Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

No one even noticed...

This whole time I have been looking at this class list and thought there was something unique about it. I thought it was because of the way the system is built with the secondary class. That wasn't it. It's the Tank class. No one even noticed the linguistic phenomena that happened right under our noses. All the other classes are typical professions one would historically find in one form or another throughout fantasy and sci-fi genres. But, "Tank" has always been a slang jargon verb to describe the class controlling the fight and drawing aggro. Warrior, Paladin, Guardians, etc.; you'll find them in any game PC, console, tabletop, card games, RP games, and in literature and film. Ashes of Creation (if the name stands as is at launch) will be the first time the word is used as an actual profession you would hear one use in the fictional world; the way an NPC might refer to someone consistently with an immersive dialogue. We've redefined the word for this game exclusively. There aren't any real metal rolling tanks in the game. So where did it come from? The answer is we're treating it as a naturally occurring word that the fictional citizens of AoC randomly decided to call someone controlling a fight and drawing aggro.

I just find it fascinating, a genre first. :)

Comments

• Options
    This was pointed out when the list first came out and we decided it does not matter. There were 2 or 3 forum posts about it, but the conversation died fairly quickly due to the lack of interest in what it is called.
  • Options
    This was pointed out when the list first came out and we decided it does not matter. There were 2 or 3 forum posts about it, but the conversation died fairly quickly due to the lack of interest in what it is called.

Thank you professor buzzkill
  • Options
    Powurshot said:

Thank you professor buzzkill
    NO PROBLEM! I live to please :)
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited October 2018
    I doubt all the names are final, A lot of them actually are bland, boring and sound stupid in some instances. Tank could just be placeholder for now and become Warrior, Guardian, etc. God help us if they keep the Fighter names the same. Spellsword, Highsword, bladecaller, Shadowblade…..these names are godawful. It feels like some of the names took 5 minutes to come up with. So I would wait and see if they don't change some of the names. It's like they just added a generic descriptive word for that class in front of the word "Sword" for several classes. 

"Hey what should we call a Mage+someone who uses a sword?" SPELLSWORD! What about a Tank? SPELLSHIELD! The names are really quite awful. 
  • Options
    Some of the names especially the tank are kind of weird, but as long as the devs give me some sound reasoning as for my a class is called that then I don't mind.
  • Options
    I doubt all the names are final, A lot of them actually are bland, boring and sound stupid in some instances. Tank could just be placeholder for now and become Warrior, Guardian, etc. God help us if they keep the Fighter names the same. Spellsword, Highsword, bladecaller, Shadowblade…..these names are godawful. It feels like some of the names took 5 minutes to come up with. So I would wait and see if they don't change some of the names. It's like they just added a generic descriptive word for that class in front of the word "Sword" for several classes. 

"Hey what should we call a Mage+someone who uses a sword?" SPELLSWORD! What about a Tank? SPELLSHIELD! The names are really quite awful. 
    The reasoning behind the ARCHETYPE names are to be very basic.