Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Battle Royal as different game but still part of AoC

As far as we can tell BR is very popular type of battleground. 
As far as we can tell people in AoC don't want BR as part of the game.
But what if Steven and team could launch current BR as different game what thell story of the past. 
At least People who get access to this mode can say its kinda fun, by myself I can say its pretty good, I like the idea of different weapons and those books. 
So I thought what if Intrepid studio make another game what could give them another source of money while creating AoC and future content. 
What do you think. 
Personaly think about it Like hearthstone and WoW. 
Though playing BR you can unlock some cosmetics or something like that

Comments

• Options
    Options 5: I don't care if they add it to AoC as long as it's post-launch so they don't have another thing to polish for launch.
  • Options
    Well, there is notching to polish in BR. Its already made, only thing what will have to polish is animation and add some sounds what will in other choice be in the game otcherwise. And If you don't care then voce "I don't care" if you want...
  • Options
    Personaly I think about it like hearthstone and WoW
  • Options
    Adding it as an in-game event is the only thing could accept really. I want AoC not to be divided into separate games based on modes like fortnite...
  • Options
    There's no need for a BR mode in this game. You will have open world pvp. You'll have arena, Guild Vs. Guild, Sieges, Caravans as well as actual battlegrounds areas that automatically flag people as combatants. Having a BR doesn't do anything for the game. Unless you're going to put in PvP progression so you can earn gear and weapons etc. through just pvp. I don't see any need for it. This games an MMORPG, not a BR. No need to include BR. It's good for testing purpose and lets just keep it that way. They're trying to create a full MMORPG, not a BR.
  • Options
    If they don't take it down when the testing is done and decide to keep it up I would say it may damage the MMO and put people off.
  • Options
    @McKnightrider
    As I said as not part of AoC but different game, different launcher itc.
  • Options
    Rainer said:
    @McKnightrider
    As I said as not part of AoC but different game, different launcher itc.
    No. There's no reason to create a BR game from this, and doing so could even be extremely detrimental to the actual outcome of the game.
  • Options
    pvp  wrecks  games.  twerking  classes  to  fill pvp  break more games. 
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited October 2018
    There is already a thread about this with the majority of replies being against turning the BR style testbed into its own thing.

You should have made an effort and looked first before making this pointless thread.
  • Options
    Nothing against BR games, but a separate game means Intrepid diverting resources from the development and progress of the MMO, so no.
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    What are you all talking about -,-" Just release it as it is, no resources needed, few changes wouldn't hurt because BR is too simple to design. NOTHING TO LOSE.

EDIT: The more modes the better, I would also like to see a MOBA mode. MOBA is similar to MMORPGs in terms of classes & roles.
  • Options
    Tsukasa said:
    What are you all talking about -,-" Just release it as it is, no resources needed, few changes wouldn't hurt because BR is too simple to design. NOTHING TO LOSE.

EDIT: The more modes the better, I would also like to see a MOBA mode. MOBA is similar to MMORPGs in terms of classes & roles.
    Of course it would need polish, and balance and updates etc...

Also, yikes. Anything else you would like my friend? I think they have an obligation to KS to finish up the MMO as top priority. What they do with the profits and after it's out is up to them, I wouldn't mind a million games either but time and money friend.
  • Options
    burn it
  • Options
    I Find BR mode super fun to play, but it dosn't need much tweaking to release it in current state. 

I hope it returns as an option to que for when you want. 
    It' should not reward anything considered "good" as ppl will think they are forced to play it. maybe just cosmetic. 
    Maybe a ranking system at some point for winning or makeing kills. 

I even like it in current mode but if it stays i hope to see these improvements.

When you que you get a "unique" weapon for the class you play as a starting weapon. like a mage get a spell and a warrior get a sword. nothing op, you still want to pickup weapons from the ground insted.

-Tweak it so everyone get down on the ground at around the same time. atm it seems to be ping and spacebar spam related :) 
    -Add more spells / weapons to pickup. 
    -Add unique armor models. 

other than that i actually think everything is in general fine. 
    maybe add the option to solo que vs other solo que'ers. 

• Options
    Bury the game mode as soon as the necessary testing is done. I don't think it fits here, even as a standalone mode. 
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    They are sure to be collecting data that they need for later phases. A good indication is the anecdotal evidence that they needed to add a bunch of the A2 people just to get enough people to que for matches. While they always had the plan to let people who didn't pay for A1 access in, was stated it would be after A1 had run for a good while. Since we just had the NDA drop and still no "official" A1P1 start, them having to dip into a larger pool of testers just to get people to play the BR doesn't bode well for its future. When you have people that paid $500 or more just say "fuck it, I'll do that later...." you may want to rethink those choices.
  • Options
    All my faith in this game is at 0% till this battle royal is buried and forgotten.
  • Options
    Well, after several tries, I managed to play an almost decent game. I didn't kill anyone but I managed, with more luck than talent, to be the last to be killed.... :D
    I hope that my participation, even short, on these few games could help on this stress test.

As for the Battle Royal, I don't like it at all. It's not because of this one in particular, it's just that I don't like this type of game. The camera is horrible, changing skills with mouse wheel is horrible for me. I am so used to using it for the camera that a high/low bearing for left/right scrolling seems counterproductive to me.
    Shortcuts 1 to 5 have never worked for me, I have a QWERTY keyboard, even after reconfiguring the keys (I did a bug report on Discord).

I hesitated with the answer "No, don't even think about it. Burn this s**t to the ground!" because I suspect that the game is bad right now but I'm not a good judge.

But as it may eventually please others, if Intrepid Studio wants to release it, why not. For me, it has nothing to do with an MMORPG.

• Options
    If enough people enjoy it, they'll release it as a separate game.
  • Options
    Dygz said:
    If enough people enjoy it, they'll release it as a separate game.
    Which is probably their whole plan and the point of even making it for "testing". Pitch a game, use the money generated to make a Battle Royal nobody asked for and cash in on the current generation of teen BR players. *cough* Fortnite *cough*
  • Options

The BR mode does two things that are needed as the game is in early development. 

1.  It allows you to drop in new ideas for abilities/hazards/destructibility/etc, quickly and get tons of direct feedback of how it relates to others already in place based on how players act in the controlled environment of the BR.  It allows for great drop in drop out kind of testing and as they open up the BR to more players you will see more than just those who are good at pushing mechanics in MMOs which will ultimately make your action/tab hybrid combat better.

2. Allows for a tangible connection to the development team and the eventual game and game world. Being able to put hands on a game this early and see the combat evolve helps foster a loyal and dedicated player base in a way that is new.

Ultimately though this does not need to find life as it's own game.  It is a tool and needs to be kept as such.  Over time I would love to see this morph into a type of PTR where before dropping things directly into the game they hold a "PTR Event" for a week or two. This would separate testing balance and tuning from the content so it wasn't spoiled ahead of time.