again, they are going to try different approaches to questing through a "tasks" system and others.
  • Options
    If your town gets attacked due to a world event, you may have some NPCs that get eaten.

Don't let Sorrow's Hunger rummage around in town.  Organize people and kill him.

• Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited October 2018
    They have said that npcs can die during events and sieges and the same npcs may not be available after all is over and done with. Instead of turning in your baking quest to Bob the Baker, most likely Cathy the Cakemaker may accept the turn in. They also are not depending on npcs for a majority of the "questing." While there may be "traditional" talk to this npc, get quest, do quest, then talk to npc again, they are going to try different approaches to questing through a "tasks" system and others.
    Right but then in the case of quest NPCs their death is completely meaningless and might as well not happen, like it would make no difference then if the NPC just re-spawned. At most the quest acquisition/turn-in point just changes in the node.

I guess an implicit part of my question is: will there be any NPC death in the node that will actually matter? And for how long? Especially in the PvE events where my node is supposed to feel "threatened".
  • Options
    Jahlon said:
    If your town gets attacked due to a world event, you may have some NPCs that get eaten.
    Right, but would that matter for gameplay? Or does that just add sentimental/RP value which don't get me wrong, is already cool... like everything else in this game haha.
  • Options
    Don't have confirmation on them making dead end quest turn in a thing, but most likely that would be a no. If the npc that was a quest giver died you can bet there will be a way to complete it, the hue hue hue from people pissed off over it just wouldn't be worth it for them. Now if that npc dies, will that particular quest be available in the node again? Probably not. So will a npc death matter? Not really. Just like most people who die irl don't really affect the world in any way. In the time it took me to write this, literally thousands of people died.
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    Don't have confirmation on them making dead end quest turn in a thing, but most likely that would be a no. If the npc that was a quest giver died you can bet there will be a way to complete it, the hue hue hue from people pissed off over it just wouldn't be worth it for them. Now if that npc dies, will that particular quest be available in the node again? Probably not. So will a npc death matter? Not really. Just like most people who die irl don't really affect the world in any way. In the time it took me to write this, literally thousands of people died.
    Well aren't you a ray of sunshine? 

So any info or personal thoughts on non-questing NPCs of consequence? e.g. bankers?

Edit: and to clarify, I do not at all endorse or suggest dead-end quests. But some meaningful delay between re-spawn or re-assignment of a new NPC would feel good to me.
  • Options
    Just like real life there will be replacements for essential services. Kill a banker, soon enough there will be someone else to take his place. Sieges are not going to be happening all the time. The idea that you will get to screw with someone's day by denying them access to their node bank for example just isn't going to be worth it. Sure the npc will prolly be trying to defend their district in town during the siege, but if you think that people are not going to be able to do essential services because you happened to kill Cecil the Banker not going to happen. Now if a node is deleveled to the point that a bank or other optional built service is no longer available, that is a different story. But in the case of a failed siege, just because you killed Cecil, his VP of marketing Percy will step up and be the new guy for you to click on.
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    Just like real life there will be replacements for essential services. Kill a banker, soon enough there will be someone else to take his place. Sieges are not going to be happening all the time. The idea that you will get to screw with someone's day by denying them access to their node bank for example just isn't going to be worth it. Sure the npc will prolly be trying to defend their district in town during the siege, but if you think that people are not going to be able to do essential services because you happened to kill Cecil the Banker not going to happen. Now if a node is deleveled to the point that a bank or other optional built service is no longer available, that is a different story. But in the case of a failed siege, just because you killed Cecil, his VP of marketing Percy will step up and be the new guy for you to click on.
    I'm focusing on the PvE events, I hope nobody is going to initiate a siege with the primary goal of messing with banking lol I get that. Also, to take part in the monster coin system you have to be a citizen of the node in question so you can't mess with other peoples' nodes this way, just your own. Edit: you can only participate as a monster in a monster event that is NOT in your node of citizenship.

My main point is that if a dragon comes through (or sure, even if a siege occurs) there should be temporary damage to the node. It could be repairs to buildings or missing NPCs that put a utility like a bank or quest temporarily out of order, but either way I think that would be cool for several reasons like immersion and a potential resource sink. I don't want life to continue on as normal just minutes after a dragon rolled through. If you walk into your city immediately after it was attacked by a zombie horde, I want to notice something has happened and be dragged into repairs or defense to carry on with other node/life stuff. The game is already full of other incidental events and occurrences that may get in the way of what you were doing/planning to do.

In any case, we'll just have to wait to see as more information rolls in. I hope Steven and the team has something like this in mind :).
  • Options
    NeuroGuy said:

I'm focusing on the PvE events, I hope nobody is going to initiate a siege with the primary goal of messing with banking lol I get that. Also, to take part in the monster coin system you have to be a citizen of the node in question so you can't mess with other peoples' nodes this way, just your own.

Umm, I don't know where you are getting the info that you have to be a citizen of a node to use a monster coin in that node. That is not how the system described will work. What will happen is that there will be a monster coin event somewhere in the world take place. If you have a corresponding coin, you will have the option to click on it and join a queue. Once the event starts if you are part of it you will be transported to the event in your monster form, take part in the event, and when done you will be transported back to your original position. Monster coin events can and will mess with city services and those services if damaged enough during the event will have to be repaired or rebuilt. A node cannot be deleveled due to a monster coin event, but there will be tangible effects to it. Monster coin events will not take place in a particular node that is under a siege declaration. Monster coin events are totally random, people will not "call" for them to start or be able to target a specific node. There are several quotes out there on this.
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    UnknownSystemError said:
    Umm, I don't know where you are getting the info that you have to be a citizen of a node to use a monster coin in that node. 
    Woops, it's the opposite my bad. Re-read the wiki: you cannot participate as a monster in monster events that occur in a node you are a citizen of.

Monster coin events can and will mess with city services and those services if damaged enough during the event will have to be repaired or rebuilt. 
    This is what I was looking for :smile: but we first danced around quests and sieges :P cheers.
  • Options
    Just try not to get attached to the npc's, they will be dead soon enough xD
  • Options
    I'm hoping the NPCs will not be the typical stand around and act like nothing is happening when chaos reigns all around them.  I would love for NPCs to react to what is happening like helping to fight or run off and hide.
  • Options
    Note to self. Find some banker in game named Cecil and start a siege just to kill him and mess with people*

T-Elf said:
    I'm hoping the NPCs will not be the typical stand around and act like nothing is happening when chaos reigns all around them.  I would love for NPCs to react to what is happening like helping to fight or run off and hide.

If you ever played octopath traveler, i really like the npcs they had. Whilst many didn't have names every npc had character and had their own unique story to them. Granted it is a 2D jrpg, it was still refreshing to talk to people and realize they felt real and not just throw away characters just there to fill the screen. I hope ashes manages to do this. Of course not every npc needs to give a quest but giving everyone that you can talk to some character would be great. Of course i understand that creating an individual story for every npc would be a difficult task and all but hey, Octopath managed it. Although their world is a hell of a lot smaller than ashes will be. 

• Options
    Note to self. Find some banker in game named Cecil and start a siege just to kill him and mess with people*

Can this please happen? Lmao "Cecil the banker" would be an omen of war.
  • Options
    NeuroGuy said:

Message Steven about it in discord. #CeciltheBanker 
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    Jahlon said:

Don't let Sorrow's Hunger rummage around in town.  Organize people and kill him.

Do NPCs taste like chicken?
  • Options
    NeuroGuy said:

I mean I'll try but we need some more people to champion the cause.

I think once a siege is initiated. An NPC named Cecil The Banker should spawn at the local bank with the guild name <first day at work>. Cecil will have 1 HP and run towards conflict.

Cecil will not last long.
  • Options
    MESSAGE EVERYONE! Have the entire forum like and support the message @NeuroGuy made. If we could get 1000+ likes on it and tag steven, then MAYBE we can make that happen. lmao
  • Options
    MESSAGE EVERYONE! Have the entire forum like and support the message @NeuroGuy made. If we could get 1000+ likes on it and tag steven, then MAYBE we can make that happen. lmao
    Hahaha, I'll try :P
  • Options
    NeuroGuy said:
    NeuroGuy said:

I mean I'll try but we need some more people to champion the cause.

I think once a siege is initiated. An NPC named Cecil The Banker should spawn at the local bank with the guild name <first day at work>. Cecil will have 1 HP and run towards conflict.

Cecil will not last long.
    Cecil should have an Ultimate Attack. If no one bothered to kill him, he should unleash a devestating attack on the Attackers. It would be: "Holy ****! Cecil the Banker is coming."
  • Options
    Augentier said:
    Cecil should have an Ultimate Attack. If no one bothered to kill him, he should unleash a devestating attack on the Attackers. It would be: "Holy ****! Cecil the Banker is coming."
    Lol building up a spirit bomb with 1hp? 
  • Options
    NeuroGuy said:
    Augentier said:
    Well i was thinking of something which doesn't draw to much attention on Cecil.
    And maybe less devastating than a spirit bomb.
    Why not give him the "Wooden sword of AoE-stun". Everytime he lands a blow enemies in a 10 Meter Radius are stunned for 10 Seconds. That would be devestating enough.

• Options
    Augentier said:
    NeuroGuy said:
    Augentier said:
    Well i was thinking of something which doesn't draw to much attention on Cecil.
    And maybe less devastating than a spirit bomb.
    Why not give him the "Wooden sword of AoE-stun". Everytime he lands a blow enemies in a 10 Meter Radius are stunned for 10 Seconds. That would be devestating enough.

Don't forget he attacks every 2 seconds, so once you are stunned he will do 5 damage per hit until you are dead. The AoE gets an additional meter of range for every person he hits as well :) Some people might have 10k+ health :l SLOW AND PAINFUL DEATH