Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

How To Reign In Climbing. "Loose Rock"

ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
edited October 2018 in Ashes of Creation Design
Hi. Obviously I'm interested in a climbing mechanic. I think there are several compelling reasons for adding it.

Here are some ideas for mechanics to add to limit climbing or make it level dependent.

1. Loose rock. Mountain climbers don't just always succeed. Some of them die. That's just the nature of the endeavor. Falling to your death should be a risk you take with certain attempted climbs. Even in real life certain mountains are rated for beginners to those rated for the most skilled of climbers.

2. Nesting Birds/animals. Have you seen cliff side birds nesting in rock? Why not have similar animals attack players and do the exact same thing as "Loose rock" but instead of unsafe handholds being the problem, you're literally being attacked by birds/beasts that pluck at you.

3. Equipment hurdles. Who's to say you can't climb everything with the right gear, its just a matter of having it, and its durability. It doesn't necessarily have to be difficult to climb, it just has to be your primary objective given equipment constraints could just limit what nonsense you can get up to once you're high up. Instead of limiting your world because you're scared your players will abuse map design, whip your players and make them work for it, and make climbing the objective of climbing...although I think its the most boring suggestion I think its one of the easiest to

4. Runes of Warding. Need a castle wall to not be climbed on...its as simple as saying its warded by magical runes. You could even gamify it and have destroying them being an objective. Perhaps at a scheduled time your NPC magic caster's can dispel the runes, before the enemy NPC's can reapply them.

Comments

• ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited October 2018
    Why bother climbing when you can teleport ? savages....
  • There will likely be some kind of climbing/parkour but it may be only in specifically designed areas for it. We just need to wait and see what they decide to do with it. From my understanding it isn't a trivial issue because it adds a lot more possibilities in where people can go and what they may be able to do that would need to be accounted for to prevent exploits, skipping over content etc. It just adds a lot more for the devs to consider and think about when they design zones, dungeons etc.
  • They already have to do the core design in a way that isn't exploitable by flight or at least isn't generally rewarding enough for it to be worth someone's time...compared to the other lucrative things they could be doing, given that they have a limited time with a flying mount.

There are already confirmed "gliding" mounts so the principles are still the same. They have to make the world generally unexploitable based on people gliding around.
  • They did express their concern in a recent video about the climbing though. IIRC, their words were previously excited but now they've seen the problems it can cause. It probably won't work as they previously planned and showed anymore so we'll need to wait how they'll go about it now.
  • diwata said:
    They did express their concern in a recent video about the climbing though. IIRC, their words were previously excited but now they've seen the problems it can cause. It probably won't work as they previously planned and showed anymore so we'll need to wait how they'll go about it now.
    They also expressed that climbing and "parkour" mechanics were something they were very interested in implementing. But said when they were looking into implementing it, they were running into technical issues. More specifically, they wanted to make all terrain climbable. So, although it isn't something that is currently in the game, if they so happen to find a solution to their issue, it is very possible that they will implement it.
  • I hope they communicate some of what they're struggling with. If its technical its obviously something we can't really help with, but if its just conceptual problems the community can really bring about all sorts of ideas.
  • This was from the latest livestream, but they'll have one next week so maybe you can pose a question in the livestream question thread:

The initial plan was to make everything climbable but the problem was keeping players from places they shouldn't be going to. They're still looking into it though.