Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Holidays

Please put great effort into holiday events.  Decorate the world.  Make us feel like Halloween or Christmas, or whatever holiday you want to make up.  Just make sure we feel the change in the world from towns to dungeons, to traveling roads.  Have full blown events and really cool prizes.  

Thank you.

Comments

• Options
    You dont want much.
    rigamorti said:
      Have full blown events and really cool prizes. 
    I found your prizes what do you think.

Related image

• Options
    Its so important to feel like the world is ever changing in video games. It brings such life into the game preventing stale cities and so on. Id love if seeing a city with houses completely decorated in Christmas or Halloween props. Im sure the personalization will always be there for holidays.
  • Options
    rigamorti said:
    Please put great effort into holiday events.  Decorate the world.  Make us feel like Halloween or Christmas, or whatever holiday you want to make up.  Just make sure we feel the change in the world from towns to dungeons, to traveling roads.  Have full blown events and really cool prizes.  

Thank you.

Devs please do not acknowledge holidays, do not allow pop culture in this game or traditions that we celebrate.
    The game doesn't take place on earth, they don't know Santa or Halloween.
    Take the time to make original holidays native to that world, give them lore and history.
    I wont complain if there are similarities, but if folk start wearing Santa hats and hiding Easters eggs, I will very disappointed.
    Devs cant afford to be lazy if you want your game to celebrated decades from now.
  • Options
    rigamorti said:

Thank you.

Devs please do not acknowledge holidays, do not allow pop culture in this game or traditions that we celebrate.
    Take the time to make original holidays native to that world, give them lore and history.
    I wont complain if there are similarities, but if folk start wearing Santa hats and hiding Easters eggs, I will very disappointed.
    Devs cant afford to be lazy if you want your game to celebrated decades from now.
    Man you got a good point, maybe that is a good idea. I think the vast crowds probably like the real life aspect of the game. Even if it is its own world. I like your idea but at the same time I feel like the holiday stuff is fun. Maybe their own version would be just perfect. Calling it its own thing but sharing similarities. Sounds great
  • Options
    rigamorti said:

Thank you.

I would like to see in-game Holidays that follow the lore.  Different is good but too different and too alien from what we have irl would fall flat too. I agree:  No Santa Clause or Greatfather or whatever …...

I mean, we're probably looking at a world that is round, orbits a 'sun' in roughly one of our 'years' and has seasons that correspond to winter, spring, summer, and fall.

It's going to be a high fantasy world that to some extent mirrors medieval Europe IF magic, monsters, legends and myths were real.

Many of the holidays we earthlings celebrate derive from the harvest and the changing of the seasons.

Equinox and solstice holidays along with 'harvest' time festivals make sense. You could add historical holidays that tie strictly to the lore EXCEPT that there
    will be NONE OF THAT since we are reentering the world and building our server history from ZERO.  Still, I'm sure something could be added to celebrate the day we first come back through the gates and then add a day to celebrate the first Metropolis and then the day the first Metropolis falls in battle.

• Options
    Events are a must, I don't really care whether they go along with real ones or completely new ones as long as it is interesting :3
  • Options
    Events are a must, I don't really care whether they go along with real ones or completely new ones as long as it is interesting :3
    yeah as long as their interesting itll be ok :p
  • Options
    I can already see this thread ending badly
  • Options
    nagash said:
    Probably because they turn into a fight of "I'm right your not, listen to my opinion" xD
  • Options
    Personally I would like to see 8 seasonal festivals IG. they should last about 2 weeks RL time each. Most of them would fall over the RL holidays because most of the real life holidays come from seasonal festivals.

I really dont care if they introduce santa hats or pumpkin heads into the game as long as they tell a good story why they are there.
  • Options
    Holiday events are my fav, I hope it's not too limited but I would like to see everyone in the community get involved. 
  • Options
    nagash said:
    Didn't pretty much the exact same one get shut down last year?
  • Options
    nagash said:
    Didn't pretty much the exact same one get shut down last year?
    Yep.
  • Options
    zazukeys said:
    Holiday events are my fav, I hope it's not too limited but I would like to see everyone in the community get involved. 
     yo love your ace art. and yeah the community involvement would be great
  • Options
    I was just about to make a video about this but I'll post my thoughts here because this is a good thread.

So I was watching Paradox Gaming Network yesterday and @Jahlon said Steven said there wouldn't be Halloween in the game because everyone hated Stufferton. I completely disagree.

You can't stop Halloween.  If I want to make my freehold look spooky all I have to do is switch to a necromancer skin. Same with my armor. People will find a way. If I want to give away candy I'll lower the price to 1 ember and release small batches so 1 person doesn't buy it all. 

For Christmas I'll drop things on the floor. We can't gift but we can drop stuff on the floor can't we? Unless the only options are Equip and Destroy. If those are the only options then let's find a caravan and fight so we don't incur corruption. I'll let you kill me and your present will be anything that drops. Then we switch. Same with Valentine's Day.

For 4th of July, Bastille Day, Canada Day, New Years, whatever, we have fireworks. A firework has already been promised. If not, we can all shoot our weapons into the sky. Can't stop it.

Reason 1. Can't stop it.
    Reason 2. Steven will lose a 100 million dollars each holiday if he doesn't allow it.

Halloween is a huge candy season. Christmas is huge for retail. Mother's Day, Father's Day etc...etc... From a business standpoint why would you get rid of you biggest money makers? It makes economic sense to have holidays.

Reason 1. Can't stop it.
    Reason 2. Economic boom
    Reason 3.  Player Feedback

There is a group of vocal people who say it will break immersion. I agree. It will. But who wants to live in a dull boring world? Events are what make MMOs fun. Also, Halloween has been around for 2000 years. https://www.history.com/topics/halloween/history-of-halloween

I see no reason we can't celebrate the holidays the way they did 2000 years ago without breaking immersion. Instead of carving pumpkins we'll carve turnips. Instead of Iron Man costumes we'll wear animal skins or dress like scarecrows. Holidays are totally doable if you handle the artwork correctly. Just use artwork that doesn't break immersion. 

Now a side note about Stufferton.
    What happens when I cross a llama with a bear? Won't that create a Stufferton-like creature? Llama + anything will probably create a stuffed animal looking thing. Llama Bear, Alpaca Bear, that's Stufferton. If you can breed for curly hair and you can breed bears, well, what does that create?

• Options
    sunfrog said:
    I was just about to make a video about this but I'll post my thoughts here because this is a good thread.

So I was watching Paradox Gaming Network yesterday and @Jahlon said Steven said there wouldn't be Halloween in the game because everyone hated Stufferton. I completely disagree.

You can't stop Halloween.  If I want to make my freehold look spooky all I have to do is switch to a necromancer skin. Same with my armor. People will find a way. If I want to give away candy I'll lower the price to 1 ember and release small batches so 1 person doesn't buy it all. 

For Christmas I'll drop things on the floor. We can't gift but we can drop stuff on the floor can't we? Unless the only options are Equip and Destroy. If those are the only options then let's find a caravan and fight so we don't incur corruption. I'll let you kill me and your present will be anything that drops. Then we switch. Same with Valentine's Day.

For 4th of July, Bastille Day, Canada Day, New Years, whatever, we have fireworks. A firework has already been promised. If not, we can all shoot our weapons into the sky. Can't stop it.

Reason 1. Can't stop it.
    Reason 2. Steven will lose a 100 million dollars each holiday if he doesn't allow it.

Halloween is a huge candy season. Christmas is huge for retail. Mother's Day, Father's Day etc...etc... From a business standpoint why would you get rid of you biggest money makers? It makes economic sense to have holidays.

Reason 1. Can't stop it.
    Reason 2. Economic boom
    Reason 3.  Player Feedback

There is a group of vocal people who say it will break immersion. I agree. It will. But who wants to live in a dull boring world? Events are what make MMOs fun. Also, Halloween has been around for 2000 years. https://www.history.com/topics/halloween/history-of-halloween

I see no reason we can't celebrate the holidays the way they did 2000 years ago without breaking immersion. Instead of carving pumpkins we'll carve turnips. Instead of Iron Man costumes we'll wear animal skins or dress like scarecrows. Holidays are totally doable if you handle the artwork correctly. Just use artwork that doesn't break immersion. 

Now a side note about Stufferton.
    What happens when I cross a llama with a bear? Won't that create a Stufferton-like creature? Llama + anything will probably create a stuffed animal looking thing. Llama Bear, Alpaca Bear, that's Stufferton. If you can breed for curly hair and you can breed bears, well, what does that create?

Stufferton was awesome and I kind of regret not getting him, people need to stop being offended by any item they deem un-immersive 
  • Options
    I would really love to see Holidays exclusive to AoC. Made up holidays that follow lore of the world(s). Heck for instance "Emergence Day" a holiday centered around the launch of AoC and an in-game holiday which will be its launch day anniversary. I think that'd be really cool.
  • Options
    Here here! I second @Despaireaux motion!
  • Options
    sunfrog said:

WOAH NELLY

Post hocergo propter hoc

That's a little out context here's all of the context:  

Steven is hesitant to have anything that is heavily real-world themed.  The slight tippy-toe into that area with the Valentine’s stuff saw a resounding feedback from the community. 

Additionally, the community saw feedback from immersion breaking cosmetics the example being Stufferton.

So...Steven is reluctant to have anything real-world themed, BECAUSE of the REACTIONS of the community.

That doesn't mean we won't see a Halloween Themed Holiday, a Christmas Themed Holiday, they probably won't be called Halloween and Christmas.

• Options
    I am not a fan of real life holidays mirrored in game, but can appreciate a lot of people do like them. However if we are going for a non immersion breaking game then the events if they are to be timed with real life events should be subtle and non immersion breaking. So Halloween we be more about the raising and then defeat of the dead. Something the whole server would need to come together to over come. Just stay away from trick or treat candy and all the commercial trappings of the holiday.
  • Options
    You just said the same thing with better words. I'm confused. Jahlon said:
    sunfrog said:

WOAH NELLY

So...Steven is reluctant to have anything real-world themed, BECAUSE of the REACTIONS of the community.

That doesn't mean we won't see a Halloween Themed Holiday, a Christmas Themed Holiday, they probably won't be called Halloween and Christmas.

• Options
    sunfrog said:
    You just said the same thing with better words. I'm confused. Jahlon said: mo
    sunfrog said:

WOAH NELLY

It was the reaction to just Stufferton.

There was more to it, just wanted to fill in all the details.  
  • Options
    Personally, stuff like Xmas, Halloween, and stuffertons in a fantasy game that spends so much time constructing its own world and lore looks tacky, gimmicky, and cheap. It's like a serious fantasy world suddenly has Comicon.

Agree with others - if you have to put in events make them tied to the lore and not filled with obvious real-world references/themes. I'm open to there being good events, but I just haven't seen any in other MMOs...they're always full of meaningless tasks for transient rewards like candy buffs.

Disclaimer: I don't live in the US and Halloween/Christmas don't mean anything to me.

• Options
    This weekend Steven answered this very question in Krojak's livestream. Holidays will be present, they will not match Earth holidays exactly, and will be region specific. Steven spent about an hour and half in the stream answering questions and if you haven't given it a listen and want to be informed, here is a link. Starts at around 00:55 when Steven joins. 
  • Options
    This weekend Steven answered this very question in Krojak's livestream. Holidays will be present, they will not match Earth holidays exactly, and will be region specific. Steven spent about an hour and half in the stream answering questions and if you haven't given it a listen and want to be informed, here is a link. Starts at around 00:55 when Steven joins. 
    and in their time of need he came bringing knowledge 
  • Options
    I love holidays in game and look forward to them.  Hopefully they can do like EQ2 and have Nights of the Dead, Frostfell, Erollisi Day, Brell Day, Tinker Fest, Hero's Day, etc.