Cleric: Staff Wielding and Spell Casting

Hey all,
Just wanted to get input from everyone else and hopefully get some input to the Alpha testers/Devs.
I have been watching gameplay and it's looking great! I know that it is in Alpha and that it will become much more polished as time goes on, however I was hoping we could discuss how the Cleric class holds the staff and how they cast.
I for one would love it if the Cleric held the staff in a more confident/relaxed manner and casted with an open hand, much like in the attached picture.  What do you guys think? Is this something that could be done/should be done?  Would you like this change? Or rather have the Cleric hold the staff like a baseball bat? :lol:

Comments

• depends on the god I would say as each cleric will have a different faith and a different way of battle.
  • Since any class can hold a staff and cast with it, it is general animation question and not a class question. No weapon or armor types are class specific and stats will vary from piece to piece depending on quality. They have said that certain classes will be "better" with certain weapons and armor types, but nothing has been shown so far to show what the impact of that will be. Animations are evolving each iteration and they are listening to feedback and "mouth feel."
  • Ah that makes sense.  Since every class could use a staff, spell casting will differ from class to class and even within the same class it may differ based on religious following.  Heck, the religion and views of your character will likely affect what gear is optimal for your archetype.  Some religions may have the clerics wielding shields and maces vs. other religions wielding staves!
  • Sulrak said:
    Ah that makes sense.  Since every class could use a staff, spell casting will differ from class to class and even within the same class it may differ based on religious following.  Heck, the religion and views of your character will likely affect what gear is optimal for your archetype.  Some religions may have the clerics wielding shields and maces vs. other religions wielding staves!
    that's right or at least I hope we get this in game 
  • You know a cleric that heals his wounds and continuously bashes people with a staff would be awesome, heh almost a monk.
  • Any class can wield any weapon.
    I suppose it all depends on the specific ability animation.
  • Sounds good.

I would like to see clerics and other classes utilizing both, their body and their weapon(s).
  • I’m gonna be a wand and shield Tank!!!

(Just kidding.)
  • didn't they already say that every class can wield any weapon but some weapons won't match the abilities of a class so it will most likely force a class to have a specific set of weapon types
  • Juzy said:
    didn't they already say that every class can wield any weapon but some weapons won't match the abilities of a class so it will most likely force a class to have a specific set of weapon types
    This is my concern... the Cleric has a "Staff Combo" ability, which allows them to hit multiple times with their staff and build Focus.  Once at a certain Focus level, they can unleash their "ultimate" and enter into a powerful form.
    So, if they don't use a staff, can they not combo and build Focus then?  If so, then sure they can use any weapon, but will not be able to build focus, and therefore will not be able to use their ultimate, greatly reducing potential?
  • Sulrak said:
    Juzy said:
    didn't they already say that every class can wield any weapon but some weapons won't match the abilities of a class so it will most likely force a class to have a specific set of weapon types
    This is my concern... the Cleric has a "Staff Combo" ability, which allows them to hit multiple times with their staff and build Focus.  Once at a certain Focus level, they can unleash their "ultimate" and enter into a powerful form.
    So, if they don't use a staff, can they not combo and build Focus then?  If so, then sure they can use any weapon, but will not be able to build focus, and therefore will not be able to use their ultimate, greatly reducing potential?
    sounds about right
  • But then I just read on the wiki about "weapon combo" ability... so maybe it changes based on what weapon your character has equipped in the main hand... that would give me a little more hope as far as being able to use multiple weapon types is concerned.